Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #51
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Fire Todd Haley!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about this. The thread was started largely as a joke. Not sure if you guys were around back when the Arians thread was alive... now that was something to behold. Haley doesn't have to do too much (especially this season) to avoid the barrage of rotten fruit.

Then again, we Steelers fans are some of the most spoiled fans in the world. It's possible that if Haley isn't running up the score week-in and week-out we'll be hearing about what a bum he is and how he needs to start packing.
All Haley has to do to improve over the Airhead is NOT run repeated passing plays from inside the 20 at night, during a howling blizzard, on a frozen field, when we LOST to the Clownies.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #52
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

i miss joe walton.......sigh.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #53
drucifer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9518

This guy has yet to get us into the playoffs, let alone the AFCCG or the Super Bowl! He must go!
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #54
njsteeler87v2
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23988
My Mood: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
All Haley has to do to improve over the Airhead is NOT run repeated passing plays from inside the 20 at night, during a howling blizzard, on a frozen field, when we LOST to the Clownies.
Same thing happened against the J-E-S-Ts at the Meadowlands, right?
njsteeler87v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #55
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

There were more than a few blunders. Arians didn't get fir... retired just because of the Browns game.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #56
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Over a month of silence in this thread?!? Shocked, to say the least.
steelax04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #57
TXSTEELER
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 960

I thought we were going to run the ball. Not a single rush on their 3 yd line!
TXSTEELER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #58
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,456 Times in 4,809 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Kovacevic: Haley’s Chapter 1 not so bad

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Monday, September 10, 2012

DENVER — The impression left all through the Steelers’ training camp and preseason was that Todd Haley’s playbook — the No. 1 issue then, now and probably for weeks to come — would lean toward power running, would limit Ben Roethlisberger’s punishment and would still leave room for Ben to be Ben.

And now that they’ve finally peeled open the first chapter?

Check, check and CHECK.

Look, I know the 31-19 loss to the Broncos on Sunday night won’t play well back home. The outcome was ugly, the late pick-six Roethlisberger threw late was uglier, and the defensive secondary was ugliest of all in getting decimated by a good-as-new Peyton Manning.

But Haley’s offense?

Ask me, and there were signs there of something solid, sustainable and maybe even career-saving for the $100 million franchise quarterback.

Ask others, and they’ll agree.

“I thought we did pretty well,” Roethlisberger replied to my broad-picture query on the topic. “We were going against a great defense in a hostile environment. We did a lot of no-huddle, mixing things in. We used a lot of clock, worked down the field, made plays when we needed to. ... Overall, I was happy with the way the guys handled the offense.”

Without a doubt, the new offensive coordinator had his head-scratching sequences.

It’s odd to see any NFL team run the ball all through midfield, only to turn to the pass inside the red zone.

It’s odd to see Roethlisberger take his first deep shot of the game in the fourth quarter.

It’s odd to see a roster that’s legitimately four wide receivers deep go with a four wide-set just once in the first half.

It’s odd to see, on first-and-15, Isaac Redman sweep to the left.

Actually, that last one was borderline bizarre.

But you know what?

For the most part, I’ll share the sentiment of Mike Wallace: “We did OK.”

Set aside the numbers. Roethlisberger finished 22 of 40 for 245 yards with two touchdowns. That won’t make anyone forget Tommy Maddox, let alone Tom Brady.

Set aside the pick, too, even if he can’t.

“Throwing that pick ... that’s on me,” Roethlisberger said. “I already told my coaches and teammates, it’s my fault. That loss is squarely on my shoulders.”

If that’s fair – and it isn’t given how the defense bent and eventually broke — then it’s also fair to examine some facets of the offense that might have gone overlooked while Western Pennsylvania was bowing anew before the altar of Bruce Arians:

• The Steelers dominated time of possession, 35:05 to 24:55. That limited Manning’s time on the field, if not necessarily his efficiency. It was easy to forget at times he was in the building.

The four scores came on consecutive drives of 10, 14, 16 and 14 plays, consuming a total of 26:51 off the clock.

“The best thing we did in this game was keep them off the field,” Redman said.

• Roethlisberger ended up being sacked five times, but that’s misleading. He hadn’t even been touched until midway through the third quarter when 190-pound cornerback Chris Harris sneaked through. The rest came late, as the offense was going for broke.

The overall good protection happened even though Ramon Foster and Marcus Gilbert were lost early to injuries.

“I thought we showed we could move the ball and protect,” guard Willie Colon said.

This is no small issue. Roethlisberger is 30. He can’t go on limping his whole career.

• The Steelers got it done on third down, often effortlessly, in converting 11 of 19. Almost always, it was a quick underneath route.

“We put together some long drives, made plays when they counted,” tight end Heath Miller said.

• I’ll say it again: Ben was Ben when he wanted to be.

“There was a lot of work out of the no-huddle,” he said.

That’s Rosetta Stone code for Roethlisberger having called a lot of his own shots. He seemed satisfied by that, and I’ll have to assume Haley was, too, though he won’t be available for interviews until later in the week.

It can get better, no question. More home run attempts. More Chris Rainey than two touches. More power near the goal line.

It didn’t all go by the script, but the opening chapter of the new offense was much better than the cover might show.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2661lFT8I
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #59
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Kovacevic: Haley’s Chapter 1 not so bad

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Monday, September 10, 2012

DENVER — ...

Without a doubt, the new offensive coordinator had his head-scratching sequences.

It’s odd to see any NFL team run the ball all through midfield, only to turn to the pass inside the red zone.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2661lFT8I
This one stuck in my head the most. It's like Bruce Arians left some sort of hex on the OC's office chair, some ghost whispering in Haley's ear: "Do the opposite of what you're supposed to do... that'll get 'em."
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #60
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

My biggest beef of the game was just this same thing. I still would like to see some of the first down runs yield more than 2-3 yards. Second and 6, 2nd and 5, 2nd and 4, ideal downs for a team and Correct me if I am wrong we did not see any of those type downs all night, at least not from runs. Run game can and must improve if we continue to show and use rum mostly in the early downs.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote