Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Re: Wexell reports Mendenhall looked "fantastic" at Mondays practice

Great - maybe he can convert to linebacker
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,456 Times in 3,111 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
People can dislike Mendy all they want.

Other than Rainey, who else at the RB spot won't get caught from behind when they get to the second level? Batch, Redman..neither are home run guys. Mendy is a home run guy. Hope he can come back this year and stay healthy.
Dwyer, not as fast as mendy but still enough speed to break long gainers
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,579 Times in 5,191 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Steelers Notebook: Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall might play in opener

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
September 4, 2012

The Steelers sustained numerous major injuries at the end of last season, have a lengthy PUP list, nasty-looking injuries in preseason games and one very prominent and lengthy holdout.

Yet here they are, five days before the season opener, and coach Mike Tomlin has only ruled out two players for injury-related reasons for the Sunday night game at Denver.

Rookie G David DeCastro (knee) and reserve LB Stevenson Sylvester (knee) will not play against the Broncos, Tomlin said Tuesday. Tomlin also said starting FS Ryan Clark will be held out of the game, as expected, because he has the sickle cell trait in his blood that is exacerbated by high altitude.

Tomlin wouldn't rule out LB James Harrison (knee), LB Jason Worilds (wrist), RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) and RB Isaac Redman (ankle) after each of them made it through practice -- to varying degrees -- Monday.

"Some of those guys... are closer to returning than others, but we are going to monitor their progress and make the decision as we push forward through the week," Tomlin said. "We will base our determination on how they respond to the work."

It would be shocking if Mendenhall played. He is recovering from tearing his right ACL in the regular season finale Jan. 1 in Cleveland, came off the PUP list late in camp and did not appear in any preseason games.

Of course, neither have Worilds and Harrison, who were eligible to practice for the first time Monday. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette tweeted that Harrison gave a thumbs-up when asked how his knee responded to the workout 24 hours later.

Specifically speaking about Harrison, Tomlin said, "The issue is just whether or not he gets a clean bill of health from our medical staff. He has to this point in terms of being able to practice. We'll see how his body responds to that work and let that be a determinant about how we move forward."

Redman was anointed the starter in Mendenhall's stead but has had an injury-riddled preseason that included a groin/hip injury before the ankle ailment. He did not practice Monday.

Dwyer on Tomlin's good side: If Redman is limited, expect to see more of RB Jonathan Dwyer. Dwyer reported to camp in better shape than he had in his previous two seasons and has been virtually the only Steelers running back to avoid any question of health over the past six weeks.

"He's a young man that I believe is maturing," Tomlin said. "There's a certain level of growth and maturity from a personal standpoint. The more obvious observation is that he is in better physical condition than he has been in the past."

Hampton no longer a concern? Throughout training camp, even as he wasn't practicing and even as another injury (left elbow) crept up, NT Casey Hampton assured anyone that would listen that he would be fine.

Less than eight months after tearing the ACL in his left knee, apparently Hampton is.

"He participated, and he participated in an above-the-line fashion in the last preseason game," Tomlin said in response to why Hampton wasn't listed among his injured players. "We haven't looked back with Casey."

Wallace's first practice "pretty productive": Tomlin was pleased with how WR Mike Wallace looked Monday in his first practice since ending his holdout last week.

"I was generally positively impressed with his general, overall understanding of what it is he needs to do," Tomlin said. "No. 2, I think he displayed a decent level of overall physical conditioning. Obviously, that practice setting and that limited practice setting is not football games; it is not a hostile environment, it's not NFL stadiums, so we'll temper that excitement."

When asked if Wallace has a chance to start Sunday, Tomlin said, "I didn't see anything yesterday that would lead me to believe that's not a possibility."

Lewis, Allen both draw praise from Tomlin: Tomlin refused to come out and say it, but CB Keenan Lewis earned the starting spot vacated by William Gay's departure via free agency. But Lewis' primary competition for the job, CB Cortez Allen, also showed he was capable of handling the duty.

In today's NFL, both players will play extensively. Tomlin had kind words to say about the development of both the fourth-year Lewis and the second-year Allen.

Tomlin said Lewis looks the best he's seen him. "He's done a nice job here in this preseason in working and playing good, sound, technical football," Tomlin said.

Tomlin said Allen "has grown by leaps and bounds."

Makin' it Rainey on returns: Tomlin confirmed what the team's official depth chart told us about RB Chris Rainey -- that he is the Steelers' primary punt and kick retainer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...play-in-opener
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #24
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

I'm in the camp that the horrible OC made Mendy look bad, and is why he had to dance so much. I too hope he doesn't come back too soon. I like a healthy Redman and Mendy, and if they are both healthy and have an OC not trying to get them killed plus Ben, and the receivers we have--what does a defense cover? Crowd the line we go over your head. Play back we march it on down on 1st downs. Walk around and don't declare we mix it up and come at you. Yep, it could be a good year to be a Steelers fan. No wait, it's always a good year to be a Steelers fan. This could be a great year to be a Steelers fan.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,579 Times in 5,191 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
No wait, it's always a good year to be a Steelers fan.

Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #26
BowCatShot
Banned

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

Great news, and its good to see more fans appreciating what he brings to the backfield.
Breakaway speed and power.......a nice combination of both.
The "dancing" label is just that.....most can be attributed to an ineffective O-line.
This may be the year when our offense is very capable of bailing out our D on a consistent basis whether it be due to injury or performance.
Frankly, I never saw the breakaway speed that you're referring to. When he did manage to stumble into the clear it seems to me that he was always easily run down and tackled from behind. Hopefully I'm wrong and I, coincidentally, was always going to the fridge for another beer when he did his dazzling. We'll see.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Falcons and Saints games in 2010?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #28
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Don't expect Mendenhall to play at all. This is likely gamesmanship from the Steelers - making the Broncos prepare for potentially 5 different RBs. He may dress and take warm ups, but I doubt he plays.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Wow, indeed.

As far as dancing goes... you & I have discussed this ad nauseum. [I prefer Ray Rice... yadda-yadda-yadda... neither of us convincing the other.] THAT SAID, I just hope that he doesn't try to come back too quickly.

Cut.. pop... end of career. I really would rather he sit until November (against the Ravens-Bengals-Ravens).
I like Ray Rice as a RB, I just think those that criticize Mendenhall as "dancing too much" are as biased as the group that say "Arians threw bubble screens on 3rd down all the time".

Mendenhall is a cutback runner that is patient in picking a hole. When the Steelers O lines of the past had opened no holes.....he eventually gets tackled plowing into the line or from behind.

I would be concerned if he came back too soon, but think if he has a FB lead or a better O- line scheme of blocking, that he will have a great year. Loss of DeCastro hurts more than we like to think.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,319 Posts

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...all-highlights

This game shows it all. Todd Haley really hopes he can have this guy back soon.