Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default 2012 NFL Combine: Workout Recap - Offensive Linemen

http://walterfootball.com/combine2012workout1.php

Stanford standout guard David DeCastro (6-4, 316) impressed at the Combine just like he did on Saturdays throughout his collegiate career. DeCastro had a 40 time of 5.43 seconds and a 10-yard split at 1.82. He was very strong with and fluid in the field drills. He is a natural knee-bender, and his technique is phenomenal. DeCastro was athletic in all of the drills and made them look easy. DeCastro confirmed his high first-round grade in his Combine performance .

Ohio State center Mike Brewster had a 10-yard split of 1.76 seconds and ran the 40 in 5.35 seconds. That is a very quick time for a center. Brewster did not look very good in the field drills, however. He was reaching at times and will need some work on his technique in the NFL. Brewster's overall Combine performance was rather average.

Iowa guard Adam Gettis had a blistering time of 1.65 in the 10-yard split and an unofficial 40 time of 4.91. That was the fastest time of the offensive linemen in the first group. Gettis also performed well in the vertical jump (31.5) and broad jump (9'4). He was the workout warrior of the offensive linemen. In the field drills, Gettis showed some flaws in his technique, but overall he helped get some attention with his standout performance at the Combine.

Georgia guard/tackle Cordy Glenn had an excellent 40 time of 5.15 and 1.76 in the 10-yard split. Considering that he weighs 345 pounds, his 40 time is extremely impressive. On the field, Glenn was solid, but still has some room for improvement. Specifically, his footwork needs to get better and quicker for NFL pass-rushers. Overall, Glenn confirmed his stock as a pick in the 20-40 range.

Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams had a 40 time of 5.4. He did reasonably well in the on-field drills, but NFL Network drat gurus Mike Mayock and Charles Davis were laying into Adams for his weak bench press total (19) and questioned his lack of weight-room dedication during his five-game suspension to open the 2011 season. Adams surely has been grilled by teams in the interviews. He has a good shot of being a first-round pick because of the demand at left tackle, but Adams has some clear red flags attached to his draft stock.

Baylor center Philip Blake had a good day. He needed it after a moderately disappointing bench press performance on Friday (22 reps). Blake had a good 40 time of 5.09 and looked quick in the field drills. He was athletic and moved well with good knee bend. Blake's Combine should hold him steady as a mid-round pick.

Illinois offensive tackle Jeff Allen had a good day. He looked fluid in the field drills with natural knee bend. Allen had a respectable 26 reps on the bench press and ran the 40 in 5.28 seconds. He is a sleeper prospect who could be a good value pick.

The top-rated offensive linemen in the 2012 NFL Draft, USC left tackle Matt Kalil, started his day with a 40 time of 4.99 and a 10-yard split of 1.70. He showed his speed by topping 20 MPH during his sprint.

Iowa left tackle Riley Reiff is the consensus second-rated tackle in the 2012 NFL Draft class. He ran the 40-yard dash in 5.23 seconds with a 10-yard split of 1.71. Those are quality times for him. Reiff moved well during the field drills. He was fluid with proper knee bend, and he is clearly a technician who has been well coached. Reiff (6-5, 313) had a solid overall Combine.

Iowa State guard/tackle Kelechi Osemele had a quality time of 5.36 seconds in the 40 yard dash despite being 6-foot-6, 333-pounds. Osemele is a power blocker with good length. He had the longest arms of any offensive linemen at the Combine. He should be impressing teams that are looking for a power blocker.

Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin (6-5, 312) did not participate in the field drills, the bench press or the 40-yard dash. It is disappointing, as the other top offensive tackles, Matt Kalil and Riley Reiff, performed in every drill. Martin cited being sick with food poisoning as the reason for him to pass on participating at the Combine.

Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler did well in the field drills. He obviously comes into the league well coached on his technique. Zeitler (6-3, 314) had an average 40 time at 5.39 with 1.75 in the 10-yard split. A solid Combine should help him after a so-so Senior Bowl.

A sleeper offensive lineman is Rutgers guard Desmond Wynn (6-6, 303). He ran the 40 in 5.05 seconds flat. He is a quality athlete and could be a good value pick in the mid to late rounds.
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default Re: 2012 NFL Combine: Workout Recap - Offensive Linemen

jason smith , the big winner of the 2009 combine and second over all pick is on the verge of being shit canned by the rams ....BUST !!!!

Quote:
This was supposed to be a year to take a step forward, but St. Louis looks like one of the worst teams in the league. Some of their young players, notably tackle Jason Smith, appear to be regressing.

The No. 2 overall pick of the 2009 draft was benched during another poor performance Sunday.

“It wasn’t my best game. And the coaches pulled me out,” Smith said via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I had some penalties in crucial situations. . . . And I need to play better so I can help the team.”

The Rams drafted Smith to play left tackle and he’s on the right side now. It’s debatable whether he’s even a league-average starter there.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

I think Smith either needs to be moved to Guard ala Gallery...or he needs a change f scenery...I think his confidence is shot...Like Kraig Urbick's was here...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I think Smith either needs to be moved to Guard ala Gallery...or he needs a change f scenery...I think his confidence is shot...Like Kraig Urbick's was here...
I dont think Urbik lost confidence. He didnt make it thru his 2nd training camp and was cut.

I never understood why we kept 4th round pick Tony Hills for 4 years and he never panned out....yet we cut a 3rd round pick after shortly over 1 year with the team and he has been playing for Buffalo since then
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I dont think Urbik lost confidence. He didnt make it thru his 2nd training camp and was cut.

I never understood why we kept 4th round pick Tony Hills for 4 years and he never panned out....yet we cut a 3rd round pick after shortly over 1 year with the team and he has been playing for Buffalo since then
To me that's a direct reflection on the O-Line coaches...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
To me that's a direct reflection on the O-Line coaches...
Yeah, maybe when Kugler was hired he decided that Urbik wasnt his guy, wasnt drafted with Kugler input and wasnt somebody that he wanted to develop.

As for Tony Hills, some may be surprised to know that he was drafted and Carl Nicks was still on the board. Missed that one badly huh?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Yeah, maybe when Kugler was hired he decided that Urbik wasnt his guy, wasnt drafted with Kugler input and wasnt somebody that he wanted to develop.

As for Tony Hills, some may be surprised to know that he was drafted and Carl Nicks was still on the board. Missed that one badly huh?

But when it comes to the way Colbert Picks for the OL i'm not surprised.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,410 Posts

Quote:

to be fair EVERY team but the saints missed on nicks. i wonder how much being arrested just before the draft had to do with it ?
plus who'da figured a tackle prospect would turn out to be one of the top guards in football. ( the steelers not trying colon at guard burns my ass to no end)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
to be fair EVERY team but the saints missed on nicks. i wonder how much being arrested just before the draft had to do with it ?
plus who'da figured a tackle prospect would turn out to be one of the top guards in football. ( the steelers not trying colon at guard burns my ass to no end)
I think Nicks only played one year at OT though, but I really liked what I saw of him at the Senior bowl that year and thought we should have taken him ahead of Hills. I think we could have still taken him instead of Dixon in the 5th.

I was so much hoping that we took Nicks back then, but instead Bruce Davis, Tony Hills and Dixon.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

Well I guess this ends the speculation of why we passed on or missed so badly with Nicks-

Quote:
Lance Zierlein ‏ @LanceZierlein

I know my dad had a 2nd round grade on Nicks when he was oline coach at Pittsburgh, but the character concerns took him off the board