Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: The Mendenhall bin Laden tweets - a year later

I'm not gonna get into the actual 9/11 conversation, but as far as Mendy's tweets go, the whole thing was SEVERLEY overblown. I'm not saying I agree with what he said, but he asked a a rhetorical question about what our society values and takes as truth and people suddenly acted like he literally typed out "PRAISE ALLAH. DEATH TO AMERICA" To be honest I'm "disgusted" with the people who say they are "disgusted" with him over this.

He didn't say Bin Laden was a hero or be worshiped or anything outrageous. All he said was that it's wrong to celebrate his death, and that we hadn't heard the whole story, which is true. No-one's death should be "celebrated." And we still know very little about the events of his death and his involvement in the terrorist attacks to this day, hence the conspiracy theories and constant arguments.

Now, could he have exercised better judgement as a celebrity/football player/role model and not posted the tweets? Of course. In hindsight he was stupid to say what he did. But, if anything, he should be criticized for that "role model" aspect of the tweets, and not for the content of the tweets themselves.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Everyone knows we brought the towers down to have an excuse to go to war with Iraq and stock up on oil

Am I going to have to move this to a political discussion forum
You crazy man.

Prolly gonna have to move it, but it is entertaining though.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #33
AgentGold007
Banned

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Wow, I went to a political forum and a Steelers conversation broke out.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #34
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,018 Times in 4,670 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post

Prolly gonna have to move it, but it is entertaining though.

please don't move it, I love reading everyone's opinions on this subject and it is Steelers related because of Mendy's tweets.

I haven't participated in this thread because I wisely learned a long time ago to stay out of political and religious discussions but it is definitely very entertaining!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #35
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,789 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Well, you see, this thread is related to the Steelers, as Mendenhall is an employee of the organization. The OP asked users if they felt they way he did about the comments, and a discussion over the events of 9/11 broke out.

As a moderator, all I can ask is that the discussion is limited to what the original poster asked. That's all I can really do

EDIT:

Their is an off-topic forum within this board. If you'd like to discuss the events of 9/11, you could always make it's own thread. Just my two cents.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #36
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

It's been an interesting thread, but I honestly didn't expect that it would veer off into political discussions and conspiracy theories. In retrospect, that sounds kind of naive.

I am curious whether anyone shares my feelings about Mendenhall. There have been a lot of moronic things that athletes have done over the years, but at least for me, this one is different. It's simply too offensive when you consider the many innocent people who lost their lives. I've tried to look past this, but I can't - and it's been a full year. For me, his continued presence on the team is an ongoing irritant. I really expected the Rooneys to draw the line on this one.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #37
Sean95m
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18937

The guy made a tweet about how he felt about a certain situation and ESPN as always blew it up in major porportions. Also a thing called freedom of speech does exist. Remember Ray Lewis was charegd with murder at one point in his career yet is the poster child/darling of that great sports channel. All I am saying funny how OP brings this up when a guy is injured. If he had been all pro this wouldn't have been brought up. Too many morons on this board, just sayin......
Sean95m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #38
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Obviously you have somewhat of a different perspective than me as (I assume by your name) you served in the armed forces, but I don't see anything, from what I can recall anyway, that I would consider offensive. I don't think that his comments in any way diminished the value of the lives lost on 9/11; I think it's safe to assume that 9/11 conspiracy theorists equally mourn the loss of innocent lives, whether it's at the hands of religious extremists or a corrupt government. I do absolutely, 100%, fully agree with what he said about people celebrating the death of Osama, however; perhaps that is where we differ? I consider the death of any creature lamentable, especially if it could be avoided.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #39
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Dodens -

Thanks for your questions regarding what I found to be offensive. This were his tweets:

- "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side ... "
- "I'm not convinced he was even behind the attacks we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us"
- "We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style."
- "I believe in God. I believe we're ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge."
- "For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn in hell ... I ask how would God feel about your heart?"

I've got no problem with much of it - leaving judgement to God, decrying the hatred, etc. That's all fine, although perhaps ill-timed, and susceptible to being misunderstood. The bothersome parts (bolded) are where he questions whether bin Laden was responsible (bin Laden has claimed responsibility multiple times in different venues, and there's even a pre-attack video showing foreknowledge of the plot), and also the doubts about whether "a plane could take down a building demolition style." That's just plain ignorance.

Of course he has freedom of speech, but this was an incredibly painful experience for our country. The topic is too serious for an entertainer or athlete to casually display his ignorance so publicly. It's too hurtful to so many.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #40
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Are you offended by all of the 9/11 Truthers then? I don't mean to suggest that you not take offense, but given their popularity, it might be more efficient to smile and nod like you do at a child's explanation of where babies come from. I was not offended by Mendenhall's comments that you bolded; I was more bemused at his ignorance. But, in fairness, I'm not one to be easily offended. And I try not to judge people too harshly based on one or two positions.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote