Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,528 Times in 2,676 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Haley, Steelers are rushing to make a point

Todd Haley has heard plenty about needing to run the ball more since being hired as Steelers offensive coordinator six months ago.
While agreeing with the premise, Haley would rather focus on something more precise than simply needing to call more runs.

Haley is adamant the Steelers run the ball better in the most critical situations — when the opposition knows they will.

“That’s the name of the game offensively,” Haley said. “You need to be able to get the yards that you need on the ground when the defense knows you are running, wherever that falls in the game — if it is a critical short-yardage or if it is a four-minute situation.”

That’s what Haley hopes to see starting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, when the Steelers open the preseason against Philadelphia at Lincoln Financial Field.

The Steelers weren’t able to run when they wanted last season, which led to an offense ranking in the bottom third in scoring.

It was partly because former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians fancied passing over running in third-down, short-yardage and four-minute situations. But it also was that the Steelers weren’t very good in those scenarios.

The Steelers faced third-and-2 or less 35 times last season. They ran 19 times (converting 68 percent) and passed 16 times (converting 50 percent).

When the situation was third-and-3, the Steelers threw all 19 times (converting 58 percent).

Tackle Max Starks blamed the struggles on the offensive line not getting the job done and Arians’ offensive philosophy.

“At the points they called certain plays, we might not exactly have been prepared for it, or we were expecting something else to be called, or we weren’t physically ready,” Starks said.

“To be honest, we weren’t doing enough before then to make the defense respect the run. If we are passing the entire game, then when four minutes hit and we have to run it, it’s not going to happen.”

The Steelers ran 29 percent of the time on first down last season, down nearly 12 percent from the year before, and ran 42 percent of the time overall (down 15 percent from 2007, Tomlin’s first season).

Haley doesn’t necessarily want to run more than the Steelers did last season but would like to be more balanced to go with being effective in critical run situations.

“We want to be able to run the ball when we have to throw it and throw it when we have to throw it,” Haley said. “That’s really a key in being a successful offense.”

Haley put an emphasis on physicality within the offensive line so the unit would be more prepared for situations like short yardage and the final four minutes of the game.

“Anytime the defense knows you are going to pound the ball and you are successful, that kind of takes away their heartbeat,” guard Willie Colon.

“That’s what we want to do better this year, and we will do better this year.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ituations-ball

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,479 Times in 3,946 Posts
Default Re: Haley, Steelers are rushing to make a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
The Steelers faced third-and-2 or less 35 times last season. They ran 19 times (converting 68 percent) and passed 16 times (converting 50 percent).

68%>50%= simple

When the situation was third-and-3, the Steelers threw all 19 times (converting 58 percent).

other teams watch and chart film. part of an offensive coordinators job is to do the same and self scout, or ATLEAST have a quality control assistant do it. = Arians wasnt doing his job.

Tackle Max Starks blamed the struggles on the offensive line not getting the job done and Arians’ offensive philosophy.

HATER!

“At the points they called certain plays, we might not exactly have been prepared for it, or we were expecting something else to be called,

“To be honest, we weren’t doing enough before then to make the defense respect the run. If we are passing the entire game, then when four minutes hit and we have to run it, it’s not going to happen.”

The Steelers ran 29 percent of the time on first down last season, down nearly 12 percent from the year before, and ran 42 percent of the time overall (down 15 percent from 2007, Tomlin’s first season).

When the Steelers DID run on first down they gained over 5 yards per carry.

Haley put an emphasis on physicality within the offensive line so the unit would be more prepared for situations like short yardage and the final four minutes of the game.

"We're talking about practice, man... PRACTICE"

“Anytime the defense knows you are going to pound the ball and you are successful, that kind of takes away their heartbeat,” guard Willie Colon.

“That’s what we want to do better this year, and we will do better this year.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ituations-ball
i cant wait to see a competent, explosive, and legitimate offense this year that isnt constantly tripping over their own dicks.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,723 Times in 2,127 Posts

So glad the colts have to deal with the arians ineptitude and not us.

Of course it all could have been due to lack of execution.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 08-09-2012 at 10:56 AM.
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,077 Posts
My Mood: Fine

to paraphrase the Airhead approach when asked about the running game and running backs:

"I'll start running the ball when they prove to me they can."

Well Airhead, when you aren't even letting them practice it, its not gonna come out so hot during the game. Of course, that isn't your fault - they didn't practice it because they couldn't prove to you they could. Or wait, wasn't it that you just wouldn't practice it?

Quite the wordsmith Arians. And quite the finger pointer.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post

]
What? Starks didnt think the offense ran enough?? That makes Joe Greene, Art Rooney, Polamalu, Willie Parker, Mendenhall and countless others that didnt think the run game was used enough to make teams respect it???

But, but, but ......."this is a passing league", this aint your dads steelers team, 3 yards and a cloud of dust Cowherball. Why do so many fans not understand that you need to be able to run the ball in the game of football.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
So glad the colts have to deal with the arians ineptitude and not us.

Of course it all could have been due to lack of execution.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What? Starks didnt think the offense ran enough?? That makes Joe Greene, Art Rooney, Polamalu, Willie Parker, Mendenhall and countless others that didnt think the run game was used enough to make teams respect it???

But, but, but ......."this is a passing league", this aint your dads steelers team, 3 yards and a cloud of dust Cowherball. Why do so many fans not understand that you need to be able to run the ball in the game of football.
Might have something to do with the fact the team that was dead last in rushing won the Super Bowl.

I don't think anyone is saying "don't run the ball." Just don't run the ball because you feel like you have to in order to please the fans stuck in the 70's. Quality is more important that quantity when running.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Cynical

Haley is adamant the Steelers run the ball better in the most critical situations — when the opposition knows they will.

This is it! You know, I love running the ball, I loved the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Mostly I loved running the ball, the other team knew we were going to run, and they couldn't do anything about it.

But hat is all a personal thing and I realize it is not the only way to win, as the Steelers were able to show with Arians (mostly). I do not insist that we run 80% of the time. In fact I was fine with the balance we had last year. But MF-er if we needed two yards, we had/chose to line up in shotgun. If you can't line 'em up and at least make it look like you MIGHT run, get off the freakin' field. Arians fit the golf cliché, drive for show, putt for dough. Our short game has SUCKED for at least 5 years.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,398 Times in 3,085 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

tonight should be good for both teams. philly can't ever stop the run and prolly made it their #1 priority on defense to stop the run. and the steelers want to run better so we're gonna dial up some running plays
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,398 Times in 3,085 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
"We're talking about practice, man... PRACTICE"
not the game, not the game that i play every one like it's my last, we talkin bout practice, man.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote