Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: A Case for Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Where do you people come from? Look, I'm not even saying you're wrong (although you are, of course) but you shouldn't expect to come on a pro football site, contradict the sum total of accepted wisdom on a topic and not be called out on it.

So tell us: how is Poe more of a 3-4 end than Still?
Where do I come from? Well, I joined this board sometime around 2006 and I reside in Irwin, Pennsylvania if that helps answer that particular question.

I also come from the standpoint of just watching the only Dontari Poe - Memphis film available online several times through last night.

Poe plays with very little leverage. At his height you need to get a hell of a lot lower than I've ever seen him manage if you want to play nose effectively. The prototypical nose tackle is under 6'2; if you are not under that height, you better be exceptional at making yourself as short as possible - Poe isn't. I'm not saying he can't turn into a productive nose tackle, but it's going to take a lot of coaching. Just because he's 350+ lbs doesn't make him the uber version of Casey Hampton. Still on the other hand consistently shows he can get under the opponents pads and hold a double team. Poe is much better playing sideline to sideline and getting penetration. Those skills are nice to have in the middle of a 34 front but they are not the necessary traits needed to be that Wilfork/Hampton/Ngata type player. Poe's skills lend themselves much more to playing end in a 34.

The "total sum of accepted wisdom" as you call it is more often than not wrong when it comes to player evaluation. Particularly on message boards.

Last edited by ShutDown24; 03-15-2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors
ShutDown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,486 Posts

Shutdown, I dont see a guy like Still at 6'5" 303lbs being a NT. Especially since most of the scouts and NFL writers like Pasquerelli, Tony Pauline, Mel Kiper and yes the local scribes like Dulac and Bouchette all say he is either a 5 technique or a 3 technique.

I think Hood, Heyward, Keisel and Al Woods are good depth at DE. Heck , I think McClendon can play DE for us too. Dont need to draft Still.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Shutdown, I dont see a guy like Still at 6'5" 303lbs being a NT. Especially since most of the scouts and NFL writers like Pasquerelli, Tony Pauline, Mel Kiper and yes the local scribes like Dulac and Bouchette all say he is either a 5 technique or a 3 technique.

I think Hood, Heyward, Keisel and Al Woods are good depth at DE. Heck , I think McClendon can play DE for us too. Dont need to draft Still.
Oh I'm not saying we should draft him, but to imply Dontari Poe can play nose tackle anymore effectively than Devon Still is insane, media-driven garbage. Poe ends up on the ground consistently when trying to handle a one on one run block. He gets blown way off the ball everytime he is double teamed.

Still is much better suited for 43DT or 34DE, but he could handle nose if asked of him. I really don't know if Poe could even play the position without a year or two of coaching.

If you're looking at Poe as a 34 nose he shouldn't even have a first round grade on your board. He's a huge man but has very little functional strength.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Like I've said before Still reminds me a lot of Ratliff, fast, smart, and sure tackler. He would give us the inside pressure that we have needed for years to get to pocket quarterbacks like Brady and Rogers.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #15
ShutDown24
Team President

Has anyone who wants the Steelers to draft Poe even seen him play?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Has anyone who wants the Steelers to draft Poe even seen him play?
Poe is very raw but has tremendous potential given proper coaching but he is definitely not a top 10 pick like most claim he is post-combine. I would take him if he fell to 24 though.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #17
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,118 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I'd actually be shocked if he made it past 15, and surprised if he was their at 10. I didn't see him at the Combine, and i'd still be surprised if he's still there.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I'd actually be shocked if he made it past 15, and surprised if he was their at 10. I didn't see him at the Combine, and i'd still be surprised if he's still there.
Do you mean Still or Poe?

If you are referring to Poe, I totally agree with you. His stock is extremely high right now and only trending up.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Where do you people come from? Look, I'm not even saying you're wrong (although you are, of course) but you shouldn't expect to come on a pro football site, contradict the sum total of accepted wisdom on a topic and not be called out on it.

So tell us: how is Poe more of a 3-4 end than Still?
I guess my answer was sufficient?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Oh I'm not saying we should draft him, but to imply Dontari Poe can play nose tackle anymore effectively than Devon Still is insane, media-driven garbage. Poe ends up on the ground consistently when trying to handle a one on one run block. He gets blown way off the ball everytime he is double teamed.

Still is much better suited for 43DT or 34DE, but he could handle nose if asked of him. I really don't know if Poe could even play the position without a year or two of coaching.

If you're looking at Poe as a 34 nose he shouldn't even have a first round grade on your board. He's a huge man but has very little functional strength.
Poe is that classic workout warrior for the combine setting that hasnt put the work on tape that you would like to see. Memphis played a 4-3 from what I remember, so the guy is gonna need a year of coaching at least to play zero. If he pans out at all. He is a gamble, but could pay off big time.

My point to this thread is that Devon Still is not best suited for NT, just as Ziggy Hood is not. So why draft another DE when you have Keisel, Hood, Heyward and Al Woods. Heck, Steve McClendon can play DE if needed too.