Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: A Case for Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
My point to this thread is that Devon Still is not best suited for NT, just as Ziggy Hood is not. So why draft another DE when you have Keisel, Hood, Heyward and Al Woods. Heck, Steve McClendon can play DE if needed too.
Yeah, I absolutely agree with all of that. This is probably a good opporunity to say I don't think McClendon gets enough credit. I definitely concur he could play end.

I agree that Poe is a workout warrior. But I don't want my team drafting workout warriors- I wan them drafting football players. I would select Chapman or Ta'amu in the first round before I'd take Poe there. He got pushed around at Memphis. 6'5 350 doesn't mean much to me if you don't have theskill to use it. There are some things that can't be coached.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,619 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Yeah, I absolutely agree with all of that. This is probably a good opporunity to say I don't think McClendon gets enough credit. I definitely concur he could play end.

I agree that Poe is a workout warrior. But I don't want my team drafting workout warriors- I wan them drafting football players. I would select Chapman or Ta'amu in the first round before I'd take Poe there. He got pushed around at Memphis. 6'5 350 doesn't mean much to me if you don't have theskill to use it. There are some things that can't be coached.
I think Poe was playing a one gap position and would take time to learn the NT position. He has worked hard in the weight room to get where he is, but the question will be if he has the motor on the field to develop.

I like the size, motor and strength of Ta'amu better than Chapman. Not sure if Chapman is gonna be around with our 2nd pick though, but the knee could scare some off.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think Poe was playing a one gap position and would take time to learn the NT position. He has worked hard in the weight room to get where he is, but the question will be if he has the motor on the field to develop.

I like the size, motor and strength of Ta'amu better than Chapman. Not sure if Chapman is gonna be around with our 2nd pick though, but the knee could scare some off.
I think Chapman vs Ta'amu really varies depending on what you want out of the position. Ta'amu penetrates better and is much more versatile. With Chapman you're really getting a classic zero technique and nothing else past that. The reason I'd prefer Chapman is that for the Steelers scheme, I don't think Ta'amu will get much chance to use that penetration past first down. Hood, Keisel and especially Heyward should be on the line during passing downs over a nose tackle. With that being the case, I think Chapman is the better fit. He is the only defensive line prospect I saw in this years class who didn't lose ground routinely when facing a double team. The guy is a stud. He just holds his ground and you aren't going to move him - torn ACL or not. He doesn't offer anything in the way of pass rush, but neither has Casey Hampton for the last decade. I would be happy with either player but I think Chapman is still the best fit.