Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #41
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,974 Posts
Default Re: SIGN Wallace, DRAFT defense, WIN multiple SuperBowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
That's fine, but I'm still interested in what other people think.

How does everybody feel about the Steelers' offensive line depth this year (presumably Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, and Trai Essex, with Kelvin Beachum possibly being in play)? Compared to the rest of the league? I by no means am an expert on league-wide offensive line depth, but I get the impression that the Steelers' could be better than average. Other opinions?
3 weeks ago, pat kirwan was beating the drum for 5 teams that NEEDED to sign max starks immediately, before the steelers snagged him up again (for next to nothing). he even advocated them giving him sligtly more $$$ than the steelers would offer.

him and tim ryan also applauded the quick signing of jon scott by detroit.

look at our starting line-ups in our past 2 superbowls vs our current 2nd string- is just as good (if not better or the same).

i loosely follow other teams starting 5 and i feel we can easilly be top 10. our back ups should easilly be the most experienced in the league.

i say 1-9or10 in depth there are atleast 25 teams very envious of what we got to work with. shhhhhh.... dont tell nobody though. everyone still thinks its one of our main weakness just like they think our defense is old, slow, and tired.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #42
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,986 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
3 weeks ago, pat kirwan was beating the drum for 5 teams that NEEDED to sign max starks immediately, before the steelers snagged him up again (for next to nothing). he even advocated them giving him sligtly more $$$ than the steelers would offer.

him and tim ryan also applauded the quick signing of jon scott by detroit.

look at our starting line-ups in our past 2 superbowls vs our current 2nd string- is just as good (if not better or the same).

i loosely follow other teams starting 5 and i feel we can easilly be top 10. our back ups should easilly be the most experienced in the league.

i say 1-9or10 in depth there are atleast 25 teams very envious of what we got to work with. shhhhhh.... dont tell nobody though. everyone still thinks its one of our main weakness just like they think our defense is old, slow, and tired.
Yep. Our defense is old, slow and tired, and our offensive line is weak. However, the Ravens offensive line is young, as is there defense. Welcome to the world of the NFL, but hey, i'm not complaining. All the more reason for us to be angry and come from under the radar.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #43
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Unfortunately, we won't be flying under the radar for very long after we blowout the Broncos and Manning on the road game 1.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #44
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Well so far I hear he is dropping balls every day which was a knock on him in college. I think more and more he is going to be a practice squad guy with either the Steelers signing a vet late (Plaxico) or Marquis Maze, Derrick Williams, or Teiler Beiler making the team instead. But we will see how Clemons does in pre-season. All it takes is a few spectacular catches to make the team.
I suspect if Clemons is having issue with drops, yo may be right. I doubt (and hope they don't ) they sign Burress. If Clemons cnat get on the 53 man roster, I believe it mill be Maze.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #45
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,986 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I suspect if Clemons is having issue with drops, yo may be right. I doubt (and hope they don't ) they sign Burress. If Clemons cnat get on the 53 man roster, I believe it mill be Maze.
Clemons is tall, and has drop issues.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #46
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,878 Times in 9,344 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
teegre - I'm completely jazzed by this year's draft, especially the ramp-up on the O-line. I've got super-high hopes for the OL based on DD, Adams, getting Colon back and utilized properly, and all of this bounty flowing after Pouncey and Gilbert. A huge weakness suddenly becomes a strength in terms of the starting 5 - it almost seems too good to be true.

I'm assuming that DD will be a starter with no question, based on the draft information. And Adams should be as well, based on the same rationale as Bayz pointed out. That is my hope and my expectation.

But let me just say it flat out - if Adams can't straight out win a starting position at one of the two tackle positions, I'll be disappointed, because I don't think that's really much of a challenge if he's worth the pick - even if Starks were fully healthy at the beginning of the season.
Vet,  
I haven't been this excited about many things in many years.  

First off, I haven't been as excited about a draft pick since BB.  I watch a lot of Stanford football, and DD is the bee's knees (as well as the legs, feet, & ankles).  

Secondly, I haven't been this excited about the O-line since... well... maybe ever.  Better than Dawson-Love-Wilford.  Yes, I think that they have the potential to be "that" good.  [More on them in a minute.]  

Lastly, I can't wait to see BB behind a great O-line.  I have always hoped that I'd see him behind even a "good" line... but, alas, he's only had the abominations of the past few years.  Now... with a potentially great line... I am aflurry with excitement!!!  

Back to the O-line.  

DD.  he is flat-out amazing.  Possibly more  importantly, he makes Pouncey even better.  Since Pouncey would no longer have to help out and/or make up for the lackluster play of the OG next to him, Pouncey can focus on "only" his assignment... which will take him from great to elite.  

The Colon.  I won't go into much detail (it's been covered on this board), but I think that he flourishes as an OG.  

Gilbert has shown to be above average, and has the potential to be good.  And Adams has the potential to be great (assuming that Kugler can keep him focused & motivated... because, Adams has the necessary skills to play LT just as well as Marvel Smith did).  

Now... as far as your concerns with Adams "not beating out Starks", might I add a thought: BB loves Starks, and more importantly, BB trusts Starks.  AND, Starks is very consistent.  

Furthermore, the LT position can take a while to learn.  Only three O-lineman, at any position, have EVER started as rookies for the Steelers in the past 30 years.    

While I can understand your disappointment (if he doesn't start in September), I personally wouldn't be disappointed ("expectation level" is what defines one's disappointment).   I "expect" Starks to start, because BB trusts him (& Starks is more consistent), but then, I "expect" Adams' talent to be too much to ignore, and once he is more consistent, Adams WILL take over (by week seven-ish).  
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #47
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,579 Times in 5,191 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Notebook: Wallace, Practice Routine, Rashard

Posted Aug. 22, 2012
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Reports are that wide receiver Mike Wallace will be back with the team following this Saturday’s game against the Buffalo Bills, something his teammates have been hearing as well.

“That is the speculation and I think it’s true,” said receiver Emmanuel Sanders. “I have been hearing he is going to show up soon. We are looking forward to getting him out here. He brings those big plays to the team, speed to the team. We are all excited for the weekend to see what happens.”

Wallace gives the Steelers passing game the element of speed, something that will not only be a benefit for the air attack, but also help the running game.

“With him back, everybody else will respect our passing game,” said running back Jonathan Dwyer. “We have a great group already, and with one more person and the speed he brings to the game, that just adds another dimension to the offense.

“With him back and the group of receivers we have and we also have good tight ends, everyone will have to respect Ben Roethlisberger’s arm, which opens running lanes for us.”

Rookie offensive tackle Mike Adams is getting his first taste of what things will be like when the regular season starts, as this week’s practice schedule is what it’s like during the regular season.

“It’s been cool just to get to settle in and see how a real game week goes and also be down here on the South Side,” said Adams. “The biggest difference is actual game planning and watching film on your opponents.”

With a Saturday game the schedule is a little odd, but on Wednesday the team ran through what a normal in-season Thursday is like, from the walk-thru, to practice and meetings.

“I don’t think it’s a big switch, the schedule is better for them,” said Sanders, who in his third season is used to things now. “You get finished earlier. It’s a lot better. The schedule is not that hard, you just have to look at the board. It’s different, but we are enjoying spending time here, in the locker room and so forth.”

Most of the team’s younger players won’t see as much playing time this week, with the starters seeing their most extensive playing time of the preseason. And for Sanders, that means a lot of reps for him as he continues to start in Mike Wallace’s absence.

“It’s definitely a different vibe around here,” said Sanders. “The first two preseason games were like a warm-up. This third preseason game we are simulating a regular season game. The starters are preparing to play the majority of the game. We are preparing for that.”

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is off the physically unable to perform list, back to football work just seven months after tearing his ACL in the 2011 regular season finale in Cleveland.

“He looked pretty good to me,” said fellow running back Jonathan Dwyer. “We’ll see how he progresses. He’s moving pretty well and we’ll see how he does.

“That was my first time seeing him in pads and actually moving around, and he looked pretty good. He’s going to get better every day and we’re just helping each other out.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-7b9e11092398
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #48
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,112 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i hope mendy is ready by the time the season starts, and near full 100% by midseason. I think he can be very successful in haley's offense

that's if he trusts his knee enough, first year back from an ACL is not easy I understand
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #49
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i hope mendy is ready by the time the season starts, and near full 100% by midseason. I think he can be very successful in haley's offense

that's if he trusts his knee enough, first year back from an ACL is not easy I understand
I do too< I drafted Mendy in the last round of my fantasy draft.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote