Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #31
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: 331 Yards Of Offense, 27 Points.

Fair post, if most will look at it that way. I like the way we are headed also, just cautioning against a post game win high. We still have a ton of work to do to have a decent run game. I believe the run can help the pass, and vice versa. I am anxious to see how Mendy looks compared to Redd and Dwyer. I am even more anxious to see how Decastro would help this line. I would like to see us open it up some more as Ben and the Receivers, Backs, And TE's become more comfortable in the new scheme. I am hoping that JHs return has an impact on the Defense also. Sanchez is a middle of the league QB and he did not look good beyond the first quarter, but we play alot of good Qbs this season and it remains to be seen if our secondary can hold up without some pressure put on opposing QBs.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #32
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,571 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers Notebook: Running game remains just a bit out of step

September 17, 2012
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers improved to 1-1 after their 27-10 victory against the New York Jets Sunday at Heinz Field, but after two games they're still searching for a running game.

After rushing for 75 yards on 26 carries in the opening-week loss at Denver, the Steelers rushed for just 66 yards on 28 carries against the Jets.

The Steelers are averaging just 2.6 yards per carry this season. The leading rusher Sunday was Jonathan Dwyer, who had 28 yards on 12 carries.

The Steelers had six negative run plays, including four on their first two drives when they settled for field goals.

"I take some responsibility for that," said Willie Colon, the starting left guard who is making the transition after playing right tackle for the past six years. "I wasn't clean on a lot of my pulls. We have to be a lot more efficient mechanically up front. Those are all things that will come."

The alarming aspect of those negative yardage plays was the amount of yardage lost. Isaac Redman was tackled for a 7-yard loss on the second play from scrimmage. Later in the drive on second-and-four, he was tackled for a 3-yard loss. The Steelers had to settle for a field goal.

In the third quarter, Dwyer was tackled for a 6-yard loss on second-and-10. That play did not hurt the Steelers because quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw a 37-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on third-and-16 to make the score 20-10.

The line did go out on a high note when the offense possessed the ball for a 14-play, 75-yard drive that ate up 10:13 in the fourth quarter. That drive culminated with a Redman 2-yard touchdown run that made the score 27-10.

On that drive the running backs accounted for 29 yards, nearly half of the game's total rushing yards.

"When it came down to it the offensive line played a good game," Dwyer said. "We had some big plays in the passing game that helped us have holes. At the end of the day, that's when it counts. You want to close the game out. We made it count. We stepped up to the challenge."

Milestone for Ben

Roethlisberger became the second quarterback in franchise history to throw for 27,000 yards, joining Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, who finished his career with 27,989. With his 275 yards passing Sunday, Roethlisberger has thrown for 27,099 career yards. Roethlisberger went over the 27,000 threshold on the 37-yard touchdown pass to Wallace.

"It's an awesome honor with this franchise's storied history and tradition," Roethlisberger said. "It is humbling, and I have to thank all of the guys who caught balls for me. There are too many to name, but I thank them all along with the line. It's neat, but to me winning the game is the bigger deal."

An early-season trend in new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's offense has been Roethlisberger spreading the wealth among his receivers. He completed passes to 10 players Sunday. Antonio Brown led the team with seven catches for 79 yards and Wallace had five for 74.

Eight players caught passes from Roethlisberger against Denver.

"You have to get used to that," Wallace said. "Sometimes you're so used to getting all the targets. You just have to keep your head in the game. We have so many good players. It's hard for everyone to get the ball.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz26nCR8Bid
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #33
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

While the running game may not be in full gear, yet, there were some glimpses of effectiveness. Staying with the running game keeps offenses honest and opens up Ben for some incredible play-action passes. It also clearly wore down the Jets' defense towards the end when it finally worked. We have a severely diminished O-line (as usual) and that definitely has an effect on the efficieny of the run. I also liked some of the tricky plays that were called. Even though they didn't work at the time, it kept the defense guessing. We were able to put away the game with the run; something clearly lacking in the Arian years.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #34
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I think right now, they are using the running game merely as a change of pace and to minimize the number of hits that Ben is taking. And it is working.

Under both coordinators, we found ourselves in a lot of 3rd and longs, but the difference right now, is that the RBs are taking some of those hits for Ben on 1st and 2nd down, whereas before, those were QB hurries, hits, and sacks.

We are still primarily a passing offense, but Haley is using the ground game effectively to keep the defenses honest, and to wear them out.

The stat sheet will never show what the Steelers running game did to the Jets on Sunday, but watching the tape, they were gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter, having to stop Redman consistently, while dealing with what Ben can bring. While our running game managed a paltry 2.5 ypc, the Jets' defense looked like it wanted to have no part of dealing with Redman anymore by the end of the 4th quarter.

I like what I am seeing, and this offense is only going to get better. The Oline is STARTING to gel, Haley is starting to get comfortable with what he has to work with, and he is showing a dedication to running the ball, even if it is not burning off 30 yarders.

Exactly, the run game was used to kill the will of the defense. Had they been behind they would have have had that option though, a 2.4 YPC will force you to pass when behind, when in front with bruising backs it's ok.

Haley is light years ahead of BA, I didn't like the slow developing run plays, they make no sense with a poor o-line, but he's looking after Ben better, and the bubble screen 5 times a game is dead.

We're going to win THROWING THE BALL, but if we can get 80-100 yards at 3.-3.5 YPC we're a top 5 offense.

We've been awesome on 3rd down.

The weapons we have are as good as anyone in the league. The 3 WR's, plus a steady 4th option, Heath Miller, and a stable of four backs, one of which has not played yet, and Rainey who has a ton of speed gives us a ton of options.

Any OFF-CO should be creaming his pants.

If we could just be an average o-line this offense would fly.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote