Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,107 Times in 8,071 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: SIGN Wallace, DRAFT defense, WIN multiple SuperBowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I understand there will be some key contracts coming up eventually, but there will also be some key contracts departing, like Hampton, Harrison, Foote, and maybe even Taylor, Clark, and Miller. As far as Redman goes, if he proves himself to be a starter this year, I expect his contract demands to be much less than average. He's already 27, and he'll be 28 in November.
Great point.  
Cut Foote; sign Lewis.  Cut Ike; sign Heyward.  Et cetera.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Why do we even care about salaries? It's not my money and the Rooneys are rich anyways. Just pay all the players what they want so we can keep them all and keep them happy.
Salary cap. Alas, teams can't keep everyone.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #23
Black N' Yellow
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Why do we even care about salaries? It's not my money and the Rooneys are rich anyways. Just pay all the players what they want so we can keep them all and keep them happy.
Salary cap. You should know this after 1,400 posts....
Black N' Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Speaking of salary cap, it is suppose to take a big jump in a year or two when the new tv contract kicks in...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #25
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Speaking of salary cap, it is suppose to take a big jump in a year or two when the new tv contract kicks in...
But it will be the same for everyone. The better front offices will still have the edge over the weaker front offices, which is that they'll evaluate talent better, avoid overpaying for individuals, and work effectively to craft the best overall team.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!

teegre - Interesting post. Here's one counter-observation - we're still far from solid at O-line.

Yes, we've done a fine job with revamping and setting up our starters, although left tackle is still a possible weakness if Adams doesn't come through. But our depth still consists of journeymen/castoff level players, mostly NFL periphery type of guys. We need to continue beefing up in that area; a few injuries could easily expose the weaknesses that we've been dealing with for the past five years.

However, let me say that it's encouraging that some of these veteran guys are beginning to get serious about getting into shape. That's a new wrinkle, but the writing is on the wall, and our O-line is starting to become competitive, and NFL-caliber. But we need depth.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

That's what backups are. If you look around the league, the Steelers likely have enviable depth in comparison to many other teams. All of them have significant starting experience. If you have starters as backups, then you have to pay them starter money.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #28
TheVet
Assistant Coach

In my opinion: We've been a bottom-20% line for the past five years. Some of the players who have seen significant playing time aren't really NFL-caliber, and don't serve as quality backups. Starting on an exceptionally weak line doesn't really count as significant starting experience.

But I respect your opinion, even though we differ 180 degrees on what we think of the O-line and OC performance over the past five years.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
teegre - Interesting post. Here's one counter-observation - we're still far from solid at O-line.

Yes, we've done a fine job with revamping and setting up our starters, although left tackle is still a possible weakness if Adams doesn't come through. But our depth still consists of journeymen/castoff level players, mostly NFL periphery type of guys. We need to continue beefing up in that area; a few injuries could easily expose the weaknesses that we've been dealing with for the past five years.

However, let me say that it's encouraging that some of these veteran guys are beginning to get serious about getting into shape. That's a new wrinkle, but the writing is on the wall, and our O-line is starting to become competitive, and NFL-caliber. But we need depth.
Legitimate counter-point...
...and now, a counter-counter-point.  

ADAMS:  The only weakness is consistency; skill-wise, the kid is a "top 15 draft" player.  Not a Clady or Ogden, but a Marvel Smith.  [But, your point is taken... although, I am very hopeful.  Kugler WILL keep him consistent: in Kugler I trust.]  

Worst-case: Gilbert & Adams switch sides... because, Gilbert has shown enough skill (when he filled in last season) to be a John Jackson level OT.  

BACK-UPS:  
Any team would be in trouble if their starting O-line went down.  There just isn't enough money to keep ten "starters."  

Speaking of starters, the OTs are good; I feel that The Colon will flourish at his new position; and Pouncey & DD are insane!!!  I haven't been this excited in years.  

Back to the back-ups.  

Legursky is the epitome of a back-up: not quite good enough to start a full season, but not much drop off for a game or two.  And, he can play all three interior positions.  

Foster was the most consistent O-lineman last season.  He could start on at least ten other teams.  

Essex can play any OT or OG spot; Starks is a former starter; and, Beachum is an unknown, as of yet (although, he was a Kugler pick... who is supposed to be smart, and can play all five positions).  

I admit that I'd like to draft a back-up OT... because neither Essex nor Starks are spring chickens.  BUT, not before R5.  [I'd prefer to use the higher picks on S, OLB, ILB.]  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I'd like you to do me a favor and name 10 teams with better offensive line depth. I'm honestly curious about how the Steelers' o-line depth compares to others in the league, but my hunch is that it's more than satisfactory.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote