Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,479 Posts
Default Re: If Hightower is available at 24, is he a no-brainer pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac151rum View Post
Kind of a tough question, because we don't know who else is available. If Cordy Glenn is still there, should we pick him? What about Mark Barron? And someone always falls, and in this case it might be Keuchly. If it comes down to a choice between Hightower, Adams, and Martin, with all of the above off the board along with the corners, I think its Hightower. But ya never know.
I dont think Glenn is a no brainer at #24, he might turn out to be a RT only and if that is the case, there are lots of guys later on to take like Mitchell Schwartz, to play RT.

If Jon Martin slides, I think he is a no brainer. Athletic, long arms, prototypical LT that needs a year or 2 before moving over there. Adams is another question mark to me. Has all the tools, but doesnt play like an elite prospect.

Hightower might be the equivalent of a Ford F-150 pickup. Going to be solid, but not fast or flashy, rather more versatile. Not a sexy pick, but should be a 2 down ILB or a possible bookend OLB to Woodley in a couple years. I agree, he's not a no brainer, but just a good football player.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,806 Times in 2,118 Posts

Difficult question to answer.

On one hand, the Steelers quite obviously need to upgrade their line (on both sides of the ball) and secondary.

On the other, teams like the Steelers and Giants have won championships by overcoming deficiencies through overwhelming strengths.

Drafting Hightower won't solve the D/OL and DB problem, but an effective pass rush/quick run stopping D might be able to mask said shortcomings enough for a strong campaign.

That hypothetical aside, the Steelers absolutely need to draft D/OL and DB in the draft. Masking problems only goes so far for so long.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

The only problem with the secondary is depth, and that's not something you really are too concerned about on the first two days of the draft. Unless a high value safety prospect falls to them, I don't think they should be looking secondary early.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I don't see why we would look at secondary. Taylor had a horrible game but he is a really good CB, we have two other second year guys that are supposed to be good, and we have Keenan Lewis who played well last year. At safety we are set, I dont see Clark or Polamalu leaving to soon. I agree that we have over came horrible offensive cordinating and a poor to mediocre offensive line by an overwhelming defense and a great QB. I think that's something we need to get away from though, there's no reason that with a new OC and great drafting that we can't be solid on every level. A good NT or ILB and a starting quality guard along with a good backup or two on the O line in the 6th/7th round's. We get that in the draft and logical offensive playcalling we will be great. I know those are big "if's" and that's if Wallace stays, but it's definitely possible with our team and FO.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

only person from alabama i want is Kirkpatrick ... if he's still available at 24 i would be jumping up a down ... other then that i would pass on hightower ...
cbrunn is online now   Reply With Quote