Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,504 Times in 9,932 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default SIGN Wallace, DRAFT defense, WIN multiple SuperBowls

I was thinking about the following:  

If the Steelers re-sign Wallace, they'd have a top three offense in the league (if not the best)... for the next FIVE years.  I know Steelers fans are accustomed to low-scoring, defensive battles, but maybe the Steelers will OUTSCORE opponents.  [NOTE: I have a plan for the defense; hear me out.]  

Re-signing BOTH Wallace & Brown eats up a lot of cap space.  BUT, the Steelers would not have to draft a WR for the next five years; they'd be set.  

Also, with the WR duo locked up, along with BB, Heath, and a very young (The Colon is the "oldest" at 27) & talented O-line, they'd have NINE of their ten offensive starters locked up for the next five years.  [The eleventh "starter" switches, depending on packages: TE, FB, or third WR.]  The RB situation is currently the only "question mark"... although, with this O-line, ANY back should prosper.  

Wallace, Brown, Heath.  
BB.  
Adams, The Colon, Pouncey, DD, Gilbert.  

There would be NO need to draft a WR, QB, TE, or O-lineman for the next five years (or, at least, not before R5).  

WHAT ABOUT THE DEFENSE!?!  
At DE, the Steelers have two young studs (Hood & Heyward).  At LB, they have Timmons & Woodley.  At CB, they have Allen, Lewis, & Brown (two of whom will start).  

That is six, young starters.  

I don't know yet about Ta'amu, but I have high hopes.  The same goes for Spence & Sly (one of whom I think will play ILB).  And, I think Mundy will develop into a Darren Perry type of player.  

That leaves only two positions to "fill": SS & OLB.  

But, let's assume that the aforementioned "unprovens" at NT, ILB, & FS need to be addressed through the draft.  That means that the Steelers can focus solely on these positions for the next five years:  
SS, OLB...  maybe NT, ILB, FS... &  possibly RB.  

They could draft one of each of those six positions, every single year (for the next five years) until they "hit" on one at each position.  Let's assume that "only" the first two round picks become starters... even then, in three years, EVERY position on the team "should" have a young, talented starter.  For example...

2013:  
R1:  OLB ...  R2:  SS  

2013:  
R1:  RB ...  R2:  FS  

2013:  
R1:  ILB ...  R2:  NT  

And, like I stated, I am high on Ta'amu and Spence/Sly (and think that Mundy is serviceable).  So, really, after the 2013 draft, the Steelers "should" have a young, talented player at every position.  The subsequent years' drafts would focus on defense, defense, defense.  

Why?  

Well, the offense is locked up for five years.  

On defense, the Steelers would stockpile players (from years & years of focusing on defense).  That way, when a defensive player becomes a FA, the Steelers could simply replace him with a "starter in waiting."  And, if they somehow didn't hit on a starter, well, the Steelers could use their R1 pick (that year) on that defensive position.  

In other words, with 70% of the cap being taken up by offensive players, the defense would consist largely of a rotation of young & inexpensive, early round talent (with a few All-Pros signed to long-term deals).  

So... sign Wallace!!!  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,866 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: SIGN Wallace, DRAFT defense, WIN multiple SuperBowls

I heard you out.

how do we afford Pouncey when he's due? None of the starters on the OL are locked up for 5 years.

Also, there's a reason rookies never start on defense. It takes a while to learn. Rotating in inexperienced guys will keep us middle of the pack.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

if we sign wallace we likely cant afford heath (or anything other than a "run by committe" made up of 6th round -FA running backs)
Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I heard you out.

how do we afford Pouncey when he's due? None of the starters on the OL are locked up for 5 years.

Also, there's a reason rookies never start on defense. It takes a while to learn. Rotating in inexperienced guys will keep us middle of the pack.
Good points.  

OFFENSE
The 70% of the cap used on the offense includes money set aside for Pouncey.  [I should have been more clear: most of the cap money is to be used on offense: current & future contracts.]  

Likewise, technically, DD, Adams, and Gilbert are signed for "only" four years...  close enough (for my point).  

DEFENSE  
The only instance where a rookie would start on defense, would be in the event that the Steelers didn't have a "starter in waiting."  But, I aver that after focusing on defense in the draft (for many years), the Steelers "should" have starters & back-ups (players waiting to start) to avoid that dilemma.  
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

How is Clemons doing?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

DEFENSE  
The only instance where a rookie would start on defense, would be in the event that the Steelers didn't have a "starter in waiting."  But, I aver that after focusing on defense in the draft (for many years), the Steelers "should" have starters & back-ups (players waiting to start) to avoid that dilemma.  
Hood needs to be extended next year too.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if we sign wallace we likely cant afford heath (or anything other than a "run by committe" made up of 6th round -FA running backs)
Heath: part of that 70% allotted for offense.

RB: I have it listed as on of the six positions to draft early (2014).
Old 07-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

If we survive until the new TV money kicks in 2014, we can probably afford anyone. That cap is going up. Way up. But of course salaries will skyrocket as well. Antonio Brown's deal for 7 mil a year may seem like a bargain basement deal.

The problem with Wallace is if he turned down 10 mil per he must really believe he is going to get well over 12 million per and even the Steelers won't pay that for a guy who can be taken out of a game. I'm surprised they went to 10 mil per as reported.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
How is Clemons doing?
Well so far I hear he is dropping balls every day which was a knock on him in college. I think more and more he is going to be a practice squad guy with either the Steelers signing a vet late (Plaxico) or Marquis Maze, Derrick Williams, or Teiler Beiler making the team instead. But we will see how Clemons does in pre-season. All it takes is a few spectacular catches to make the team.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204

very well thought out post teegre,

Lots of youth ready to emerge on both sides of the ball. Lots of already-established-guys on both sides of the ball. Hell, many of them are young too!!

But I gotta go w/ Vis on this one...

Ziggy, Heyward, Lewis, Allen, Sanders, Pouncey, and Redman. All come due at some point in a year or two. All have established themselves in this league.

I think Colbert, Khan & Co already have dollars earmarked for Pouncey. You gotta figure they have dollars earmarked for either Ziggy or Heyward's 2nd contract. But if they both pan out, who knows we could resign em both! Steelers like to keep their own as we all know.

Then you look at guys like Lewis or Redman. Both guys are getting their first opportunity to enter camp as favorite to finish atop the depth chart. One or both of them could have big seasons. Now, Im not predicting this will happen, but its not a struggle for me to imagine Redman playing well enough this season that he could establish himself as the primary ball carrier and worthy of a contract extension.

As a result of all the young talent you mentioned in your post, we need to maintain as much financial stability as we can.

So I would not support as massive extension for Wallace...and Im guessing that is exactly what he is seeking.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote