Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default Thunder coach Brooks' concludes season with class

Earlier on Friday, we raised questions about whether or not retaining head coach Scott Brooks (who, technically, is a free agent in two weeks' time) would be the best move for the emerging Oklahoma City Thunder. Those worries, based around his rotation choices and less-than-stellar mid-Finals adjustments, will sustain for now.

What's never been in question is our respect for the 2010 NBA Coach of the Year, and his ability to keep a young team fraught with all sorts of pressure from outside sources focused on doing things tactfully, and professionally.

And this video, taken towards the end of the last game of Oklahoma City's season, typifies this warming knowledge. Take a view:

[YOUTUBE]27sg71i3kXs[/YOUTUBE]

Read more: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4095--nba.html

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Thunder coach Brooks' concludes season with class

I can't take anybody seriously that thinks this guy should not be retained. Both he and Erik Spoelstra are among some of the brightest young(ish) minds in the game right now as far as I'm concerned, and their accomplishments should not be overshadowed by the talent that their teams possess. Brooks is one of the most likable guys in the league to boot.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I can't take anybody seriously that thinks this guy should not be retained. Both he and Erik Spoelstra are among some of the brightest young(ish) minds in the game right now as far as I'm concerned, and their accomplishments should not be overshadowed by the talent that their teams possess. Brooks is one of the most likable guys in the league to boot.

I like Brooks but man....he has a bad case of LeBeau-ism. He won't make ANY adjustments.
You could see the series going down the tubes and i figured major changes were on the way. Nope. Mark Cuban was on First Take the day after and was explaining how Dallas beat them last year by making major zone defensive changes because they knew Miami plays the exact same way on offense all the time without change and that they could stop them. They never deviate from the "pat riley" way. Brooks, on the other hand seemed to be MIA and his team looked like they were border-line loafing in games 3, 4, AND 5.

Watching game 5, one immediate thought came into my head over and OVER. This team could really use a Doc Rivers type of coach, a true alpha male leader with unreal smarts for adjustment, change, and motivation.
I'm on the fence about Brooks........but its clear to me, he's not the "genius" the media prematurely made him out to be.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

In fairness, OKC doesn't have the roster to effectively play the zone, especially against such an athletic team as the Heat. Teams like the Spurs and Mavericks use the zone more often because it's more geared toward their roster.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
In fairness, OKC doesn't have the roster to effectively play the zone, especially against such an athletic team as the Heat. Teams like the Spurs and Mavericks use the zone more often because it's more geared toward their roster.

Thats true, although they didn't use Perkins efficiently (as pointed out numerous times by the announcing crew) and they barely seemed to make any adjustments.
If the that series showed me anything (or any other team in the NBA watching), it showed how NOT to play the Miami Heat lol
Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Thats true, although they didn't use Perkins efficiently (as pointed out numerous times by the announcing crew) and they barely seemed to make any adjustments.
If the that series showed me anything (or any other team in the NBA watching), it showed how NOT to play the Miami Heat lol
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ok...-playoffs.html

Quote:
MIAMI Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins played with a partially torn groin in the final three rounds of the playoffs, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Perkins mobility was severely limited in the NBA Finals after suffering the injury in Game 4 of the Thunder's opening-round sweep of the Dallas Mavericks.

For the playoffs, Perkins averaged 4.7 points and 6.2 rebounds in 20 games. Considered one of the top post defenders in the league, Perkins struggled to jump and move laterally in the Finals against Miami.

i guess its pretty easy to blame a coach for a good player's injury.

anyways... i love brooks classy exit from teh playoffs and the message he sent to his YOUNG team. this team could very well win more than lebrons 2-8 and i will be cheering them on every step of the way (hopefully with brooks as the coach).
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ok...-playoffs.html

i guess its pretty easy to blame a coach for a good player's injury.

anyways... i love brooks classy exit from teh playoffs and the message he sent to his YOUNG team. this team could very well win more than lebrons 2-8 and i will be cheering them on every step of the way (hopefully with brooks as the coach).

Yeah, i guess its easy to nitpick on Brooks....but i still really believe this team would be better with an alpha-male leader like Doc Rivers.