Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #71
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,824 Times in 8,656 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers Coaches line up work for absent linemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
We have all seen Mendenhall spin in an attempt to get away from tacklers, not before he tries to go upfield. If all the guy did was spin before trying to go upfield as you say, then there is no way he would have over 3,000 yards in the past 3 seasons in that crappy offense that was here.

This exaggeration of Mendenhall spinning in the backfield as soon as he gets a handoff is just like "Willie Colon false starts 5 times a game" or " Arians throws bubble screens on 3rd down all the time". (only 1 was thrown on 3rd down last year.)
The Colon only has FOUR false starts per game, and BA called bubble screens on every other 3rd down.

Joking aside, there is/are a basis for these exaggerations: Spinny has indeed spun unnecessarily and/or behind the LOS; The Colon's biggest weakness is the false start; and, BA called far too many bubble screens.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #72
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I think the notion of an every down back in the NFL is something of the past. Can Batch be part of a rotation like Ahmad Bradshaw is?......Yes I think so.
So, we are in agreement.

Call it what you want (I called him a "change-of-pace back"; you call him a "part of a rotation") we are describing the same thing: a RB who will get every third series, and the majority of the 3rd downs.

Bradshaw... McCluster... Very similar players & how they are used.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #73
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
The Colon only has FOUR false starts per game, and BA called bubble screens on every other 3rd down.

Joking aside, there is/are a basis for these exaggerations: Spinny has indeed spun unnecessarily and/or behind the LOS; The Colon's biggest weakness is the false start; and, BA called far too many bubble screens.
Mendenhall has spun outside and gotten chunks of yardage, he has also spun inside when there was no hole and gotten nothing. Its what he does and I think blown way out of proportion.

Colon lacks ideal size for an OT and at times anticipates the count (jumping offside) to try and deal with speed rushers. Again, blown way out of proportion, as I think he accounted for approx the same penalty yardage as Hines Ward's holding and block in the back calls a few seasons ago. Colon was villified, while Ward praised for being a tough WR.

I didnt like Arians offense and at times the bubble screen produced, but yes he went to the well too often IMO.

Quote:
So, we are in agreement.

Call it what you want (I called him a "change-of-pace back"; you call him a "part of a rotation") we are describing the same thing: a RB who will get every third series, and the majority of the 3rd downs.

Bradshaw... McCluster... Very similar players & how they are used.
I think we are similar with Batch. I dont think he has the explosiveness of McCluster, but I think is a stronger runner than him. Rainey can go the distance, Batch cant, so its going to be a numbers game as to who makes the 53 or if Rainey is considered a WR.

I think Redman, Mendenhall, Dwyer, Rainey will make it. Batch goes to the PS. WR's will be Brown, Sanders, Wallace, Cotchery, Clemons. If they make it 6WR with Rainey, then Batch has a chance.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #74
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,496 Times in 2,759 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Agreed: great running ability...runs hard forward; explodes through gaps...which is why he dominated in the goalline drill.

Q: Do YOU think he can be an every down back? I see him as a little too small, but then again, he's as big as LaDainian was at this stage in his career (although, he's no LT).

Regardless, pass-catching is his biggest asset. I immediately thought "Mewelde, part II"...and I've loved Mewelde.
it's possible, batch is not a small running back. 5'10 and 210 lbs, he's about the same dimensions as ray rice, and nobody is saying RR is too small.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #75
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
it's possible, batch is not a small running back. 5'10 and 210 lbs, he's about the same dimensions as ray rice, and nobody is saying RR is too small.
...and LT ...and MJD ... and Barry ...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #76
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Ray Rice, Jones-Drew, and Sanders were all built like tanks.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #77
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

El-Gonzo:

The Colon. We agree. I feel (& have posted) that his false starts are due to a lack of lateral movement. Ergo, he "has" to false start (in order to get in front of DEs/OLBs). But, MOST of the time he is able to get in front of DEs/OLBs...and when he does, he does not give up sacks. But, no one gives him any credit for that. [He should thrive at OG.]

Spinny. I just get so frustrated with him, as I did with Zereoue. My brother once said about Amos: "He's one juke too many from being really good." And I currently feel similarly about Spinny: "He is one spin-move too many away from being really good." [His career reminds me of Larry Johnson's: pretty good for four years, then ge figures it out, and voila! 1800 yards.]

WRs & RBs. I was thinking something along the same lines: Rainey would be kept on, but his official title wouldn't matter: he'd be a WR/RB (sometimes in the slot, sometimes coming out of the backfield, sometimes running the ball). Ergo, he'd be BOTH the 6th WR and the 6th RB.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #78
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
The notion of "being hesitant" is some of the most amusing stuff I read on these types of forums. Its mostly from posters that arent sure what the difference is between a zone block system and a man blocking system.

Mendenhall isnt a straight ahead runner like the Bettis, Bam Morris, Franco Harris type guys. He is best running a stretch play and reading the gaps on a zone block type offense. Its why many likened his style to Eggerin James coming out of college.

He is reading the linemen and looking for holes(rather creases) to open up. That wasnt the case with our line in many games. He would be better running behind a lead blocker (like LeRon McLain or Vontae Leach) in a power man scheme, or in a zone block system where he can read and make cutbacks. He wasnt given much of either here in the past.

Redman isnt fast enough to get to the outside or run a stretch play, so his style of just putting a head down if there is nothing there and falling forward for yardage is a good fit for a lousy line. I think in this system he will do fine running between the tackles with DeCastro, Colon and Pouncey onthe inside.
You missed the point. Yes, the back needs to read the linemen and look for holes to open up. But when there's nothing there, he needs to see that, anticipate that, make a decision and take what he can get, and it has to happen quickly. Mendenhall is slow to make that decision, and so he takes losses unnecessarily, and gives up small gains. He's not decisive.

He also leaves yards on the table at the tail end of his successful runs, going down easily, or going out of bounds prematurely to avoid hits, when he could turn upfield and pick up another five tough yards. Occasionally the coaches will kick his butt, and he improves in this area. He has the physical tools, but his preference is to slack back to his comfort zone. He's just not a tough player.

Redman is a tough player. He plays with effort, heart and desire. That's why he consistently outperforms Mendenhall. Give me the tough guy who outperforms vs. the indecisive pretty boy who won't do the gritty work.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote