Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
MattRhys63
Water Boy

Member Number: 23974
Default Let me get this straight. Are we sticking with Johnson & Smith as our back-up QB's

We are putting, what could effectively be the future of our team for the next 10 years or so (because let's face it, if we don't draft/sort out our offensive line and Ben keeps playing the way he does, he might be gone sooner than we think) in an unproven 23 year old and a flop Heisman winner?

Why aren't we in the mix for Matt Flynn, or maybe even a cheeky bid for Aaron Smith, both of whom are roughly Ben's size and both play exactly the same way as him.

And on a related topic, was the free agent market really all that good, that we could risk cutting Farrior, Smith, Ward AND Kemeoatu? Would we all be willing to write off a year, help blood some young talent in, mixed in with the experienced guys (get a MLB and stick him next to Farrior for a couple of games, let him show him the tricks of the trade).

P.S - First time posting on this board, and I'm British. Please be nice

P.P.S - GO STEELERS
MattRhys63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Let me get this straight. Are we sticking with Johnson & Smith as our back-up QB'

the Steelers simply have no money to spend. they will likely sign another QB, but it won't be for a little while, not until all the desirable QBs are picked over in free agency. we just can't afford to spend much of anything on a backup QB. Matt Flynn is going to a team who will make him their starting QB, and he will be paid like a starting QB. so he is not an option. i assume you mean Alex Smith of the 49ers.. it looks like the 49ers will be resigning Smith unless they sign Peyton Manning. Even if they don't sign Smith, he would go somewhere and get paid starter money. i think we'll just wind up resigning Leftwich if he doesn't get any calls from other teams during free agency.

the play of all those guys declined so much, and coupled with their high salaries and our situation against the cap, we had to let them go. i know Ward would have signed on again for the veteran minimum ($1 million), but i guess the Steelers felt they were so well off at WR and Ward's play had dropped off so significantly, that it just wasn't worth it.

there is already some youth on the team ready to step up.. so letting those guys go didn't all of a sudden create a major weakness in our team. this is certainly not a write off year. as long as Ben stays healthy (unfortunately he didn't this year), the Steelers have as good a chance at the Super Bowl as any team.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Let me get this straight. Are we sticking with Johnson & Smith as our back-up QB'

Howdy Mate, welcome aboard.

Are you from Baltimore or just passing through there?lol. Bbecause they have been smoking some funky stuff down there lately. lol

Why are we not in the mix for Flynn? Because we do not need a starter nor can we afford a 7-9million deal for him. But most importantly, we don't need a starter.

Cheeky bid for Smith? We already gave him 10million over 2 years to do nothing. Or are you talking about Alex Smith? Alex Smith is no Ben Roethlisberger.. No way, no thank you.

Risk cutting Ward? Kemo? Farrior? Farrior is the only risk I see, the other 2 had their days, but it was time.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Alex Smith, if he is not brought back to the 49ers who Harbough has strongly stated he would be back, even though they are not stronger looking at Manning, would have a hard time going someplace to start in the NFL.

Where would he go? He was extremely lucky this year and had a career year unlike anyone career year. In the end it was just that a big year. The entire team peaked and the 49ers know it. Can you say Trent Dilfer? Thats exactly what he was and will be.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
MattRhys63
Water Boy

Member Number: 23974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Howdy Mate, welcome aboard.

Are you from Baltimore or just passing through there?lol. Bbecause they have been smoking some funky stuff down there lately. lol

Why are we not in the mix for Flynn? Because we do not need a starter nor can we afford a 7-9million deal for him. But most importantly, we don't need a starter.

Cheeky bid for Smith? We already gave him 10million over 2 years to do nothing. Or are you talking about Alex Smith? Alex Smith is no Ben Roethlisberger.. No way, no thank you.

Risk cutting Ward? Kemo? Farrior? Farrior is the only risk I see, the other 2 had their days, but it was time.
Nope, I'm from Colchester in England. Picked up American Football in about 2004 and like the Steelers because at the time I thought Roethlisberger was a funny name, as was Randel El, Polamalu and a few others, so I just picked up from there and now follow the Steelers as much as I can living in a different country.

I'll admit, my knowledge will never be up to the scratch of some of you guys across the pond as you get to see them (and the other NFL teams) every week at a reasonable hour, instead of having to stay up until 4am on a Monday morning on dodgy internet streams, so I'll take opinions from you guys as facts and better than mine, I'll just make opinions based on the few times I get to watch NFL when I'm not doing my degree at University.

But my point about guys like Ward being a risk cutting is that, yes they are getting on a bit (apart from Chris, who's still at a reasonable age), but surely they can still play SOME part in the organisation, even if you restrict them to special teams. Even if you have to give them a slight pay-cut, surely some of these guys that have worn the Black and Gold for so many years, they will be happy to take maybe 10% if it means they still get to play football for one of the top teams in the league
MattRhys63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Well you picked the right team to hook on to. Welcome.

Kemo has a The DnSnD disease (Dumb Stupid and Deaf. There is no cure for that. Ward at his age was easily replaced.
Farrior or Foote had to go, they went with young and slow as opposed to quiker and older.

10% cut? They were 90% over paid, lol Vet min was probably to much for Kemo and perhaps Ward. Im not sold that Farrior won't be back. I think there is a chance he could be back this year.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Steel Boss
Water Boy

Member Number: 18986

I do think that cap permitting, they should look into bringing in somebody like Rex Grossman. Definitely rather that than another year of Batch, or paying Leftwich to listen to his ipod.
Steel Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Rex Grossman? Come on....
I rather pay 3 back up QBs to listen to their ipods, as that means Ben is playing and not hurt.

Besides, he is listening to the play calling, not the beegees.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Never going to win a Super Bowl without Ben anyways, so having Charlie Batch or Troy Smith as a backup is pretty much the same pile of rubbish, but one is a bit younger.

The salary cap that teams have to deal with really throws a spanner in the works. Its why the old farts like Farrior, Ward, Smith get released and the young lads like Hood, Brown and some ILB draft pick will get more time.

Welcome to the board, thats about all I got in the way of helping transition into the forum. Other than when talking about Draft picks, I think Mike Adams is a shandy drinker, while Osemele is more likely to toss back a Newkie Brown and then glass you with the bottle. ;)

Cheers,
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,088 Times in 4,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Never going to win a Super Bowl without Ben anyways, so having Charlie Batch or Troy Smith as a backup is pretty much the same pile of rubbish, but one is a bit younger.

The salary cap that teams have to deal with really throws a spanner in the works. Its why the old farts like Farrior, Ward, Smith get released and the young lads like Hood, Brown and some ILB draft pick will get more time.

Welcome to the board, thats about all I got in the way of helping transition into the forum. Other than when talking about Draft picks, I think Mike Adams is a shandy drinker, while Osemele is more likely to toss back a Newkie Brown and then glass you with the bottle. ;)

Cheers,
your english is superb! i never knew you spoke 2 languages.