Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Realistic Steelers mock drafts

i made the comment about Hightower being a 2 down lb'er a few weeks ago and agree with him. he would be awesome at stuffing the run but is a liability against the pass
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i made the comment about Hightower being a 2 down lb'er a few weeks ago and agree with him. he would be awesome at stuffing the run but is a liability against the pass
We like to keep our base defense in on 3rd and long though. I could see him being very useful in our 5 linebacker set but you can count how many times we use that per game on 1 hand. A 1st round pick should be able to contribute all the time. Would you use a 1st on a fullback or a nickel corner?
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791

Want to throw this out there, because its the first time I saw it about Hightower, and I think it makes a big difference. A huge difference, actually.
The common thread that runs through all the Hightower threads is that "he's only a two down linebacker." But there was an addition today. After he's only a two down linebacker..." came "...in a 4-3 defense." Which is a huge difference, since we don't run a 4-3. If he's an everydown linebacker in a 3-4, then he fits our needs as well as anyone we could draft (cept DeCastro)
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Hightower could always be sent on the blitz on 3rd downs as often done by Farrior on downs when he is on the field with 4 linebackers.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Hightower could always be sent on the blitz on 3rd downs as often done by Farrior on downs when he is on the field with 4 linebackers.
Farrior was a great cover linebacker until around 07-08 when he lost a step. Farrior is faster now than Hightower is and that is disheartening.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,527 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
Farrior was a great cover linebacker until around 07-08 when he lost a step. Farrior is faster now than Hightower is and that is disheartening.
if this is the case then no to hightower. if we don't get someone faster than farrior, that will mean we will continue to get abused by ray rice for the next 5 years or so
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
if this is the case then no to hightower. if we don't get someone faster than farrior, that will mean we will continue to get abused by ray rice for the next 5 years or so
Rice might get his payday somewhere else. Hightower could scare rice to the outside where our OLB's and safeties can clean up. I'm not too afraid of hightower when opposing teams run. It's the passing game that hurts his stock in my books
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,572 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Hightower is a similar size and build to Woodley. Farrior seems much skinnier and smaller than Woodley. Is Woodley really faster than Farrior?

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Hightower is a similar size and build to Woodley. Farrior seems much skinnier and smaller than Woodley. Is Woodley really faster than Farrior?
I don't see where this matters but farrior played faster and ran a faster 40 than woodley and still had the ability to change direction which hightower does not and woodley is not as adept at. Woodley also runs his 40 faster than hightower. It almost seems to me like youre suggesting we draft him as a weakside linebacker... On top of that wood covers mostly in the flat. ILB's in this defense drop in coverage a lot. The 3-4 zone blitz is all about being unpredictable, not knowing what linebackers will do until its done. We would lose some of that ability with a player like hightower. The 40 time is irrelevant. Watch gametape and see his ingame speed before making a call on him