Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,950 Times in 3,010 Posts
Default Re: Hines Ward Officially Announces Retirement

heres the best hines ward retirement article i have read penned by jim wexell. it gave goosebumps and brought back bone crunching memories. way too long to post all here but is a must read-

http://pit.scout.com/2/1163525.html

Quote:
* I met Hines Ward at minicamp in “the ghetto” of the Three Rivers Stadium locker room in 1998. It was an annex of the locker room where the Steelers put all of their rookies, except for their first three draft picks. Ward was the fourth that year, but regardless of his status Hines was ebullient that day. You could tell right then that he had found his new home.

* What a champ, I thought. “Rookie of the Year,” I wrote.

* Ward didn’t win any awards that season, but who will ever forget the tackles he made on special teams that first preseason? Or his number 15?

* I remember the Monday night game in Kansas City in 1998, when Ward came out of the huddle trying to get the glove off his right hand, and I remember thinking that something was up just before he got the ball and threw a 17-yard pass back to Kordell Stewart on third-and-10.

* Ward’s friend Bobby Shaw once told me to ask Ward about the “target board.” It was something Ward had put up in the wide receivers’ meeting room. “If there’s a DB who wants to play dirty, trying to punk somebody out, we’ll put him on there,” Ward explained. “Once he’s on there, somebody has to go after him on every play.”

* The “target board” came to symbolize the rest of Ward’s career. It was born out of a response to a cheap shot Bills safety Kurt Schultz had put on Troy Edwards during a preseason game.

* The story reminded me of Blaine Bishop, one of Ward’s first nemeses. And then I remembered Victor Green, who hit Ward over the middle during a game in 2000 and warned Ward that he’d better not come over the middle again. Ha. Ward went after Green the rest of the game before the worn down Green said to Plaxico Burress, “Tell your boy to chill out.” Burress replied: “I’m not telling him nothing.”

* Green later complained to his wife, and his wife told Lee Flowers’ wife, “That No. 86 needs to calm down a little bit,” she said. And it eventually got back to a chuckling Steelers locker room.

* Green tried but he could not get revenge the next time out.

* Earl Little and his Cleveland teammates tried that revenge thing in 2001. Two plays after Little had threatened to kill Ward, Ward gave him a concussion.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Thanks for everything Hines. I am glad he retired a Steeler. I loved having him because friends of mine who would root for other teams would always bellyache about that damn dirty Ward but I would always remind them that if they had him, they would love him like we were able to these past 14 years. Hope to see you at Canton, Hines.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,950 Times in 3,010 Posts

interesting story from pat kirwan that illustrates all the small things hines ward did that made him so great-

he was talking to a former DC (think it was broncos greg robinson).

in hines rookie season, they drew up a play where hines would go in motion behind the LOS and penetrate up into ath A-B gap to fish out the safety (steve atwater) and spring jerome bettis for a long gain. he said many defenses tried to stop this (never really could) and a ton of offenses tried to incorporate the same play into their playbooks (no other team was able to have any success with it).

hines was a game changer, scheme changer, and a rule changer.

this is why i think he will have a leg up on other wr's when it comes time to that yellow jacket.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
interesting story from pat kirwan that illustrates all the small things hines ward did that made him so great-

he was talking to a former DC (think it was broncos greg robinson).

in hines rookie season, they drew up a play where hines would go in motion behind the LOS and penetrate up into ath A-B gap to fish out the safety (steve atwater) and spring jerome bettis for a long gain. he said many defenses tried to stop this (never really could) and a ton of offenses tried to incorporate the same play into their playbooks (no other team was able to have any success with it).

hines was a game changer, scheme changer, and a rule changer.

this is why i think he will have a leg up on other wr's when it comes time to that yellow jacket.
I agree 100% on the HOF. It may take a couple of years but Hines will definately go in. Reed didn't win a Super Bowl, and Cris carter was a coked out prima donna early in his career and a prima donna later in his career. Tim Brown should be in. But Ward will get in , not so much because of his numbers but because of his overall game and leadership, Hines changed the game for WR's, with his blocking and they even changed a rule because of him.

Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote