Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations
July 25, 2012 5:31 pm
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.

The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.

Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.

The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz21fn7vCTz

__________________________________________________ _____________

Aw hell......

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts
Default Re: Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Just when I was getting my hopes up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Just when I was getting my hopes up.
I look for Wallace to sign his one year tender next week and get in camp.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I look for Wallace to sign his one year tender next week and get in camp.
I hope you're right, but why make things even more difficult? Both sides need to cut out the dick wagging and get a deal done already.

EDIT: Yes, I know it's not just that easy, but dammit, I'm sick of the drama already!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

It was starting to sound like a deal was getting close, now that Wallace took the low road I wouldn't be surprised if this situation just turns into a total pain in the ass like DeShean Jackson's did last year. Wallace is a great deep threat, but we've been playing without a deep threat like that for a LONG TIME. If he want's to screw around and hold out I say we look to trade him. Wallace's deep threat ability is unlike many others, nearly nobody is that fast, but we've won championships without that deep threat before.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Holding out a few days isn't really much of a big deal. We all knew this was a fairly likely possibility. Maybe he just wanted to confirm that the Steelers would cut off negotiations if he didn't show up. Now he knows. I suspect he'll be in camp by next week at some point.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I don't want them to give a contract to Wallace paying him $8 mil a year. That's too much to have locked into a WR in our team. I would be happy with a $4-5 mil/yr contract ($6 at the most) and if that is what the Rooneys are offering - great.

If Wallace wants more, there is nothing we can do. It is his perogative to want more. I just don't want the Steelers to be the ones to give it to him.

I'm with the Rooneys on this. They have a long standing policy not to negotiate with holdouts and if they started doing it with Wallace - they will open a pandora's box that they will never be able to close again.

Top Paid WRs in 2011

1. Lary fitzgerald - $120 mil / 8 yrs (last yr salary : $21 mil)
2. Calvin Johnson - $55 million / 6 yrs (last yr: $12.6 mil)
3. Brandon Marshall - $47 mil / 5 years (last yr: $10.6 mil)
4. Andre Johnson - $62 mil / 7 yr ($8.8 mil)
5. Steve Smith - $43 mil / 6 yrs ($8.5 mil)
6. Miles Austin - $57 mil / 7 yrs ($8.5 mil)
7. Reggie Wayne - $40 mil / 6 yrs ($8.0 mil)
8. Roddy White - $48 mil / 6 yrs ($6.5 mil)
9. Greg Jennings - $27 mil / 4 yrs ($6.5 mil)
10. Anquan Boldin - $28 mil / 4 yrs (6.0 mil)
Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

I just reported the same thing...this is bad news :(

http://talkgridiron.com/2012/07/25/m...suspend-talks/
Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,939 Times in 7,576 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Holding out a few days isn't really much of a big deal. We all knew this was a fairly likely possibility. Maybe he just wanted to confirm that the Steelers would cut off negotiations if he didn't show up. Now he knows. I suspect he'll be in camp by next week at some point.
I wish that I shared your optimism, brother.

Did I miss something?  When did the Steelers state that they would cut off negotiations, if Wallace didn't report???  Then...BLAMO!!! they cut off negotiations.  What!?!  

While it is their right (& to a degree, expected), to me, it still seems like a "bully" move (that came out of nowhere).  

Because, now... I expect Wallace to play hardball, and not report until he gets a new contract.  

Why not just continue negotiations???... & have faith that a deal will get done soon.   I know, I know: the flip side is that Wallace could simply report & have faith that a deal will get done soon.  

I just don't like this.  Again, I know that the Steelers hold a few trump cards, and maybe they "had" to play one of them (to make a point)... but, I fear a huge stand-off.   
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i like how everybody before....said "ah, don't worry, he'll be there the first day when camp comes..".

Now, some are saying "ah, don't worry, he'll be here in a couple days". And i'm seeing "ah, he'll be here soon...". I'm not seeing ANYthing positive so far in this situation whatsoever... And i'm not seeing anything that would change one's mind otherwise.
He should have been here first day. No reason to think "he'll be here in a couple days". I'm glad the Steelers suspended negotiations. Good for the b*st**d. I hope they cut his pay like they are entitled to do (although i don't think they will unless this goes into games...).

The HInes Ward situation quoted in the article was different. Different in that Hines seems like a much more "stand-up" kind of guy and truly liked playing here and wanted to be here. He proved that right through the retirement. Wallace isn't that guy. To me, he could care less if he's here or somewhere else.

Steelers......move the team on.......and just worry about locking down a long-termer on Antonio Brown. Try to do it sooner than later...the more we wait on that one, the higher the price point will get.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote