Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #81
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648
Default Re: Ben: New Playbook is a "Rosetta Stone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I liked the Luck article, great he can call off a thirty word play, I just wonder how they can beat the play clock when he has to check off at the line with another thirty word call.
Especially with everything moving at game speed, which is a hell of a far cry from minicamp practice speed. Ben's also a proven commodity. Luck ain't.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #82
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I would rather have a QB who at least has a say so in what the offense runs than a big eyed rookie who is trying to "fit" in. Ben has been there and done that, I am sorry I dont want my veteran QB to be a yes man, esp since he has done well in the past.

An off hand remark does not mean he is bellyaching. The media did not get a full blown drama between Ben and Haley this off season and they will try to blow up any remark, (so will our forum members too it seems). I hope the new system works to this teams strength and right now Ben is one of its key components. With new blood coming in on a less than stellar line hopefully we can be more effective in rushing the ball.

I just want to be on record that as bad as Arians was as a OC this team led the league in TOP, now if we score more and do not lose TOP by a huge difference we will be better, but if we score the same and suffer from some quick strikes and many three and outs I believe our defense which is older in key positions will suffer.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #83
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,998 Times in 3,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Especially with everything moving at game speed, which is a hell of a far cry from minicamp practice speed. Ben's also a proven commodity. Luck ain't.
no doubt!

if i was gonna pick one of the 2 to lead my favorite team to the superbowl next season, i would 100% select ben.

just like if i was gonna pick someone to win a teat suckling contest, i would also pick ben.

now if i were gonna pick a qb to learn a new playbook and be the most receptive to working with a new boss, ben would be pretty far down on the list.

i'm pretty sure i would chose luck over him in those regards (and luck better get used to it, because he will have a new coaching staff to get used to after 3 seasons.)

Quote:
I just want to be on record that as bad as Arians was as a OC this team led the league in TOP, now if we score more and do not lose TOP by a huge difference we will be better, but if we score the same and suffer from some quick strikes and many three and outs I believe our defense which is older in key positions will suffer.
while i agree on paper, we tried to have a quick strike/big play offense under arians. i would much rather be top 5 in scoring and 21st in TOP.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #84
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

it seems as simple as Ben looking forward to the "new" offense, while taking opportunities as they come to give feedback and/or recommendations. I don't think anyone should read anything into it beyond that.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #85
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,328 Times in 4,411 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

congratulations go out to Ben, maybe he'll be smarter now that he has his BS degree...

Peter King@SI_PeterKing via twitter:

Congrats to Ben Roethlisberger for getting his Bachelor's of Science degree in Education from Miami (Ohio) Sunday. He'll walk with grads.

https://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing/...84335800160256
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #86
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,998 Times in 3,032 Posts

a scholar AND a genttleman.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #87
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

In fairness to Ben, he hasn't been required to know a professional NFL playbook since 2006. That's not his fault.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #88
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
However, Rosetta Stone is the world's easiest way to learn a language, guaranteed.
You beat me to it! A funny, but excellent point.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #89
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

I'm a Ben fan but I can't help but notice some posters who trash other offensive players playing in the same system as he does. Mainly Wallace and Mendenhall's critics. C'mon folks, can't have it both ways.

As Tony stated, Ben has had some bonehead moments when a mike is stuck in his face. And a few other embarassing run ins with the law, but he's our bonehead. Just callin a spade a spade.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #90
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
I'm a Ben fan but I can't help but notice some posters who trash other offensive players playing in the same system as he does. Mainly Wallace and Mendenhall's critics. C'mon folks, can't have it both ways.

As Tony stated, Ben has had some bonehead moments when a mike is stuck in his face. And a few other embarassing run ins with the law, but he's our bonehead. Just callin a spade a spade.

I don't see it as "the system" they're trashing.........just many like Ben but find Wallace and Mendenhall more pompous and unlikeable. I don't have a problem with others calling out certain other players if they don't like them. It seems as if there has been an atmosphere created where its ok to bash Ben....but not ok to bash others if you see fit.
Of course, it can go both ways....all fans are different.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote