Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,642 Times in 8,600 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: SIGN Wallace, DRAFT defense, WIN multiple SuperBowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Hood needs to be extended next year too.
I have never been a fan of Hood (which means that he'll have a breakout year).  I would assume that he could be re-signed for cheap.  Otherwise... 

Good point: they'd need to add DE to the list of players to draft.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,091 Times in 569 Posts

Wallace isn't too bright. It would be better to trade him. I dont even trust him in a contract year. He mailed it in, in the second half last year, who's to say he wouldn't do the same again knowing people out there will pay him 11 mil anyways?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204

trading him simply b/c he's "not too bright" would be...ummm...not too bright

But trading him FOR NOTHING would be OUTRAGEOUS

He is a valuable asset that, whether Wallace likes it or not, is under control of Rooney Inc. until the 2013 Franchise deadline. They will/should treat him as such.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
very well thought out post teegre,

Lots of youth ready to emerge on both sides of the ball. Lots of already-established-guys on both sides of the ball. Hell, many of them are young too!!

But I gotta go w/ Vis on this one...

Ziggy, Heyward, Lewis, Allen, Sanders, Pouncey, and Redman. All come due at some point in a year or two. All have established themselves in this league.

I think Colbert, Khan & Co already have dollars earmarked for Pouncey. You gotta figure they have dollars earmarked for either Ziggy or Heyward's 2nd contract. But if they both pan out, who knows we could resign em both! Steelers like to keep their own as we all know.

Then you look at guys like Lewis or Redman. Both guys are getting their first opportunity to enter camp as favorite to finish atop the depth chart. One or both of them could have big seasons. Now, Im not predicting this will happen, but its not a struggle for me to imagine Redman playing well enough this season that he could establish himself as the primary ball carrier and worthy of a contract extension.

As a result of all the young talent you mentioned in your post, we need to maintain as much financial stability as we can.

So I would not support as massive extension for Wallace...and Im guessing that is exactly what he is seeking.
I hear your concerns.  

Hmmm...  

Allow me to try to counter/convince you.

REDMAN: If he establishes him as a startling caliber RB, that eliminates one more draft-needy position (more picks to use on defensive players).  And, the offense gets 70% of the cap (which would include a RB).  Lastly, he'd be the final cog on offense (which would be a good thing).  I'm all for him becoming the next Thomas Jones.  

LEWIS:  If he has a good year, he'd get a decent contract.  Only having one year as a starter, he won't require much (especially with Allen & Brown behind him).  Speaking of Allen...

HEYWARD & ALLEN: They won't be due for three years.  They are two of those players who will be kept long-term (I see them as All-Pros).  They would be in that 30%.  

HOOD:  I have never been a fan of Hood (which means that he'll have a breakout year).  I would assume that he could be re-signed for cheap.  Otherwise...  they'd need to add DE to the list of players to draft.  
Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
TheDude
Draft Prospect

But your right OX

he isnt displaying much intelligence right now

But its like the Forrest Gump movie...he's a little slow mentally, but he sure can run!!! :)
Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
TheDude
Draft Prospect

teegre,

Im with you, defense should be the priority in up coming drafts

But overspending for Wallace would handcuff us financially...Wallace is not the kinda player you take that risk with IMO
Old 07-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
But overspending for Wallace would handcuff us financially...Wallace is not the kinda player you take that risk with IMO
I understand your point: $17 million per season locked into two WRs seems like a lot... except, these two are like the early days of Boldin & Fitzgerald: the BEST, young receiving duo in the NFL.  Pittsburgh wouldn't need another "starting" WR for the next five years.  

And, that fiscal handcuffs is actually the crux of my point: focus most of the money on offense; use the draft picks on defense.  

And... abide, dude... abide.  

[EDIT:  I hope that everyone gets this reference...  and doesn't think that I am actually "telling" him to abide...]

Last edited by teegre; 07-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I would like to see how this years draft plays out before we commit most of our future picks on defense. We are a little long in the tooth in certain positions, we also have a good nucleus for our offense also. What we do not know is whether that translates to more production yet on the field. I look forward to the Haley era, but so far we are no better than last year until the team takes the field and produces. Injuries, penalties, and learning woes could play havoc with the teams plans.

It is not too early to be looking for a young QB to groom for Ben, I know hes only 30 but he has taken more hits than QBs 4-5 years older. As far as signing Wallace I believe its up to him now. I for one hope we dont break the bank on one player. I know its the off season and I love the anticipation of the new season, new players, new offense, but lets temper it with some caution. I firmly believe we can be very good this year despite what some talking heads say, but i know a season can turn south with just a little bad luck or misfortune.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I understand there will be some key contracts coming up eventually, but there will also be some key contracts departing, like Hampton, Harrison, Foote, and maybe even Taylor, Clark, and Miller. As far as Redman goes, if he proves himself to be a starter this year, I expect his contract demands to be much less than average. He's already 27, and he'll be 28 in November.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Why do we even care about salaries? It's not my money and the Rooneys are rich anyways. Just pay all the players what they want so we can keep them all and keep them happy.