Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Drew Brees bends the Saints over a barrel!

Well the thread title is mine but here's just one of the MANY articles out on it:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Clearly he was owed a big contract with his numbers and the new elite QB salaries, but IMO that's ridiculous. With the Saints team a wreak I would have let him walk, sure the next year or two are going to be bad, but they are probably not going to be good anyway and it won't cost you $100 million dollars for a guy who will be playing that contract into his late 30's. I suppose that's a hard decision to make though as the owner, since Brees is pretty much the only thing holding the team together (seems like). I guess based on that, one could make the argument he was worth even more then any other QB, but to have the team by the balls like that and keep squeezing seemed like a dbag move to me.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: Drew Brees bends the Saints over a barrel!

Saints had more leverage last season - given where they are at the momemnt they had to cave and Brees knew it

Steelers and Patriots are on the short list of the few teams who have both the recent record of success and a cold blooded front office to tell a franchise QB in his late prime to take the team's offer or move on
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

the only time i can ever remember the saints not sucking has been with brees there. no brees equals no superbowl. not the one trophy they have now , or any chance of ever sniffing the sb in the near future. options were to pay the man, or go back to the brown bags ..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

the biggest "stat PADDER" of all time. Brees is NOT the best QB in the league. Maybe every team and QB, when they're already up 37-3 in the 4th quarter, should keep on passing, passing, passing, and more passing, just like Brees does.
Then they can end up the season with 5,000+ yards every year (though most teams are smarter than allowing that to happen considering the financial meltdown they'll face when its contract time).

I don't buy into this at all. The Saints should have played hardball here, at least somewhat. This pompous, arrogant, nasty SOB of a QB completely held the franchise up with a gun to their head. Now i hope they don't have the money left (that they'll eventually need) to sign the necessary players around him.
This whole story makes me sick to my stomach.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

TRH Do you not believe if roles had been reversed that the Saints would not have squeezed Brees? Teams and players deserve each other when it comes time to negotiate. Between the players agents and the teams lawyers there is not a bleeding heart in the room.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
the biggest "stat PADDER" of all time. Brees is NOT the best QB in the league. Maybe every team and QB, when they're already up 37-3 in the 4th quarter, should keep on passing, passing, passing, and more passing, just like Brees does.
Then they can end up the season with 5,000+ yards every year (though most teams are smarter than allowing that to happen considering the financial meltdown they'll face when its contract time).

I don't buy into this at all. The Saints should have played hardball here, at least somewhat. This pompous, arrogant, nasty SOB of a QB completely held the franchise up with a gun to their head. Now i hope they don't have the money left (that they'll eventually need) to sign the necessary players around him.
do you know who the saints #2 qb is ? i had to look it up...chase daniel.
like i said , without brees there would be no SB trophy in NO , and without brees they have no shot at one anytime soon. brees may not be the best qb in the league but he sure as hell is the best option NO's has by far. i'm sure there's quite a few teams that would have lined up to offer him the same deal....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the only time i can ever remember the saints not sucking has been with brees there. no brees equals no superbowl. not the one trophy they have now , or any chance of ever sniffing the sb in the near future. options were to pay the man, or go back to the brown bags ..

Hey! I didn't know I had family in New Orleans

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post

This^. Doesn't really make me sick to my stomach lol, but it is ridiculous. I do think he's pretty damn good, but his stats are extremely padded, and due to that he is overrated by almost everybody in the media. Again, he is good, but I've seen him passing down field 3 out of 4 downs in the 4th quarter in a blowout. When most QB's are on the sidelines making sure they don't get injured in a game that is over, Brees in there tearing up the 2nd string defense (cause the other team was smart enough not to leave their good players in the 4th quarter of a blow out).

I think the argument thought to be made is more based on his age and the future of the team. I understand the points being made that without him they would be nothing, but they can't pay based completely off of what he's done in the past, they have to look ahead. The odds of the Saints making it to the playoffs, let alone winning a SB in the upcoming year are next to none, and slim for the year after. Now sure you rather be a 9-7 team these next 2 years instead of a 5-11, but being that these next 2 years are not going to be good anyway, I would (and I think the Steelers FO would do the same) let him walk and focus on the future. By the time the team is competitive Brees will be 35. Sure they may have a year or two left after that with Brees where they will be successful but they could have made some great additions next off season with that money. Young additions that would still be there when they draft a QB 3 or 4 years down the line. I suppose it goes both ways, but that's my opinion on it and I think that's what would have happened in Pittsburgh.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Steeler13
Water Boy

Member Number: 18357

of course Chase Daniel is no Brees, but he had a good career at Mizzou. I'm actually pretty curious to see how he can do.

And we all know how this works. As soon as Brees gets that check, he's gonna get injured.
Steeler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i still stand by what i said. For those who do love Brees.......i ask.......why is he still passing, passing, passing, passing, passing, and more passing in the late 3rd quarters and 4th quarters for. Everybody else is doing some running by then.
Sorry. Brees' 5,000+ yards in a year has an asterik in my book. Maybe every QB in the league, on every team, should pass, pass, and more pass....even if they're up 55-0. Then everybody will have 5,000 yards. It makes me laugh when people around these parts say Ben 'pads stats'. He doesn't.
Brees = largest stat-padder in the history of the game. Easily.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote