Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: Tomlin may be in line for a new contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Agreed, but we were out coached often this year. On top of that, when we were getting out coached nobody made an adjustment. I do like Tomlin and as I said, we should extend him, but IMO he could be much better.
Highly agreed with the full statement.

Tonkin often left me wondering what the hell he's thinking at times. He definitely made TERRIBLE decisions in Denver this past season. The last drive of regulation was embarrassing and his lack of commmand/leadership really was on display then.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10557
My Mood: Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Black & Gold View Post
Fire his butt. No emotion in that dude. Deer in the headlights during crunch time. Only won a SB with previous coach's team
Has anyone ever told you that smoking meth will kill you
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #13
jwmann2
Water Boy

Member Number: 18374

Two super bowl appearances in six seasons, of course he is. He's a a motivator; a coach the Steelers really respect.
jwmann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Highly agreed with the full statement.

Tonkin often left me wondering what the hell he's thinking at times. He definitely made TERRIBLE decisions in Denver this past season. The last drive of regulation was embarrassing and his lack of commmand/leadership really was on display then.
Yeah the look on his face at times was exactly that, deer in the headlights. Again, I think he is a decent coach with a lot of potential and we should keep him, but I am just not buying into the "great coach who has went to two SB's in four years" argument. Arians did too but that doesn't mean he's a good coach. I will also point out that Tomlin liked BA and his game plan and Tomlin is as responsible for that offense as Arians because he is the boss. I understand him letting his coordinators do what they do and I understand him leaving the defense up to LeBeau (no brainer) but there should have been a few times where he at least made an in game adjustment. There was an in game adjustment needed for the offense in 12 or 13 games but it never came either. Again, I want to keep Tomlin and I think he is decent and has a lot of potential, I just don't see what is "great" about him, yet.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

i pretty much just need to hear what players like john lynch say about him, or watch the 2008 Americas Game to see the potential of a historically great coach.

sure he will probably not invent new schemes and philosophies like lebeau, landry, walsh, but thers no telling what he could accomplish if he chose to coach as long as shula.

in 2008 every game seemed like a playoff game. he did something cowhers team never seemed to be able to do- capitalize on homefield advantage in the playoffs.

in 2010, the qb was initially suspended for the first 6 games of the season. despite that HUGE distraction, the steelers were still in position to win their 7th title (i believe alot of the team took the packers too lightly).

the loss to denver sucked and falls directly on coaching. according to ryan clark they prepared for everything denver could possibly do to beat them EXCEPT for tebow throwing downfield for 300 yds. at that point NOBODY in the nfl thought he could do that.

most people still dont think he could do it again.

if the steelers hadnt failed on that final drive vs ravens, the entire season couldve turned out differently. i think tomlin deserves an extension for constantly having the steelers in the position to do so much.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,594 Times in 1,973 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i pretty much just need to hear what players like john lynch say about him, or watch the 2008 Americas Game to see the potential of a historically great coach.

sure he will probably not invent new schemes and philosophies like lebeau, landry, walsh, but thers no telling what he could accomplish if he chose to coach as long as shula.

in 2008 every game seemed like a playoff game. he did something cowhers team never seemed to be able to do- capitalize on homefield advantage in the playoffs.

in 2010, the qb was initially suspended for the first 6 games of the season. despite that HUGE distraction, the steelers were still in position to win their 7th title (i believe alot of the team took the packers too lightly).

the loss to denver sucked and falls directly on coaching. according to ryan clark they prepared for everything denver could possibly do to beat them EXCEPT for tebow throwing downfield for 300 yds. at that point NOBODY in the nfl thought he could do that.

most people still dont think he could do it again.

if the steelers hadnt failed on that final drive vs ravens, the entire season couldve turned out differently. i think tomlin deserves an extension for constantly having the steelers in the position to do so much.
Great summary. Defense bailed us out many times during the course of the season due to the offenses inability to score, but it did just the opposite in Denver. I guess Clark and another corner (can't remember who) being out didn't help matters.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Black & Gold View Post
Fire his butt. No emotion in that dude. Deer in the headlights during crunch time. Only won a SB with previous coach's team
I can't tell if you're just being sarcastic, but in case you're actually being serious ... how many Super Bowls did Cowher win with Cowher's teams?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
I can't tell if you're just being sarcastic, but in case you're actually being serious ... how many Super Bowls did Cowher win with Cowher's teams?
Few things piss me off more than people saying Tomlin has a "deer-in-headlights" look. First of all, I think people are subconsciously swayed by the fact that his eyes themselves are HUGE, creating sort of a bewildered look sometimes. I feel the exact opposite, actually; that he's an acutely intense and focused coach whose calm, cool demeanor is mistake for emotionless. It's clear to anyone who knows the first thing about this team that he commands every player's respect and there's no doubt the players play for him. He doesn't prowl the sidelines spitting and screaming like Cowher (who I also loved), but that's not necessarily the hallmark of a good coach (see Belichick, Bill.)

As for the "he won with Cowher's team" argument, that's BS. He won with a lot of the same players Cowher failed many times to win with, as is correctly said above me. I loved Cowher as much as anyone, but the fact that he won a Super Bowl towards the very end of his tenure has somewhat made fans forget his numerous big-game failures (94, 95, 97, 01, 04...) Tomlin on the other hand is 2-0 in AFC Championships games and has as many rings as Cowher has and as I continue to type this it becomes more and more clear to me how silly this argument is.

To summarize neatly, of course extend this man and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,377 Times in 3,076 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Not if your name is arians, then it's blamed on poor player execution.
arians is the man, we should have made him head coach
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
Few things piss me off more than people saying Tomlin has a "deer-in-headlights" look. First of all, I think people are subconsciously swayed by the fact that his eyes themselves are HUGE, creating sort of a bewildered look sometimes. I feel the exact opposite, actually; that he's an acutely intense and focused coach whose calm, cool demeanor is mistake for emotionless. It's clear to anyone who knows the first thing about this team that he commands every player's respect and there's no doubt the players play for him. He doesn't prowl the sidelines spitting and screaming like Cowher (who I also loved), but that's not necessarily the hallmark of a good coach (see Belichick, Bill.)

As for the "he won with Cowher's team" argument, that's BS. He won with a lot of the same players Cowher failed many times to win with, as is correctly said above me. I loved Cowher as much as anyone, but the fact that he won a Super Bowl towards the very end of his tenure has somewhat made fans forget his numerous big-game failures (94, 95, 97, 01, 04...) Tomlin on the other hand is 2-0 in AFC Championships games and has as many rings as Cowher has and as I continue to type this it becomes more and more clear to me how silly this argument is.

To summarize neatly, of course extend this man and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

^^^^^^^^ THIS x 1,000,000,000,000,000