Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,999
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 747
Thanked 5,541 Times in 2,683 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default 1974 Steelers

On NFL Network right now
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,250
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,578
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Followed by the 1975 (my personal favorite) and 1978 Steelers America's Game videos at 9 and 10

Thanks for reminding me this is on
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Sharkissle29
Team President
 
Sharkissle29's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 2,188
Gender: Male
Member Number: 910
Thanks: 226
Thanked 169 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Have all 3 DVR'd
__________________
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
FrancoLambert
Team President
 
FrancoLambert's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: tony soprano's neighborhood
Posts: 2,079
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20827
Thanks: 2,068
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

The Steel Curtain. Consistent pressure from 4 down linemen.
Greene, Greenwood, White, and Holmes were beasts.
I always loved Holmes' sick grin. Can only imagine what he said during a game.
Mike Wagner's description of him has always stuck with me, "I think he truly enjoyed hurting people."
Thanks for the great memories!
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 70
Member Number: 21191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
On NFL Network right now
Here's the part to reflect on while watching the 1974 Steelers win it all: That team dominated, but almost amazingly, was still loaded with four rookie future hall of famers and a future all-pro, Donnie Shell, who played special teams that year.

As a kid, I still vividly remember the post-game interview in the locker room with Mr. Rooney, and Chuck Noll. They were all huddled around a small locker room with then commissioner Rozelle presenting the Lombardi trophy. At one point, the announcer leaned the mike over to the ever stoic Chuck Noll, and asked him what do you aim for now that your team has won it all? Everyone probably expected a stock answer of well, we'll try our best next year; or whatever; but Noll took little time responding with a clear, almost ominous tone to the rest of the NFL and said simply, "This team has not yet peaked."
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,250
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,578
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Mike Wagner's description of him has always stuck with me, "I think he truly enjoyed hurting people."
Thanks for the great memories!
"I think he wanted to beat people to death -- within the rules of the game,"
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
FrancoLambert
Team President
 
FrancoLambert's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: tony soprano's neighborhood
Posts: 2,079
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20827
Thanks: 2,068
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
"I think he wanted to beat people to death -- within the rules of the game,"
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
rich4eagle
Starter
 
rich4eagle's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 505
Gender: Male
Member Number: 399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Super Steelers 70's the ever in the NFL
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
4xSBChamps
Head Coach
 
4xSBChamps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: formerly PRR milepost 322
Posts: 1,978
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1911
Thanks: 3
Thanked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbelieve View Post
Here's the part to reflect on while watching the 1974 Steelers win it all: That team dominated, but almost amazingly, was still loaded with four rookie future hall of famers and a future all-pro, Donnie Shell, who played special teams that year.

As a kid, I still vividly remember the post-game interview in the locker room with Mr. Rooney, and Chuck Noll. They were all huddled around a small locker room with then commissioner Rozelle presenting the Lombardi trophy.
as I recall, the Chief held-aloft the Lombardi Trophy, then passed it around the room, but he clutched the game-ball, awarded to him by Andy Russell, for dear-life

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbelieve View Post
At one point, the announcer leaned the mike over to the ever stoic Chuck Noll, and asked him what do you aim for now that your team has won it all? Everyone probably expected a stock answer of well, we'll try our best next year; or whatever; but Noll took little time responding with a clear, almost ominous tone to the rest of the NFL and said simply, "This team has not yet peaked."
again, going strictly from memory, I believe Noll said 'you ain't seen nothin'-yet', a popular Bachmann-Turner Overdrive, released late in the 1974 season:
I often wonder how-surprised some of the players were to know that Noll was aware of that song
__________________
"If I could start my life all-over again, I would be a professional football-player, and you damn-well better-believe I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler!"
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 70
Member Number: 21191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 1974 Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
as I recall, the Chief held-aloft the Lombardi Trophy, then passed it around the room, but he clutched the game-ball, awarded to him by Andy Russell, for dear-life



again, going strictly from memory, I believe Noll said 'you ain't seen nothin'-yet', a popular Bachmann-Turner Overdrive, released late in the 1974 season:
I often wonder how-surprised some of the players were to know that Noll was aware of that song
lol, well, I guess our respective memories are a little bit different on this subject; but, hey, they say memory is the second thing that goes........
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts