Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Ziggy Hood drastically improves explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
The Steelers cut long time veteran Aaron Smith, who had played 13 years with the team, this offseason, opening up a starting job on the defensive line. The Steelers were prepared for this day as they spent 2 first round picks on defensive linemen, Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward, in the 2009 and 2011 NFL Draft respectively, with Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel getting up there in age.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Hood has the inside track on the starting job. Hood has seen a good amount of the field over the past 2 seasons with Smith hurt, but graded out as the leagues worst 3-4 defensive end last year according to ProFootballFocus. The Steelers seem to be banking on Hood, who is still young, bouncing back in 2012 in what would be his first full season as a starter. Heyward is still in the competition and would step in if Hood continues to struggle, but the Steelers obviously hope Hood can pan out and Heyward can be the starter opposite him in 2013, when Keisel, 34 in September will probably be gone
Well that's not good... lol He is still young and has a strong work ethic, so maybe he can still become the player the FO saw on draft day.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,629 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Well that's not good... lol He is still young and has a strong work ethic, so maybe he can still become the player the FO saw on draft day.
those stats are bs and only based on how many snaps he was in, and how many tackles / assists he had. it didn't factor into how the run defense improved, or how the stats for the linebackers playing behind him changed. 3-4 DE isn't designed to make stops, it's to allow the linebackers to make stops. whoever wrote that report was an idiot.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

PFF also claims that Hood doesn't command double teams nearly as often as he needs to. And they pay attention a lot more than lay fans that don't watch games over and over again, so I'm inclined to believe that their opinion on Hood is at least partially with merit. But regardless, this is the first year that he's really training as a starter, so this in my opinion is the first year where he can be really evaluated.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,401 Times in 4,444 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

by Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
June 7, 2012

Defensive end Ziggy Hood prides himself on being the strongest player on the team, but this year he is also focusing on speed and agility, working with a personal trainer during the offseason to improve in those areas.|

I sat back and evaluated myself after the season, said Hood. I found out I play better when I feel good. When I dont feel good, I dont play as well. I went back and watched all of the tape, saw what I did positive and negative. I thought what better way to help my speed and agility is to lose body fat so that is what I have been focusing on. When you feel sluggish, you are not in the best shape. You can be big and lean and still do the job correctly. If you feel good, you feel better.

Hood has been wearing a six-pound weighted vest during OTAs, something he picked up his rookie year after watching James Harrison do the same thing.

I have been doing it ever since to keep my body in shape, said Hood. It makes you better, faster so when you come to training camp it will make you better. Its all about speed and technique right now. I am going to do what I do and try to stay fast.

Its a new prototype (of defensive linemen). All that big and looking sloppy is out the window. We come in here and we are sexy now.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...a-0e21d6ef5f04