Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #31
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Steelers might turn corner with younger secondary

I think these three have truckloads of potential. Ike should give us at least another couple years to develop them into starters, so let's see.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
ANDYMISIU
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13987

I wouldn't mind some veteran help at CB. I'm not saying he has to start and I'm not saying he has to be high priced, I would just like to see an experienced CB compete with our younger guys. The reason being that if our guys don't mature as hoped... secondary could easily become an issue. I wouldn't be so sold on the "we're ok" statement just yet.
ANDYMISIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #33
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,646 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

On the spot: Steelers CB Keenan Lewis

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
April 24, 2012

We're continuing our series in which we feature one player from each AFC North team who is "On the spot" leading up to the NFL draft. That's a player who is holding a starting job now, but could lose it depending on how his team drafts.

Who he's replacing: William Gay, an unrestricted free agent who signed with the Arizona Cardinals. Last season, Gay started 15 games for the Steelers and finished the regular season with 56 tackles -- 45 solo -- with two interceptions.

NFL résumé: Lewis was a 2009 third-round pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers out of Oregon State, and has made only one career NFL start. Last year, he showed that he can be a playmaker, sealing a 13-9 victory at Kansas City with a leaping interception with 28 seconds remaining. But he has also been undisciplined, getting benched by coach Mike Tomlin in the 2010 preseason after he gave up an eight-yard catch to Brandon Lloyd and then proceeded to knee him.

Analysis from Matt Williamson, of Scouts Inc.: The Steelers have a formula at cornerback. They draft them in the mid rounds (as they did a year ago and with Ike Taylor) and allow them to make their bones on special teams while learning the "Steeler Way." I doubt that trend changes in this draft class. Losing Gay does open up a spot for someone to step up, but that could be Lewis or one of the mid-round picks from a year ago. I am betting that Pittsburgh uses yet another third or fourth round pick on the position with the exact same strategy in mind.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...b-keenan-lewis
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #34
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I don't think our secondary is as good as some of you are making it out to be.

The numbers were skewed, because teams had success running the ball against us this last year, and the number of passing attempts dropped drastically as a result. Teams saw the way Ray Rice and Arian Foster dropped over a hundred yards on us and called plays accordingly.

We got burned 3 times on the EXACT SAME PLAY by one of the worst QBs to ever suit up for a game, sending us home early.

Unless you guys saw something that I did not from watching Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, and Brown playing the nickel and dime against #4 WRs, I think our secondary is ONCE AGAIN going to be one of this team's weaknesses.

Want to hang your hat on our #1 ranking against the pass? The Chargers were #1 in overall defense, against the run, and against the pass in 2010, and they finished 8-8.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #35
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

The secondary wasn't just tops in yards allowed, they also gave up the fewest yards per play (which they have done in 4 of the past 5 years). No matter how bad the run defense was (and they were 8th best in the league; comparing them to the historically great run defense from 2010 would be absurd), giving up the fewest yards per play completely discounts how many actual passing plays they faced. They also had the lowest QBR against, also irrelevant to the number of plays. They also did this with a below average year from their front seven.

Also, when Keenan Lewis entered the game, he did not play the nickel position.

The Steelers faced 593 passes in 2010, 530 in 2011, or just under 4 fewer per game.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #36
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post

The numbers were skewed, because teams had success running the ball against us this last year, and the number of passing attempts dropped drastically as a result. Teams saw the way Ray Rice and Arian Foster dropped over a hundred yards on us and called plays accordingly.

We got burned 3 times on the EXACT SAME PLAY by one of the worst QBs to ever suit up for a game, sending us home early.

Unless you guys saw something that I did not from watching Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, and Brown playing the nickel and dime against #4 WRs, I think our secondary is ONCE AGAIN going to be one of this team's weaknesses.

Want to hang your hat on our #1 ranking against the pass? The Chargers were #1 in overall defense, against the run, and against the pass in 2010, and they finished 8-8.
that denver game was mostly on lebeau. he failed to change the defense after ike taylor kept getting burned

shitty outcome but the game plan was to stack the box and make tebow beat us. who would have thought he would have?

tbh though, after ike got burned the 2nd time we should have adjusted the defense, but didn't. taylor is a good corner but he's not a shutdown corner.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #37
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post

The Chargers have Norv Turner as head coach, and if anyone can pull defeat from the jaws of victory, it's him. As far as teams having success running the ball against us... not so much. We were 8th against the run, in a field where only San Fran stuck out as excellent. Functionally we were tied for 2nd or 3rd.

Gay stepped up, and the coaches used him well. There's no need to discuss that issue any further. As far as this year, most CBs really start to get it in their 2nd and 3rd years, which bodes well for our crew. We'll see.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the thing that really impressed me with cortez allen is this year the rookies didn't even have a full training camp, but he still came in and produced.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote