Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts
Default Greg Cosell Mock draft

Greg Cosell is the producer of NFL films and Producer of the NFL match up show with merrill and jaws. Needless to say, he watches alot of coaching tape and game film.

heres his interesting mock based on what he would do based on film study (not what he thinks teams will do).

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/c...ks-mock-draft/

Here it is Ė my first mock draft. A moment I will savor forever. Hereís how I am doing it: I will choose players based on my film study and my sense of team needs. I have no idea what different teams draft boards look like, nor will I try to speculate what a team might be thinking. The main objective of my mock is to further discuss the top players by putting them in a draft format. One other caveat: I am disregarding documented off-field problems, character issues, anything that is not a function of on-field play. I understand that teams significantly factor that into the equation, but I am solely basing my player evaluations on whatís on the tape. Thatís what I do. I watch tape.

Drum roll please . . . . .

teaser- he would take RGIII w/ 1st pick.

24. Pittsburgh: The Steelers select one of my favorite players to watch on tape, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler. Guard is clearly a position of need for Pittsburgh. Iím sure many will disagree, but I believe Zeitler is a better athlete than DeCastro. He has quick and active feet that allowed him to be very effective in the zone run game. He squared up well as a puller in the power run game, showing strength on contact. Zeitler was not as purely physical and nasty as DeCastro, but I saw a more athletic and complete OG.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,474 Posts
Default Re: Greg Cosell Mock draft

Funny, I saw Cosells draft yesterday. I have heard that some think Zeitler is the best run blocking OG in the draft. I personally think he is a bit of a liability as a pass protector....I dont mean bad, but not great pass blocker.

I would not mind Zeitler at all, I just think he will need some more work in pass protection at the next level.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791

Zietler is a need over value pick. Do we need a guard? Yep, yep and yep. Should we take a guy rated in the 30's at 24? Much tougher question.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac151rum View Post
Zietler is a need over value pick. Do we need a guard? Yep, yep and yep. Should we take a guy rated in the 30's at 24? Much tougher question.
So who has him rated in the 30's?? Walter Football? Pro football focus?? Are they the last word in the NFL draft?

If the Steelers have decided that he is the best player on the board at #24, I would not be surprised if they draft him. Some scouts were saying he is the best run blocker in the draft. Cosell says he is a better blocker than DeCastro, yet some here want us to trade up for DeCastro.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
tony hipchest
Supporter

on the flipside today, i heard one unamed current coach (i think it was an o-line coach) doesnt think any of the linemen in this years draft deserve more than a 3rd round grade.

like some qb's he must feel need is dictating where some of these players are grading out.

faneca is arguably a HOF guard. ive heard that decastro isnt the next coming of faneca, yet hes likely to be drafted higher than he was.

interesting to say the least. many t hought pouncey was taken to high for a center, but if we get a 10 year starter that is pro bowl calibur, i guess he serves his purpose w/o the headaches the likes of santonio or a revis bring.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
So who has him rated in the 30's?? Walter Football? Pro football focus?? Are they the last word in the NFL draft?

If the Steelers have decided that he is the best player on the board at #24, I would not be surprised if they draft him. Some scouts were saying he is the best run blocker in the draft. Cosell says he is a better blocker than DeCastro, yet some here want us to trade up for DeCastro.
Walter- 43
SI- 37
Draftek- 45
Matt Miller- 43
CBS- 37
Juicedsports- 39
Realsports- only ranked 32. Not there.
Mockingthe draft- 56
15 different mock drafts from NFL.com- Cosell- 24. 1 other person at 30. 13 other people- not in first round of draft.

Theres a few. Don't just find the one or two that support your opinion, and say that all the rest are wrong. You'll end up believing that George Bush blew up the World Trade Centers.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Walter- 43
SI- 37
Draftek- 45
Matt Miller- 43
CBS- 37
Juicedsports- 39
Realsports- only ranked 32. Not there.
Mockingthe draft- 56
15 different mock drafts from NFL.com- Cosell- 24. 1 other person at 30. 13 other people- not in first round of draft.

Theres a few. Don't just find the one or two that support your opinion, and say that all the rest are wrong. You'll end up believing that George Bush blew up the World Trade Centers.
So those are all Mock drafts that get their info from where exactly?? Honestly Don Banks at SI should let somebody else do his mocks.

I am saying that I will not be surprised if Zeitler is picked in the 1st round. Lots of team scouts (not mock draftniks) have apparently said they think he has 1st round talent.

Staying on the offensive line, why has Kevin Zeitler moved up boards and why is he getting first round consideration by a number of teams? According to several sources many feel Zeitler is as NFL ready as any guard in the draft and could break into a starting line-up early in his rookie career. He does not possess the upside of the other guards graded immediately above or below him, yet has little in the way of downside.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

My basic feeling is that if the Steelers feel that Zietler is their man, I'm fine with that. I just think that they should trade back to take him. He won't be going anywhere picks 25 to 30, where we could pick up another 3rd rounder to help.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

hell, i could pretty much do the research and come up with a mock draft that would rival what ed bouchette will come out with on thursday. he is no rick gosselin. also peter king admits he doesnt even really watch much college football. he mocks based on info learned (or cribbed) from others.

big difference from the likes of gil brandt who releases his top 100 prospects and routinely has 95+ going in the first 100 selections.

if teams view zeiter as a sure fire 10 year starter with pro bowl potential he will be drafted accordingly regardless of where the draft "gurus" have him ranked. the steelers make it a business of drafting these type of players in the first. thats how mendenhall gets drafted above the high risk/high reward types such as chris johnson. same reason they would pass on the likes of pac man jones.

all teh draftnicks had high grades on justin smith and aaron curry three years ago. if you take a look back on that draft now, 8 of the 12 first picks are pretty much busts. ziggy hood will be entering his first season as a starter and should be ready to prove himself as a worthy starter for the rest of a long career. peria jerry drafted by atlanta was ranked much higher and has done much less.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
My basic feeling is that if the Steelers feel that Zietler is their man, I'm fine with that. I just think that they should trade back to take him. He won't be going anywhere picks 25 to 30, where we could pick up another 3rd rounder to help.
we very well could do just that. if there was any year to do it, this would seem to be it. i wouldnt even be shocked if the patriots were a trading partner to move up (pretty sure it wont be baltimore).