Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,541 Times in 3,761 Posts
Default New York Times 2012 Steelers Preview

Rave review for the 2012 Steelers in this New York Times preview - some excerpts below

This past off-season gave us a smorgasbord of examples of why the Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the finest organizations in professional sports....

OFFENSE

Three years ago, Haley probably couldn’t have worked with Ben Roethlisberger....

Roethlisberger is different today. He is a much smarter and more fundamentally sound quarterback. He recognizes defenses better before the snap and thus is more willing to make timing-based throws within the structure of the offense. Yes, of course, he’s often a sandlot quarterback. That’s his style, and he should keep it until the day he can no longer move around (which, remarkably, does not appear to be on the horizon, despite the myriad hits and injuries he has sustained). But Roethlisberger is no longer only a sandlot quarterback, which is why the Steelers felt comfortable replacing his easygoing coach, Bruce Arians, with the more controlling but innovative Haley....

People tend to think of Wallace as the No. 1 target because his long-striding speed and acceleration put fear in defensive backs. But the 26-year-old receiver has not progressed enough as a route runner. ... Brown is actually the Steelers’ best receiver.

DEFENSE

It’s too bad that Ike Taylor had what may have been the worst game of his career on the big stage against Tebow; the 10-year veteran is really one of the best all-around defensive players in the N.F.L....

Consider the low turnover count an aberration, perhaps caused by injuries at outside linebacker (LaMarr Woodley missed six games and James Harrison five games, one because of a suspension). That took some of the edge off this normally ferocious pass rush. If Woodley and Harrison are healthy, this defense will be fine

BOTTOM LINE

The offensive line should make a big leap over the course of 2012. That could make the offense as a whole borderline unstoppable. And this for a team that should again have one of the league’s stingiest defenses.

Predicted Finish: 1st A.F.C. North, Super Bowl appearance

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ew/?ref=sports

As this preview notes, injuries are always a factor - the Harrison news is troubling
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
drucifer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9518
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: New York Times 2012 Steelers Preview

Wait a minute. waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait

What I just read there, was that a positive outlook? IS THIS OPPOSITE DAY?!

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO TELL ME IF THIS IS OPPOSITE DAY BECAUSE I HAVEN'T BEEN DOING IT
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Well that's certainly opposite of what the NFL Network thinks of the Steelers. Apparently they dropped to places in their power rankings. Here's what they had to say about yinz Stillers ranked at 13:

Quote:
Boy, Dick LeBeau is going to have to do one of his best coaching jobs ever this season. Rule changes have already caused the middle of the field to be gravy for tight ends across the league. Troy Polamalu can be a liability in coverage, while the jury is out on safety Ryan Clark at this stage of his career. Meanwhile, 10-year veteran Larry Foote isn't exactly posting the kind of Darrell Green-esque times necessary to keep up with athletic tight ends from his inside linebacker spot. Todd Haley had better give this team three touchdowns and a Shaun Suisham chip shot each Sunday if Pittsburgh hopes to play in the postseason.
Hard to blame him for questioning the defense.... we hardly saw them on the field.

On the other hand, those Iggles are called "contenders":

Quote:
Nice to see (and hear) Eagles fans show outward support for Andy Reid. Rarely in the 92-year history of the NFL has such a successful head coach been so frequently maligned, even by his own fans. The bottom line: Reid is 126-81-1 (Donovan McNabb didn't know ties existed before that one). The second bottom line: Philly is in contention once again. Five NFC Championship Games, a Super Bowl and continuity mean something ... even in today's NFL.
Hey, acid is a hell of a drug.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...P11_hot_topics
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

"Hard to blame him for questioning the defense.... we hardly saw them on the field."

Damn near sprayed Coke all over my monitor!

wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,474 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO TELL ME IF THIS IS OPPOSITE DAY BECAUSE I HAVEN'T BEEN DOING IT
OLD AND SLOW, THEY WILL BATTLE THE BROWNS FOR LAST PLACE AND GO 3-13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Wow. The NYT actually got something right. Well, you know what they say about broken clocks stil being right twice a day....
Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post

You consider that POSITIVE?!?!?! Didn't you read the last line? It said Super Bowl "appearance" not "champions". This has to be the most negative article I've ever read!!!!! What the hell???