Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791
Default Junior Seau dead of apparent suicide

Sad day.

NFL legend Junior Seau found dead at his California home
By Maggie Hendricks | Shutdown Corner – 1 hour 20 minutes ago
Email

(Getty)
Former NFL linebacker Junior Seau was found dead Wednesday morning at his Southern California home. The ex-linebacker's girlfriend found the NFL legend with a fatal shotgun wound to the chest. He was 43 years old.
The report has been confirmed by the North County Times:
Pro football great and Oceanside sports legend Junior Seau has apparently committed suicide, found by a housekeeper with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to multiple sources.
Oceanside Mayor Jim Wood said he learned of the death from police Chief Frank McCoy.
Police responded to Seau's home on The Strand on Wednesday after receiving a call about a reported suicide. The San Diego County medical examiner's office said an investigator was sent to the scene.
The San Diego Chargers issued a statement at approximately noon PT:
Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now...We ask everyone to stop what they're doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family.
If Seau committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest, it is similar to the way former Chicago Bears great Dave Duerson ended his life. Duerson shot himself in the chest on February 17 -- the method used so that his brain could be examined for symptoms of CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), a trauma-induced disease common to NFL players and others who have received repeated blows to the head.
Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowler and 6-time First-Team All-Pro, was selected fifth overall in the 1990 NFL draft after an outstanding collegiate career at USC. He played with the San Diego Chargers through the 2002 season, spent 2003-2005 with the Miami Dolphins, and then signed with the New England Patriots in time for the 2006 season. In New England's perfect regular season of 2007, he played in all 16 games and started four. Seau first retires after that season, only to come back and play in 2008 and 2009 before finally leaving the NFL for good.
"I'm going to go surf," he told Showtime upon his January, 2010 retirement announcement. Whatever happens, I can honestly say, that that probably was my last game."
Seau is the eighth member of the Chargers 1994 Super Bowl team to pass. We will keep you updated on this story as more news is confirmed.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,560 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Junior Seau dead?

Twitter posts questioning Junior's concussion history. I don't remember him as someone out for a concussion ever. Does anyone else?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: Junior Seau dead of apparent suicide

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...70#post1009870

Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,209 Times in 3,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Twitter posts questioning Junior's concussion history. I don't remember him as someone out for a concussion ever. Does anyone else?
That possibility appears to be based at this point on some folks not letting the absence of facts get in the way of using a tragedy to push an agenda

But I think we have to add him to the list of those that we worry about who could have effects of chronic, repetitive brain trauma," said Bailes, chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at the NorthShore University HealthSystem in Chicago.

"We don't have any strong evidence (yet about Seau), and we know that people commit suicide for other reasons. … But to me it's also concerning due to the fact that he had such a long playing history," said Bailes.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ion-concerns/1

Because it is always a good medical practice to make a dfiagnosis without examining the patient

RIP Mr. Seau - a sad story
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
That possibility appears to be based at this point on some folks not letting the absence of facts get in the way of using a tragedy to push an agenda

But I think we have to add him to the list of those that we worry about who could have effects of chronic, repetitive brain trauma," said Bailes, chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at the NorthShore University HealthSystem in Chicago.

"We don't have any strong evidence (yet about Seau), and we know that people commit suicide for other reasons. But to me it's also concerning due to the fact that he had such a long playing history," said Bailes.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ion-concerns/1

Because it is always a good medical practice to make a dfiagnosis without examining the patient

RIP Mr. Seau - a sad story
Suicide means autopsy. We will see. I handle a lot of TBI cases. Frontal lobe injuries do change a person.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

RIP JS
Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
JPPT1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5361
My Mood: Brooding

Thoughts and prayers are with his family. So sad to hear that!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

People are starting to abuse the "concussion theories" and blame that for everything now. Unreal.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #19
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Seau was known for being an asshole in San Diego. I'm not trying to spit on the guy's grave but, I doubt this had much to do with concussion and more to do with not being the big man on campus syndrome any longer. He tried broadcasting, reality TV, anything to stay in the lime light and relevant.

Sad for his family.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #20
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/sp...rson.html?_r=1

If you're going to be dismissive about the problem, make some effort to educate yourself first.

http://www.bu.edu/cste/