Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #31
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default Re: SIGN Wallace, DRAFT defense, WIN multiple SuperBowls

Hi Doddens, I hope it's OK, but I really don't want to go there. I respect your opinion, but we look at the same things and see them completely differently; e.g., for me Arians was the root of our offensive problems, but you see him as a key reason why we've been to two Super Bowls. We won't reach agreement, so let's not do this. Thanks for understanding!
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!

teegre -

My concern about left tackle would be if Adams doesn't win a starting role. That would be really disappointing; Adams and Gilbert switching sides might not be the "worst case," if you get my meaning. We'd still be better than last year with Colon and DD, and our other starters are strong enough that we can accommodate a single weakness. But beyond our projected five, I'm not really comfortable relying on anyone else for more than an occasional emergency spot start.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,645 Times in 8,937 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
teegre -

My concern about left tackle would be if Adams doesn't win a starting role. That would be really disappointing; Adams and Gilbert switching sides might not be the "worst case," if you get my meaning. We'd still be better than last year with Colon and DD, and our other starters are strong enough that we can accommodate a single weakness. But beyond our projected five, I'm not really comfortable relying on anyone else for more than an occasional emergency spot start.
Vet,  
Let me see if I follow.  Your concern is "what if" Adams never starts at LT.  (Yes?)  Here is a tiered hierarchy of "bust to starter."  Please, tell me your level of concern.  

1.  Adams never pans out.  

2.  Adams can't play LT.  After a year behind Starks, he switches to RT.  

3.  Max Starks starts in front of Adams for a year.  Then, when ready, Adams starts at LT.  

4.  Max Starks starts in front of Adams for a month.  Then, Adams takes over.  

5.  Adams starts at LT in September.  

My level is around 4... and hoping for 5.  My worst-case is 3, but could see 2.  [Again, what is your predicted level?  And, how can I assuage your concerns?]  

Lastly, while it messes up my gameplan, in the event that it is indeed level 1, let's hope that the Steelers realize before the next draft, and select Barrett Jones at 32.  [Note: I like Jones, but would prefer to "not" have to draft him.]  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #34
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I understand your point: $17 million per season locked into two WRs seems like a lot... except, these two are like the early days of Boldin & Fitzgerald: the BEST, young receiving duo in the NFL.  Pittsburgh wouldn't need another "starting" WR for the next five years.  

And, that fiscal handcuffs is actually the crux of my point: focus most of the money on offense; use the draft picks on defense.  

And... abide, dude... abide.  

[EDIT:  I hope that everyone gets this reference...  and doesn't think that I am actually "telling" him to abide...]
oh the dude most definitely abides
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #35
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,145 Times in 1,987 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I've always thought up until this point, we haven't had "it" in terms of bodies that can handle a good to great pass rush

guys like Starks and co who are on the back end were great back in Bus's/Willie Parker days - mudders, but - they tend to step all over an injure each other when it comes to pass protection and even most of the running plays

i'm glad we have just been payin attention the past couple drafts - i think with the upgrades we are automatic top 10 quality line

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #36
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Hi Doddens, I hope it's OK, but I really don't want to go there. I respect your opinion, but we look at the same things and see them completely differently; e.g., for me Arians was the root of our offensive problems, but you see him as a key reason why we've been to two Super Bowls. We won't reach agreement, so let's not do this. Thanks for understanding!
That's fine, but I'm still interested in what other people think.

How does everybody feel about the Steelers' offensive line depth this year (presumably Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, and Trai Essex, with Kelvin Beachum possibly being in play)? Compared to the rest of the league? I by no means am an expert on league-wide offensive line depth, but I get the impression that the Steelers' could be better than average. Other opinions?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #37
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,854 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I'd like you to do me a favor and name 10 teams with better offensive line depth. I'm honestly curious about how the Steelers' o-line depth compares to others in the league, but my hunch is that it's more than satisfactory.
I'd have to agree with that.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #38
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,854 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
That's fine, but I'm still interested in what other people think.

How does everybody feel about the Steelers' offensive line depth this year (presumably Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, and Trai Essex, with Kelvin Beachum possibly being in play)? Compared to the rest of the league? I by no means am an expert on league-wide offensive line depth, but I get the impression that the Steelers' could be better than average. Other opinions?
Before Adams got into trouble, he was ranked among the top three best lineman in the draft, and some boards had him going first among fellow lineman. Considering we picked him, and DeCastro, my expectations are high.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #39
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,645 Times in 8,937 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
oh the dude most definitely abides
LOL
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #40
TheVet
Assistant Coach

teegre - I'm completely jazzed by this year's draft, especially the ramp-up on the O-line. I've got super-high hopes for the OL based on DD, Adams, getting Colon back and utilized properly, and all of this bounty flowing after Pouncey and Gilbert. A huge weakness suddenly becomes a strength in terms of the starting 5 - it almost seems too good to be true.

I'm assuming that DD will be a starter with no question, based on the draft information. And Adams should be as well, based on the same rationale as Bayz pointed out. That is my hope and my expectation.

But let me just say it flat out - if Adams can't straight out win a starting position at one of the two tackle positions, I'll be disappointed, because I don't think that's really much of a challenge if he's worth the pick - even if Starks were fully healthy at the beginning of the season.