Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default "A Road to Glory" Release Date 9/5/06

Steelers 2005 Super Bowl XL Championship Season Narrated In Highlight Film Titled, "A Road To Glory"

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers unprecedented run to their Super Bowl XL championship brought the Vince Lombardi Trophy back to Pittsburgh and the memorable highlights from the 2005 season are captured in the team's annual season highlight film, "A Road To Glory."

The film, which premiered today in the East Club Lounge at Heinz Field, details the Steelers memorable season from beginning the year 7-2 to their three-game losing streak through the eight-game winning streak that culminated with the team's fifth Super Bowl victory.

"A Road To Glory" is now available to the public for group and private showings.

The 23-minute video chronicles the Steelers march through the season and on the road throughout the playoffs. After opening with a 7-2 record, the Steelers dropped their next three games to fall out of first place in the AFC North Division. They rebounded by winning four straight games to close the regular season with an 11-5 record, earning the final spot in the playoffs.

The video also shows the unprecedented run through the playoffs en route to Super Bowl XL. The Steelers became the first sixth seed to reach the Super Bowl and also were the first team to win three straight road games in the playoffs.

Several featured segments captured in 2005 highlight video include running back Jerome Bettis' storybook ending to his career as he won his first Super Bowl championship in his hometown of Detroit. Also, running back Willie Parker became the starting running back and posted his first 1,000-yard season while also adding a record-breaking 75-yard touchdown run in the Super Bowl. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger became the youngest starting quarterback to win a Super Bowl and wide receiver Hines Ward eclipsed John Stallworth on the team's all-time receiving list.

"A Road To Glory" was produced by Bethel Park-native John Weiss of NFL Films, his 17th Steelers highlight project. KDKA Radio's Larry Richert narrates the video, while the Steelers broadcast team of Bill Hillgrove, former Steelers All-Pro Tunch Ilkin and former Steelers offensive lineman Craig Wolfley are featured in radio calls of game action.

"A Road To Glory" is available for purchase on September 5, 2006, through the Steelers' website, media3.steelers.com, or by calling 1-800-TEAM-TUF (832-6883). Groups interested in borrowing "A Remarkable Run" for private functions can call (412) 432-7820 or write the Pittsburgh Steelers Communications Department at 3400 South Water Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203. Please note that DVDs can be borrowed for a maximum of one week at a time. - www.steelers.com
Old 05-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,126 Times in 4,605 Posts
Default Re: "A Road to Glory" Release Date 9/5/06

well i will be getting this but i noticed the champion dvd was pretty much the exact same stuff i recorded every week off of hbo's "inside the nfl" (i pretty much couldve compiled my own champ dvd)

23 minutes long says it is made for a 30 min. tv segment with allotted time for commercials. im wondering if this will be something new or something ive already got (twice) in different packaging.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

The NFL Films one that came with the SI package is my alltime favorite football DVD. I mailed a backup of my copy to my good friend in Seattle today. :)
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

If its Steelers+SuperBowl=Champions its gotta be great
Old 05-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Steelers' new video is a keeper
Saturday, May 20, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It took 26 years for NFL Films to produce a happy ending to its Steelers highlights video.

Through one 5-11 and two 6-10 seasons, a loss in Super Bowl XXX and playoff failures that included setbacks in five AFC championship games, Steve Sabol of NFL Films kept grinding out highlights videos for the Steelers. Always, through the magic of the editing room, he left the audience with a glimmer of hope for the upcoming season. Sometimes, it was necessary to focus more on younger players who might provide optimism rather than the season itself.

Yesterday, he premiered a film for invited guests inside a Heinz Field club lounge where the guy finally gets the girl at the end.

Titled "Road to Glory -- The 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers," this promises to be in demand more than, say, the 1988 production from Chuck Noll's 5-11 misfits.

"Those tend to stay on the shelf," club president Art Rooney said of the videos of the oppressed years. "This one will be off the shelf."

Fans can't buy the DVD until it goes on sale Sept. 5, although groups can borrow a copy from the Steelers for private functions by calling them at 412-432-7820.

As usual with products from NFL Films, the Steelers' highlights video is well done. It was, however, done previously. The Special Edition of Super Bowl XL Champions with the same Steve Sabol of NFL Films as executive producer was distributed by Warner Home Video two months ago and contains much of the same material as "Road to Glory."

That one was narrated by Harry Kalas, the voice of NFL Films. "Road to Glory" carries the voice of KDKA radio's Larry Richert, who first narrated a Steelers highlight film in 1985 after the death of John Facenda. John Weiss, a Bethel Park native who works for NFL Films, produced his 17th Steelers video.

Weiss and Richert did not have to work to provide the highlights this time.

"They were mostly successful," Richert said of the Steelers' seasons in which he worked on their film. "But there were some lean years. You always want to take it to the top."

The film opens with a solitary Jeff Hartings snapping a football into the Steelers' closed locker room door at Heinz Field. It ends with shots from the victory parade downtown.

The highlights show the team's success through the first half of the season, followed by three consecutive losses and a 7-5 record, when Richert notes that the Steelers faced the "prospects of a long, cold winter." Cut to the wintry scene from their home game against Chicago in the snow that not only marked Jerome Bettis' final 100-yard rushing performance, but also the beginning of an improbable eight-game winning streak that produced their fifth Vince Lombardi Trophy in Super Bowl XL.

"I think they had a lot to work with this time," Rooney said of NFL Films. "This is one of the ones people will be watching for many years. My son knows about all of our old Super Bowls because he watched the videos. It's going to be one of those things where his kids will be learning about this team."