Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #61
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,883 Times in 6,113 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Sucks for Suggs

Courtney Upshaw: You can’t replace Terrell Suggs

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 13, 2012

When the Ravens lost linebacker Terrell Suggs to an Achilles tendon injury, they were considering themselves lucky that they drafted Alabama linebacker Courtney Upshaw the day before Suggs got hurt.

But that doesn’t mean Upshaw sees himself as Suggs’ replacement. Upshaw doesn’t think anyone can replace Suggs.

“The coaches told me to come out here this mini-camp and learn the defense, come out here and compete,” Upshaw told Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. “Honestly, speaking on Suggs, there’s only one Suggs. You can’t replace Suggs. Everybody’s got to come in as a team. The veteran leadership on this team is not going to allow slacking on my part or anybody else’s. Everybody’s gotta step up.”

Upshaw is right, of course, that no one can replace everything Suggs does in the Ravens’ defense. Suggs wasn’t named Defensive Player of the Year last season because he’s expendable.

But the Ravens, who are optimistic that Suggs will play at some point during the 2012 season, got a rookie who has many of the same skills that Suggs brings to the table when they drafted Upshaw.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...terrell-suggs/
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #62
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Terrell Suggs, Peters to lose pay?

Updated: May 16, 2012
By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

Philadelphia Eagles tackle Jason Peters and Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, two All-Pro players who have suffered offseason Achilles injuries that have put part or all of their 2012 seasons in jeopardy, may lose millions of dollars in salary because both fall under the nonfootball-injury provision of the collective bargaining agreement.

The applicable wording in the CBA, Article 20, Section 3 provision states: "A player who is placed on a Nonfootball injury or Illness list ("N-F/I") is not entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list ..."

Both players have claimed they were injured during off-site training sessions, but league and union sources agree that any injury sustained that does not occur at the team's facility or under its direction is considered a "Nonfootball injury."

The Eagles and Ravens may act in accordance with their own wishes and pay the players all or a portion of their salaries. League sources say both Peters and Suggs are facing a financial reduction in 2012.

Suggs underwent surgery May 7 to repair a partially torn Achilles, which he claimed he suffered while training in Arizona. Suggs said he expects to return sometime during the coming season.

Suggs' case appears slightly more complicated because he has a partially torn Achilles and has said he believes he will return by October or shortly thereafter. If he were placed on the PUP list when the season begins, he would be required to miss at least the first six games. It is conceivable the Ravens could not pay him those six game checks from his $4.9 million base salary.

Technically, as the CBA states, the teams are not obligated to pay any salary due Peters and Suggs, but sources say both are such vital players and in otherwise good standing with their respective organizations that it appears unlikely the teams would take such drastic action. The Eagles and Ravens also want Peters and Suggs motivated to rehab diligently from their injuries.

Both players have significant offseason workout bonuses and escalator clauses at risk. Peters has a $100,000 workout bonus and a $250,000 roster bonus. Suggs has a $250,000 escalator clause for the 2013 season. However, league sources say Suggs is contemplating a restructuring or extension of his contract when he is healthy that would reflect his status among the league's players after he was voted The Associated Press' NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2011.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...rfeit-millions
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #63
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I know players have to have fun but to loose millions of dollars it is not worth it.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #64
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

I would highly doubt that the Ravens don't give him some sort of compensation... As fans, we may "hate" them, but they're not a shitty organization like that. He's been such an integral part of that team, I just can't see it happening.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #65
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Paul Kruger gets first crack at replacing Suggs

Posted by Evan Silva on May 24, 2012

In the Ravens’ 2011 defense, Terrell Suggs played roughly half of his snaps at outside linebacker, and the other half at defensive end. Suggs tore his Achilles’ tendon earlier this month, and the Ravens are now trying to replace those snaps.

While much of the early speculation centered on rookie linebacker Courtney Upshaw, Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times reports that former second-round pick Paul Kruger is getting the first crack at Suggs’ rush linebacker position.

“It’s early to say what will happen,” conceded Kruger, “but this is what we’re doing now. I’m told where I’m going to line up and I do it.”

Kruger recorded a career-high 5.5 sacks last season, and is more familiar with coordinator Dean Pees’ defense than Upshaw. Upshaw is practicing at strong-side linebacker — Jarret Johnson’s old position. Johnson is now a San Diego Charger.

Kruger certainly won’t lack motivation to excel in what Suggs patented as a highly productive and active position in Pees’ system. It’s the last year of Kruger’s rookie contract, and he could strike it rich on the 2013 free agent market with a breakout season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...placing-suggs/
Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #66
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

As bad as i dislike the Ratbirds I hate to see this happen to anyone. Makes it so much better when we beat them with their best players on the field.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #67
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Ruh-roh

Despite continuing to say he tore his right Achilles tendon during conditioning drills, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs injured his right lower leg playing basketball on Sunday, April 29, according to staff members who attended a three-day basketball tournament in which Suggs played that weekend.

"He got hurt Sunday prior to the (basketball tournament) championship game," said Herman (Sonny) Hoffman, the director of the Akchin Gymnasium in Maricopa, Ariz., where the tournament was held.

When told Tuesday of the comments by staff members at the basketball tournament, Suggs told ESPN through his agent, Joel Segal: "Simply not true. I hurt myself doing my conditioning test."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80...-witnesses-say

The fact that Suggs continues to maintain he was hurt in a "conditioning drill" indicates Suggs knows there could be big $$ at stake if he tore his achilles playinbg recreational hoops
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #68
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,076 Times in 2,151 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ruh-roh

Despite continuing to say he tore his right Achilles tendon during conditioning drills, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs injured his right lower leg playing basketball on Sunday, April 29, according to staff members who attended a three-day basketball tournament in which Suggs played that weekend.

"He got hurt Sunday prior to the (basketball tournament) championship game," said Herman (Sonny) Hoffman, the director of the Akchin Gymnasium in Maricopa, Ariz., where the tournament was held.

When told Tuesday of the comments by staff members at the basketball tournament, Suggs told ESPN through his agent, Joel Segal: "Simply not true. I hurt myself doing my conditioning test."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80...-witnesses-say

The fact that Suggs continues to maintain he was hurt in a "conditioning drill" indicates Suggs knows there could be big $$ at stake if he tore his achilles playinbg recreational hoops
If he hurt himself outside of organized team activities, they don't have to pay him, correct?

He's going to maintain that he hurt himself doing something related to the team so that he keeps his salary. NFL will probably investigate.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #69
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
If he hurt himself outside of organized team activities, they don't have to pay him, correct?

He's going to maintain that he hurt himself doing something related to the team so that he keeps his salary. NFL will probably investigate.
Even if he was hurt working out away from the facilities it would not be an OTA - but it is one thing to blow out your achilles while working on conditioning and another while in a recreational activity - teams are less forgiving about the latter
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #70
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

he's likely lying about the incident. Could be a lot of dollars affected. But how does the team prove otherwise?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote