Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,246 Times in 2,690 Posts
Default Re: Jonathan Vilma sues Roger Goodell

i totally agree with whitlock.

Quote:
Payton, who also received a year-long suspension, can be an NFL head coach for the next 15 years. Vitt (six-game suspension) can be a high-paid assistant for the next 15 years. Loomis (four-game suspension) can hold a high-paying front-office job for the next 15 years. Goodell's peers — with the exception of Williams (suspended indefinitely) — can easily recoup their losses.
not only can payton coach for many more years to come, i bet goodell is figuring out a way to give him a cooshie job as a NFL Network analyst for the year.

as for the rest of the saints staff, it looks lick mickey loomis will be given the job to temporarily run the New Orleans Hornets (recently purchased by saints owner tom benson)-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...leans-hornets/
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,700 Posts

Peter King notes that Vilma is not exactly running away from being identified with Bountygate

I think there's one thing I don't get about Jonathan Vilma: how he has as his Twitter avatar the Sports Illustrated cover, screaming "Bounty Culture'' with Vilma front and center, very big, jumping out on the cover. If being degraded by being identified with the bounty story is a sue-able offense for Vilma, and if he accuses Roger Goodell of disparaging his character to the point where it's going to be difficult for him to ever find work in or out of the NFL, why does he identify himself with something so reprehensible? How on the one hand can you want something like the SI cover representing you to the Internet world, and on the other hand you sue the man responsible for allegedly making you so infamous?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...21/mmqb/4.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

... I'm rooting for the meteor...
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,549 Times in 4,069 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Steelers’ Harrison: Goodell lawsuit ‘win-win’ for players

By Scott Brown - Tribune-Review
Published: Wednesday, May 23

It is more than four months before the start of the NFL season, but James Harrison appears to be in midseason form when it comes to tweaking his frequent foil.

The Steelers outside linebacker took a couple of subtle swipes at Roger Goodell on Wednesday, calling the defamation lawsuit that Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma brought against the NFL commissioner last week a “win-win” for the players.

“If (Vilma) loses, it shows Goodell does have too much power,” Harrison said following an offseason practice, “and if he wins, it opens up the floodgates.”

Goodell suspended Vilma for the 2012 season for the latter’s role in the New Orleans Saints’ bounty scandal. Goodell has drawn criticism, particularly from players, for not being more forthcoming about evidence he has against Vilma and others that were disciplined for their part in an illicit pay-for-play system.

“I don’t know what was said in (the Saints’) locker room,” said Steelers guard Willie Colon, who is close friends with New Orleans wide receiver Marques Colston. “To purposely go after a guy’s knee, head and leg, I think that’s uncalled for and totally disgusting. But to say guys are wrong after getting after another guy, that’s just the game of football. So I think there’s a fine line. If they crossed it in any way, then they should be handled accordingly. I know we don’t do football like that.”

Harrison, who has been at odds with Goodell since being fined $100,000 for multiple on-field infractions in 2010, said the Vilma case is another example of the commissioner having too much power.

No player has been more critical of Goodell and his crackdown on player misconduct than Harrison.

Harrison, who was suspended for a game last season for a helmet-to-helmet hit, said the players should have done more to check Goodell’s power in the Collective Bargaining Agreement they ratified last year.

The Steelers, Harrison was quick to point out, were the only team that didn’t vote in favor of the CBA. When asked if more players regret not doing the same, the five-time Pro Bowler said, “I would hope so.”

The NFL mandated at the owners meetings earlier this week that players start wearing thigh and knee pads in 2013. The league’s latest safety initiative was news to Harrison.

“I don’t know how many guys end their career on a thigh or a knee bruise,” Harrison said. “If they really want to do something, they should get rid of the high-low block. I thought that was illegal, but it isn’t (on running plays).

“If you ask me I think it’s more dangerous in the run game. When it comes down to it, the (NFL) competition committee doesn’t feel that way. Of course, a few of those guys that are on that (committee) their teams practice doing that so they wouldn’t feel that way.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ers+Stories%29
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I don't care for Vilma or the Saints, especially since they are/were obviously dirty but I will root for anybody vs Goodell, EVEN IF THEY ARE WRONG. I know that sounds extreme, but Goodell has hurt the game to a poimt where it will never return to what it should be and he needs to be put in his place. This idiot does whatever he wants and then "reviews" his own decisions when players appeal the BS, the phrase "the wolf guarding the henhouse" was made for that exact situation.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

James Harrison is tired of Goodell, glad Vilma is suing him

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 24, 2012

It should come as no surprise that Steelers linebacker James Harrison is pleased that Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma is suing NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Harrison, who trashed Goodell in an interview last year only to apologize and say his comments were way out of line, seems to agree with Vilma’s contention that Goodell was way out of line in his public comments about the Saints’ bounty scandal. And Harrison thinks Vilma’s attempt to sue Goodell for defamation is a “win-win,” even if it is unsuccessful.

“If [Vilma] loses, it shows Goodell does have too much power,” Harrison told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “and if he wins, it opens up the floodgates.”

Harrison said he believes the players shouldn’t have signed off on the new Collective Bargaining Agreement last year unless the commissioner’s powers had been curtailed. When the CBA was formally approved last summer, the players in Steelers camp voted 78-6 against it, making them the only team to oppose the new CBA.

Asked if he thinks players on other teams now regret agreeing to the CBA, Harrison answered, “I would hope so.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-is-suing-him/
Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Jonathan Vilma: NFL wouldn’t give me evidence

Posted by Josh Alper on May 31, 2012

Jonathan Vilma says Roger Goodell’s refusal to show him evidence of his activities in the Saints bounty program is the reason why he didn’t speak to league’s investigators about it.

“We asked for evidence and he wouldn’t give it to us,” Vilma told Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. “How can I defend myself when I don’t know what I’m defending against? It’s just logical, things that people decided to ignore.”

Vilma’s attorney Peter Ginsberg also talked about a lack of evidence during a recent appearance on PFT Live. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has also publicly questioned the NFL’s evidence against the players suspended (Will Smith, Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove are the others) by the league.

Rapoport writes that when Vilma, who is also suing Goodell for defamation, was asked whether or not the union advised him not to cooperate with the investigation, the linebacker responded by repeating the question about defending himself. Vilma, who again said that he neither paid nor intended to pay anyone was suspended for a full year by the NFL for his role in the program, although he and the other players suspended by the league are fighting the suspension.

“He was invited to come in with his attorney to discuss the evidence prior to any decision on discipline,” said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello in response to Vilma. “He declined. He has another opportunity to do so in his appeal. The union has been shown evidence.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-me-evidence/
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Saints allegedly kept a ledger of bounty payments

Posted By Anthony Ramsey On June 1st 2012.

Can it get any worse?

In what continues to be a messy off-season for the New Orleans Saints, more details are leaking out regarding the bounty system that cost the franchise huge fines and key suspensions for the 2012 season.

According to Pro Football Talk via Y! Sports, the Saints kept a ledger documenting payments to players who successfully met bounty goals. Here are details:

In the ledger, payments of $1,000 for cart-offs (a hit that resulted in a player being helped off the field), $400 for whacks (hard hits) and $100 deductions for mental errors were kept track of for each player.

Two specific entries for the 2009 season were shown during one meeting. In a game at Buffalo on Sept. 27, 2009, there were three $1,000 awards. In a game against the New York Giants on Oct. 18, there was a $1,000 bounty awarded for one cart-off.

There was also a notation that after one game an opposing player who had been carted off was placed on injured reserve. The notation of the player on IR included an exclamation mark.

“The players knew what their actions were for,” the source said.

There have been numerous debates about the violent nature of NFL football, but regardless of your stance on the topic it becomes difficult to defend compensating players extra money for intentionally disabling an opponent.

The NFL has already done their damage to the Saints franchise for their participation in the bounty system, so all any further details will do is further tarnish the reputations on those involved. Hopefully this ends any possible “bounty era”, as it has no place in professional sports.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._head_10921952
Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Saints LB Vilma wants evidence of Bountygate as reports of bounty ledger emerge

Quote:
Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma said yesterday to NFL.com that he asked commissioner Roger Goodell for evidence of his involvement in the alleged bounty program, later dubbed 'Bountygate', that had been in place in the New Orleans locker room since former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams joined the team in 2009. Williams earlier joined the St. Louis Rams as defensive coordinator under new head coach Jeff Fisher; however, he was suspended indefinitely by the league in the wake of the bounty investigations.

Vilma was also suspended for the entire duration of the 2012 NFL season by the commissioner for his alleged involvement in the Bountygate scandal. Vilma claimed that the commissioner would not share evidence with him, to which he responded, “how can I defend myself if I don’t know what I’m defending against?”

Meanwhile, reports are surfacing of hardcopy documentation of the implementation of the bounties today. Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, in an exclusive story, writes that the NFL “has a copy of a ‘ledger’ that was kept detailing weekly earnings for players in the New Orleans Saints bounty system”. He also notes that ledger “points to the fact that players were told on a week-by-week basis of their performance” while noting that it kept track of money earned for “whacks and “cart-offs” in addition to money lost for “mental errors”.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,246 Times in 2,690 Posts

the nfl just sank his battleship.

while that doesnt directly implicate him, they can release more evidence if they want to.

they most certainly will if they HAVE to.