Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,529 Times in 3,968 Posts
Default Re: tony hipchest lame mock draft.

great article by jim wexell that includes his 7 round steelers mock and explains why he didnt take the likes of poe, hightower, etc. interesting point about colbert and the "sure fire" guys. last year he said there were about 20 in the 1st round. if the steelers do trade it will be down, not up in the 1st.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1180912.html

I did my due diligence last week when Pro Football Weekly asked if I could pick for the Steelers in their mock draft.
Having little confidence in any particular player – except a supposed second-round right guard who doesn’t have much, if any, position flexibility – I was staring at pick 24 with a choice between two players who seemed to be Steelers prototypes:

Dont’a Hightower and Cordy Glenn.

Even as a pretend GM, I refuse to use a first-round pick on a slow-talking, overweight waistbender, so I chose Hightower.

And then Kevin Colbert spoke a couple of days later and sounded as confused as I had been.

“There are just not that many sure-fire guys. It’s just an unusual year,” said the general manager who almost never says there are fewer “sure-fire guys” than the number at which he’s drafting.

“Once you get beyond the first seven to 10 guys,” Colbert said, “everybody is going to be picking and hoping.”

Everybody? It’s not just me?

The beauty of Colbert’s honesty, his truth, is that it set me free. I no longer feel obligated to look for the prototype, because, well, maybe there isn’t one this year.

So I’m going with Kevin Zeitler, the right guard from Wisconsin.

Colbert did say his team has no needs, and he’s telling the truth from the perspective of returning starters. But the Steelers do have one glaring need as I see it: Without Chris Kemoeatu, they lack anything close to resembling a pulling guard.

That’s all Kemoeatu did well. He was the offense’s rolling badass, and they used one play, that counter power play, and variations off of it, repeatedly.

Doug Legursky pulled a few times out of duty. So did Trai Essex. Neither of them conjured up visions of Bruce Van Dyke leading Franco.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,921 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
why would the browns swap places with minnesota to get richards when they know that the vikings ain't gonna take him ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if the browns dont, tampa bay will.

vikes have the luxory of knowing the browns and tampa bay REALLY want him and they can move down to #4 or #5 and still land kalil and an extra pick.

vikes have been shopping their pick hard. bills have even shown interest to move up and get kalil. the vikes also really need claiborne just about as bad as the #1 LT.

they could do real good for themselves settling for reiff or gilmore at #10 (or still have an outside shot at claiborne) and scoring a booty of picks.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
OK, I am going on record as saying the Steelers will pick Cordy Glenn tonight.

Mostly because I think he is a better RT than OG, but I will be proven wrong and the Steelers brought him in and Kugler believes he has enough knee bend and pad level to play inside. The wildcard is Poe, as I think they jump at him if he is still on the board.

I would want to go with Jon Martin if he is there, Donta Hightower or Zeitler if the others are gone. Any way, I think one of those 5 players should be on the board and would be a good addition to the Steelers.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

well thats about the last thing i got right.

i did nail the minnesota trade and 3 total trades (excluding the RGIII) in the top 10.

also in another thread i pretty much nailed the pats trading up for DE jones.

the one thing ive learned is that the way teams are wheeling and dealing nowadays, doing a mock draft is pretty much an excersize in futility.

it was much easier when there were maybe 1-2 per round.

now theres 10-12. getting a complete correct march madness 64 bracket is probably easier.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
tony hipchest

oh, jon martin grew up a steelerfans and spent 10 years living in pittsburgh. when asked where in the country he would prefer to play he said he didnt care but mentioned that 1st.

also kevin colbert admitted that of the 7-10 players he considered "sure fire" 1st round cant miss talents, decastro was 1 of them.

i wont call him faneca, but maybe/hopefully he is a hartings.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
oh, jon martin grew up a steelerfans and spent 10 years living in pittsburgh. when asked where in the country he would prefer to play he said he didnt care but mentioned that 1st.

also kevin colbert admitted that of the 7-10 players he considered "sure fire" 1st round cant miss talents, decastro was 1 of them.

as long as we aren't calling him essex , foster , or legursky... i'm good with that ...
just think... they may be able to run the ball on 3rd and short...WITH SUCCESS !!!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:

They also said that they were seriously considering trading up to get DeCastro, so I'm sure they were tickled pink.

I can tell that you are not completely sold on him, but he's no less a certainty as a good pick than any of our previous first rounders of recent memory. I still say the Cam Heyward pick was weird - even if he could set the world on fire, who knows when he'll get the chance? DeCastro, by contrast, should start every game of his rookie contract as long as he's even halfway competent.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
tony hipchest

au contraire...

i am totally sold on him. actually i never have him too much thought or consideration cause i thought it was a pipe dream landing him. usually when we draft in the 20's the 5-7 highest rated OLmen are already off the board.

i was a bit concerned with all the faneca and hutchinson comparrisons and that they were only because he happened to be the highest rated guard.

its kinda like every year the 1st safety to come off the board is always called the next reed or polamalu and it never turns out that way.

as for the OG position itself, i had pretty much resigned myself to thats what we needed to take regardless if hightower or poe were still there.

i figured zeiter would be the BPA for us at 24.

im sold on decastro being one of the safest players in this yoars draft and one you can put money on becoming a pro bowl calibur player.