Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Commentary: When will deaths of NFL players stop?

Commentary: When will deaths of NFL players stop?
May 6, 2012 12:32 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...s-stop-634553/
By Sam Mellinger / Kansas City Star

A gray-haired woman in a green floral dress is screaming the worst moment of her life in front of the entire world. Luisa Seau stands in front of microphones and cameras, on televisions across the country wailing the sometimes incoherent words of every mother's worst nightmare.

"I pray to God," she screams, "please take me, take me and leave my son, but it's too late. Too late."

You might have seen the heartbreaking video already. If you watched television at all Wednesday, or opened up a web browser, it was hard to miss and harder to stomach that Junior Seau, 43 years old, apparently killed himself with a gunshot to the chest.

This is a former NFL Man of the Year not even retired long enough to be inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame but leaving behind three children and a line of crying teammates.

Police believe his death was a suicide. If so, Seau is the third former football player to shoot himself to death in the past 15 months, and what might be the most serious issue in sports has a new face that a new generation of fans can remember and some painful questions must now be asked.

How much longer can this go? What's your tolerance for this? How much stamina do you have for the men you cheer today dying tragic and premature deaths in the coming years? How much longer can you be a fan of a sport that appears to be killing its athletes?

Sports are supposed to be an escape from real life. That's part of what makes us love them so much, part of what makes football one of America's most popular forms of entertainment. For three hours every Saturday or Sunday, there is no mortgage payment, no deadline at work, no medical bills.

Only now, those games are themselves a proven source of life's biggest problems and eventually that has to matter longer than it takes to hold a moment of silence and plan a funeral.

If Seau did kill himself, we don't know why, of course. An investigation might help, or it might leave the same haunting questions from the day two years ago he drove his Escalade off a cliff.

Seau told police he fell asleep at the wheel that day and promised his best friends the same. But people who knew him suspected an attempted suicide even back then. Seau had a divorce and failed businesses and the same demons that chase a lot of people -- athletes and otherwise.

So, no. We don't know the most critical answers around a tragic death. We don't know if he had a brain injury, or whether there's a connection between this tragic end and a legendary 20-year pro football career.

But we do know that football leads to concussions, and concussions can lead to depression, and depression can lead to suicide. The pattern is undeniable. We also know this chilling next paragraph to be true:

There is not only precedent for ex-football players killing themselves, but precedent for them doing it with a gunshot to the chest so their brains can be examined for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a form of brain damage that is related to blows to the head.

Think about that. It's almost as though these former NFL players are teaching each other how to kill themselves without stunting the progress of science to hopefully learn more about an awful trend in which we are all conspirators.

If those last four words make you uncomfortable, well, good. They should. Makes me uncomfortable to write them, but it's the truth. The brutal truth.

Our collective passion for football drives these men to do dangerous things. The money generated by our obsession with football means a lot of powerful people are motivated to keep their sport's life-threatening side effects minimized as long as they can.

Hockey has had some similar problems, you probably know. But that sport's issues with brain injury are rarer than football's and ostensibly easier to fix. Stop in-game fighting and you have a chance at reducing the most serious long-term consequences.

Violence is part of football's DNA, as intricate a part of the sport as the Hail Mary or sweep left. Football leads American sports in killing its own athletes and in a better world it would be past time we accept this as an unfortunate consequence of our entertainment.

No amount of penalties from the Saints' bounty scandal can cover for the fact that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been shamefully and irresponsibly late in recognizing and addressing his sport's dangers.

His recent pushes for an 18-game schedule make him a hypocrite on this, and if he ever mentions it again, he'll lose much of his remaining credibility.

The same moments we cheer so loudly today may very well be contributing to deaths tomorrow and no matter what happens from now on, Goodell's handling of this impossible issue will be a major part of how he is remembered.

One of football's greatest linebackers is dead now, and in the most direct way, he apparently did this to himself by pulling the trigger. But the difficult question the rest of us should now consider more seriously than ever before is how much of a push he got from the violence of the profession millions of us have made so lucrative.

At some point, we football fans have to decide how much we can love a sport that is apparently killing too many of its athletes and this is the part of the column where you're supposed to read some naive plea that things must change.

In a more idealistic world, maybe that would happen. But here in this world, tickets are on sale. A lot of you will be at the games. I will, too.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Commentary: When will deaths of NFL players stop?

That's why I could never pull the trigger on myself, all the problems your going through aren't even close to the hurt your about to cause for at least 2 or 3 people, maybe more.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791

I had the privelege of going to listen to a presentation by Dr. Cantu, the BU doctor who's been studying brain trauma among athletes. I walked out of there and almost pulled my kids out of football, its that scary. What was even scarier was that I looked around the auditoreum and all I saw were parents and athletes. I was the only high school football coach there.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,212 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac151rum View Post
I had the privelege of going to listen to a presentation by Dr. Cantu, the BU doctor who's been studying brain trauma among athletes. I walked out of there and almost pulled my kids out of football, its that scary. What was even scarier was that I looked around the auditoreum and all I saw were parents and athletes. I was the only high school football coach there.
It is scary. Sometimes I think the only answer is less equipment.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
What was even scarier was that I looked around the auditoreum and all I saw were parents and athletes. I was the only high school football coach there.
thats crazy. if i was principal or superintendent of a school, i would make it mandatory for all coaches (atleast for football/hockey) attend atleast one or view a videotaped seminar for awareness and safety training. maybe its soemthing that could be voted on by school boards.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791

I was able to convince the Athletic Director to invest in some baseline testing software for concussions. We're a small high school, but I think we may be the only one in the area that tests all athletes (not just football, but all athletes, male and female) before the seasons start to get a baseline to make sure that no one who suffers from a concussion comes back to early.
On a related note, we did have, about 15 years ago, a player who suffered from 2nd concussion syndrom, where he got a minor concussion one week and then the next week he suffered another one, very major. Kid was out of school for two months. Talked to him about 4 weeks afterwords on the phone and it was like talking to someone through jello. Took him 5, 10 seconds to answer yes or no questions.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,786 Times in 2,215 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

When will deaths of NFL players stop? Never. Everybody dies eventually.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
I was able to convince the Athletic Director to invest in some baseline testing software for concussions. We're a small high school, but I think we may be the only one in the area that tests all athletes (not just football, but all athletes, male and female) before the seasons start to get a baseline to make sure that no one who suffers from a concussion comes back to early..
kudos. i guess it all starts with a consciensious AD or concerned parent/coach such as yourself. like i said, maybe it takes individual school boards getting involved for all HS atheletics to be more pro active, but i wouldnt be opposed to state legislation (atleast for the public schools).

after all it is the public paying taxes for the schools, and public paying to attend the events, and in every case the publics children participating.

at bare minimum, training and awareness, such as attending the type of eye opening seminar you were able to attend should be made mandatory.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

When you can twist the rules of the universe and abolish death from inevitability.

Everyone dies eventually.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
DG94
Water Boy

Member Number: 24069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
When you can twist the rules of the universe and abolish death from inevitability.

Everyone dies eventually.
Yes, that's a fact of life. They don't shoot themselves with a shotgun though.
DG94 is offline   Reply With Quote