Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984
Default Mock draft 2.0 w/ a surprise pick and comps

Now i'm really for trading back in the first if we can, i don't think nobody would really want to move up though maybe i'm wrong but i guess it depends what surprises happen early to make people start to fall

so to start i used
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2012/TE to get values and http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php to try to make sure these players were available when selected ...

1st... Coby Fleener, TE, Standford ... now i know a lot of people will probably hate this pick and want the popular hightower and i understand that, but how much stronger would our offense be with a true receiving TE that can block a little. Miller, Brown and Fleener working the middle while wallace works deep, and we could work more out of a 2 TE set that will help Redman running the ball... now that's a potent offense

2nd ... Kelechi Osemele , OG, Iowa State ,,, i think we all agree we need help up front and Zeitler and Silatolu are both gone

3rd ... Nigel Bradham , LB , FSU ... this is maybe a bias pick of mine, but i like bradham and it gives us depth and he can play pretty much every LB position i think, and can turn into a starter eventually, either for harrison or on the inside

4th... Brandon Taylor, SS, LSU ... i think it's time to think about a safety for the future plus depth ... now Tommy Streeter is still on the board and i know a lot of ppl would like a WR but with the Fleener pick it opens us to look toward the future at SS position

5th... take your choice here both are available , Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU or Nicolas Jean-Baptiste , NT, Baylor .... need some depth along the Dline ... this is subject to change because i think i got a sleeper in the 7th for NT

6th ... Brandon Hardin, FS, Oregon State ... injured last season but his workout was amazing and he's tall ... maybe FS of the future or a good ST player

7th ... Buddy Jackson, CB, Pitt ... another work out warrior and carrer ST player seems like somebody with these comp. picks we should look at... instead of using brown or sanders to return , use this guy

7th ... Ishmaa’ily Kitchen, DT, Kent State ... if we have to take him in the 6th or whatever you take this man ... this is the sleeper i was talking about ... 6'1 343 ... http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=DT

the last 2 you take a kicker and punter to bring in competition

Thoughts?
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989
Default Re: Mock draft 2.0 w/ a surprise pick and comps

not a bad mock

i dont care for fleener in rd1 (no surprise to you im sure) when there are prob better OL prospects and possibly hightower or others who can contribute in a NEED spot from day one

the bradham pick is my fav of yours as he is an absolute terror. but i think hes a guy who has quietly pushed his stock more into the late second round area. hes a presence on a defense and i think one of the more underrated defensive players in this draft. good eye on him.

i dont think fangupo or nic jean-baptiste will be available that late in the draft but you never know...
kitchen is a good sleeper (steelers were present at his pro day) simply because he is a pure 2 down run stuffer and kent st is nearby haha

not to bad overall
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy

I don't think we have to pick a NT this year. Next year is loaded with NT prospects. And I think we take a Offensive lineman in the first. I think someone will slide to us. We can take a ILB 3rd or 4th round that can make an impact in a year or too. No need to rush it. Nothing against Hightower but Burfict should be there for are 4th rounder and the guy is a stud. Yeah I know his stock has been droping but at that point who cares.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
cbrunn
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin7558 View Post
not a bad mock

i dont care for fleener in rd1 (no surprise to you im sure) when there are prob better OL prospects and possibly hightower or others who can contribute in a NEED spot from day one

the bradham pick is my fav of yours as he is an absolute terror. but i think hes a guy who has quietly pushed his stock more into the late second round area. hes a presence on a defense and i think one of the more underrated defensive players in this draft. good eye on him.

i dont think fangupo or nic jean-baptiste will be available that late in the draft but you never know...
kitchen is a good sleeper (steelers were present at his pro day) simply because he is a pure 2 down run stuffer and kent st is nearby haha

not to bad overall
i don't think anybody worth a first pick oline will be there unless martin drops which i don't think he will ... and i'm not real high on hightower , yeah he might fit the steeler mold but i just think the game is evolving and so do maybe the steelers ...and i didn't take hightower just because i think you can get bradham later in the draft at good value

and i love the versatility fleener would give to the offense and giving ben another true weapon , plus his size for red zone ... him along with wes lyons which i think will make the team this year ... a 6'6 TE and 6'8 WR for red zone purposes

i think if you don't think bradham will be there in the 3rd you take him in the 2nd i really like the guy ... then you coulg go with brandon brooks , for the OG position in the 3rd.

yeah not sure if they'll be there at the 5th ...but you could always do BPA there with taking kitchen in the later rounds ...

it's all for fun ... lol must be nice doing this for a living though
Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

I dont mind a TE in the first round but i see TE like most people see RBs. I believe if you arent looking for the do everything type of guy then you could wait til the 4th round or later and get a quality recieving TE. I like getting 2 NTs because there is so much risk in getting a bust. Plus i dont believe Steve Mclenden is the next Chris Hoke. But great job!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
cbrunn
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
I dont mind a TE in the first round but i see TE like most people see RBs. I believe if you arent looking for the do everything type of guy then you could wait til the 4th round or later and get a quality recieving TE. I like getting 2 NTs because there is so much risk in getting a bust. Plus i dont believe Steve Mclenden is the next Chris Hoke. But great job!
i think Fleener is that dual guy... now he's not the greatest blocker yet ... but he can get stronger ... and he definitely been in a pro style offense that ran the ball good in stanford and coached well in stanford

yeah mclenden def, isn't the answer , maybe he'll be an ok backup but i def don't want to go in the season with him being #2
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH THIS. I WAS HOPING WE GRABBED FLEENER IF WE LOST WALLACE BUT I WOULD STILL LIKE HIM SINCE WALLACE MAY BE GONE NEXT SEASON.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,643 Times in 1,994 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Woah. Pete, quit yelling

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
cbrunn
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH THIS. I WAS HOPING WE GRABBED FLEENER IF WE LOST WALLACE BUT I WOULD STILL LIKE HIM SINCE WALLACE MAY BE GONE NEXT SEASON.
the more I"m thinking about it the more i like fleener with the first pick ... i don't think wallace will be gone , i believe he likes being a steeler and we'll pay him a reasonable amount not something crazy ... and heath is pushing 30
Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I would be amazed if Fleener is taken by us. That would be a radical departure for us but it worked for the Pats and with Wallace and Brown added to the mix? Could be a sign of things to come in the NFL. Not as crazy an idea as it first sounds, but I don't think it will happen.

I doubt 2 safeties will be taken and I know for a fact with out having any proof, the Steelers will draft a WR in this year's draft.

I would love to see Brandon Hardin in camp.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote