Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305
Default Re: Rookie adds new dimension.....

and the fact that Holmes ran past Ike a good five yards surprises anyone ?

I bet you this ... the Steelers would really love to have Holmes going one on one against Taylor as much as possible before giving taylor a contract. Maybve after Holmes burned him all summer then Taylor's agent would be taking what the Steelers were offering. I am skeptical about giving this guy a long term deal at a stupid price and then have him end up like C. Scott and make the same mistake again.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

There is a HUGE difference between Scott and Ike. When the Steelers made Chad Scott the highest paid Steeler in history, they were rewarding him for past service, and not so much paying for what he was going to be worth on the field for the next few years. Taylor is a guy who's best years are ahead of him.

No offense, but when one guy who runs a 4.3 runs past another guy who runs a 4.3 at minicamp, it means just about nothing.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #13
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07

I bet you this ... the Steelers would really love to have Holmes going one on one against Taylor as much as possible before giving taylor a contract. Maybve after Holmes burned him all summer then Taylor's agent would be taking what the Steelers were offering. I am skeptical about giving this guy a long term deal at a stupid price and then have him end up like C. Scott and make the same mistake again.
Very good points. We did get burned by resigning Chad Scott and DeWayne Washington. But I will say this. Its just mini camp so before we sour on Ike. It is still just mini camp. Ike did very well last year going against the likes of CJ. Maybe Ike heard the talk about how fast Holmes was and didn't believe all the talk until Holmes beat him. I'm sure Ike knows all about Holmes now. I'm with you the Steelers should be smart about the money they give Ike. But Ike Taylor has just tapped into his potential. We started seeing some of that untapped potential last year. The sky is the limit for Ike.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
There is a HUGE difference between Scott and Ike. When the Steelers made Chad Scott the highest paid Steeler in history, they were rewarding him for past service, and not so much paying for what he was going to be worth on the field for the next few years. Taylor is a guy who's best years are ahead of him.

No offense, but when one guy who runs a 4.3 runs past another guy who runs a 4.3 at minicamp, it means just about nothing.
I agree with on you on both accounts. They did reward Scott for past service. Ike has just started tapping into the untapped potential he has had since the Steelers drafted him. Plus it was just mini camp. Who cares if Holmes beat Ike. I'm sure Ben has his share of ugly passes during mini camp and practice. If you hear Cowher and some of the Steelers talk that Ben looks terrible at times in practice. Its what you do on gameday that counts. So I'm not down on Ike at all. Steelers should look into resigning Ike long term. But I do agree that the Steelers should be smart about it.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

At camp last year, at least the day I was there, Batch and Maddox were competing to be the best QB's on the field, and Ben looked lost...and that was at TRAINING camp.

Too early to tell anything.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #16
nwksteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2304

Holmes has exceptional speed and the fact that he was able to beat Ike is a great sign that he will be a very tough cover for dbs at this level, speed kills. I wouldn't be to worried about Ike he is also a burner and may have been surprised by the speed of Holmes. Battling each other will only make the both of them better.
nwksteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07

Wouldn't hurt. Especially since Ike is one of our best players in the Defensive back field along with Porter and Troy. We also need to get a new contract to Troy to don't forget.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote