Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,631 Posts
Default Re: what if?......

90% of Steeler fans recognize that the offensive line is the weakest unit on the team. And you want to spend a 3rd round pick on any G/OT to solve the problem?

Also, Jason Worilds was a defensive end in college that is learning the OLB position and you suggest drafting an OLB #1 and moving Worilds inside?? A college DE is now going to play ILB with absolutely no experience???

what if...............we forget this thread ever happened?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,822 Times in 4,477 Posts

there is no worilds talk or rumor circulating around town. i heard this on sirius radio yesterday and am hearing it here now.

this all comes from steelersdepot, pulling a wild hair out of his ass, suggesting it could happen, and writing a blog article about it.

now people are in a frenzy speculating about it. (pat kirwan and tim ryan didnt write it off completely when a caller asked if it was possible).

just like nick perry. i didnt see a single person mocking him to the steelers until i read steelersdepot mock this morning.

now i see people who were so high on hightower, scrapping the idea and penciling in perry.

dave is a damn good blogger who is an excellent source of research and information.

but ultimately he is just speculating just like us all (he's been high on fleener for weeks and finally came to his senses).
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989

i agree the OL is the worst area but that doesnt justify reaching to fix it. and morever they WONT reach to fix it.

theyve put a recent #1 and #2 pick in two consecutive drafts into that area. its likely that the best ones will all be gone when we pick in the 1st (reiff, decastro, martin, glenn) and 2nd (zeitler, osemele, silatolu, allen) so who would that leave us with?

also not just any OL pick in the 3rd rd. A guy like schwartz, mccants, bergstrom is a steal in that portion of the draft.

moving worilds is just me spitballing some ideas but dont forget that farrior and timmons were both originally OLB's who got moved inside.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin7558 View Post
also not just any OL pick in the 3rd rd. A guy like schwartz, mccants, bergstrom is a steal in that portion of the draft.

moving worilds is just me spitballing some ideas but dont forget that farrior and timmons were both originally OLB's who got moved inside.
First of all, I dont consider McCants or Bergstrom a steal in the 3rd. Bergstrom is a OT that is going to have to play OG in the NFL, just like Duval Love of Arkansas last year. Thing is, I think Duval Love is a better player and he cant crack the starting line at Minnesota. McCants will be there in the 5th.

Both Timmons and Farrior were WILL LB's in 4-3 schemes at Florida St and Virginia respectively, so they were LB's that moved in the 3-4. Worilds was a DE at Va Tech.......much bigger learning curve.

I appreciate the spitballing, but its kind of a real stretch. Its almost like me implying that Heath Miller is going to hit the creatine, bulk up and play LT because he is such a great blocker.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
devin7558
Bench Warmer

well they def didnt reach to fix it...at least i got that right! haha.
decastro solves so many problems
Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Also, Jason Worilds was a defensive end in college that is learning the OLB position and you suggest drafting an OLB #1 and moving Worilds inside?? A college DE is now going to play ILB with absolutely no experience???
cough...timmons...cough ....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #17
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,803 Posts

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #18
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
First of all, I dont consider McCants or Bergstrom a steal in the 3rd. Bergstrom is a OT that is going to have to play OG in the NFL, just like Duval Love of Arkansas last year. Thing is, I think Duval Love is a better player and he cant crack the starting line at Minnesota. McCants will be there in the 5th.

Both Timmons and Farrior were WILL LB's in 4-3 schemes at Florida St and Virginia respectively, so they were LB's that moved in the 3-4. Worilds was a DE at Va Tech.......much bigger learning curve.

I appreciate the spitballing, but its kind of a real stretch. Its almost like me implying that Heath Miller is going to hit the creatine, bulk up and play LT because he is such a great blocker.
I've heard he was worked out as an ILB last year but the coaching staff agreed he had more promise as an OLB but wouldn't dismiss him from lining up in the middle one day. Pretty typical our coaching staff to be dismissive
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
devin7558
Bench Warmer

farrior was an OLB for the jets before we got him. he was a bust as an OLB and his move inside made him an all pro. all i meant to propose is some players respond very well to big changes. its a fresh start.

I think Worilds pass rush ability was significantly overrated from day 1 and his move from college DE to a zone blitz OLB was to much for him. but he has the size, physicality and speed to be a nasty interior backer if they ever want to look that way.

i doubt they will. but more than anything i hope something clicks this season and he shows more promise off the edge in camp/preseason.