Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #31
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Re: Time to stick a fork in Polamalu and Harrison

Yeah I think they are both basically DONE, as we have come to know them - game changers. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see them playing full seasons for the Steelers ever again.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #32
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

When it comes to 34 OLBs I would rank Harrison second in the league behind D Ware. Aaron Smith hung around for 3 seasons injured and isnt the force Debo is. In 4 years Polamalu will still be better than half the SS in the league. I think he has the best intuition of any defender all time it is unreal. They might restructure but I think both will be around for at least another 2 seasons.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #33
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

this thread might as well be merged with the "ike taylor sucks" thread.

some people in this thread think you just pluck guys like harrison, bettis, ward, and polamalu of trees.

[YOUTUBE]cVDI4HvgvSM[/YOUTUBE]

minus the ticket oak commercial, this thread pretty much sucks just as bad.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #34
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,459 Times in 4,031 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Harrison, Polamalu still questionable for Steelers

By WILL GRAVES (AP Sports Writer)

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Mike Tomlin still isn't sure when injured defensive stars James Harrison or Troy Polamalu are going to be healthy enough to play.

The Pittsburgh Steelers coach isn't against amending one of his longtime rules either, if it means one or both of his perennial All-Pros will be on the field in Oakland on Sunday.

Harrison, who is recovering from right knee surgery, and Polamalu, who is dealing with a strained right calf, will have informal workouts this week.

Tomlin hinted Tuesday that neither veteran would have to practice to face the Raiders (0-2). Traditionally Tomlin likes his players to get at least one day of training in during the week leading up to a game before letting them loose on Sunday.

He's willing to make an exception, however, for two cornerstones of Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.

''I handle all of those situations really on a case-by-case basis,'' Tomlin said, ''with the understanding that the younger you are, the more inexperienced you are, the more practices are necessary before I consider utilizing you.''

Meaning the well-established Harrison or Polamalu might not have to see the practice field. Harrison hasn't played since a playoff loss in Denver nine months ago, while Polamalu's calf didn't respond quickly to treatment last week after sustaining the injury in a season-opening loss to the Broncos.

The duo was hardly needed in a 27-10 romp over the New York Jets on Sunday. The Steelers (1-1) shut down New York in the second half, holding the Jets to just 91 yards over the final two quarters to win going away.

Tomlin insisted, however, his team was far from perfect. Pittsburgh struggled to run the ball, finishing with just 66 yards on 28 carries. Through two weeks, the Steelers are ranked 30th in the league in rushing yards.

While he was pleased the Steelers were able to run effectively on a game-clinching fourth-quarter touchdown drive, Tomlin believes there's more work to be done.

''That's not what I'm looking for,'' he said. ''I'm actually looking for better than that.''

Help could come in Oakland. Running back Rashard Mendenhall is inching closer to returning after January surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee. Mendenhall has practiced in each of the last two weeks and could see an even heavier workload in the next few days.

''Maybe we will bump him around a little more in practice this week,'' Tomlin said. ''He has done a nice job of running and cutting at full speed. Now, let's see if he can play a little football.''

The Steelers may need Mendenhall sooner rather than later now that backup Jonathan Dwyer is dealing with turf toe. Dwyer has been a pleasant surprise through two games, providing what little spark the running game has seen and proving to be nimble catching passes out of the backfield.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/harriso...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3
Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
steelfan23

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Clueless.  Good approach to a discussion.  

I'll continue WITHOUT the sophomoric name-calling.  

Obviously, I could be wrong (all I have is my memory, which isn't what it used to be), but I usually know what I'm talking about... and I'd hardly say that I'm clueless.  

Anyway... having watched nearly three years of his games, week in & week out, in college:  he was great, but deemed too slow.  Before the draft, due to this "too slow" label,  I remember that I was happy that he might fall, since the Steelers were picking late.  The two safeties that I was looking at were Troy & Asomugha... because both were graded as late round-one talents.  I hoped that Troy would fall, but was thinking that Asomugha would be the more "realistic" pick.  

And then, the Steelers traded up... and I nearly p*ssed myself with excitement.  

Again, my "memory" is not what it used to be... and I very well could be wrong... 
I apologize for the 'sophmoric' comments. But there are opinions and then there are facts. You opine as if they are facts and that makes it a clueless statement. You ARE dead wrong as he DID run a 4.35 forty at his combine and is considered as far as I know one of the fastest safeties (at least with talent) that has ever come around. Saying he is slow or was deemed slow is just wrong because it's not true in the slightest. So that is why I felt the need to correct you. But instead of just googling the topic and finding out for yourself you say you 'may' be wrong and continue the discussion which could have been handled by finding the truth out and saying 'my bad, I stand corrected'. Not a big deal but bears repeating. When you state things as fact when it's really just your opinion you may rub people the wrong way. Truce!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,969 Times in 7,592 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan23 View Post
I apologize for the 'sophmoric' comments. But there are opinions and then there are facts. You opine as if they are facts and that makes it a clueless statement. You ARE dead wrong as he DID run a 4.35 forty at his combine and is considered as far as I know one of the fastest safeties (at least with talent) that has ever come around. Saying he is slow or was deemed slow is just wrong because it's not true in the slightest. So that is why I felt the need to correct you. But instead of just googling the topic and finding out for yourself you say you 'may' be wrong and continue the discussion which could have been handled by finding the truth out and saying 'my bad, I stand corrected'. Not a big deal but bears repeating. When you state things as fact when it's really just your opinion you may rub people the wrong way. Truce!
1. I was wrong... my bad, I stand corrected... his forty time is listed as 4.33.

1-a. Forty time or not, the "experts" (the Mel Kiper, Jr. types) deemed him to be slow.

1-b. Q: When did I ever claim to know what his forty time was or not?

2. You act as if I attacked you personally. Why? In a thread bashing Troy, I was merely adding my two cents (i.e. that Troy's main asset is brain). I was trying to defend a player who I feel still has his main asset (his brain). Peyton's arm is not what it used to be; Troy's explosiveness is not what it used to be; but, they both have their brains.

2-a. Do you go through the threads, finding every single mis-quoted "fact" and call other posters clueless? Just wondering. Because, I am sure that if you read through this thread, there are other "facts vs. opinions" that you could find that are erroneous. Are you going to spend the rest of the day posting to these people about how clueless they are, as well... or, is it just me that you are targeting? Thus, again, you act as though I attacked you personally... why?

Again, I was wrong, Troy is slower than he used to be.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #37
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Relaxed

Who knows about the future. Every year I hear about how Troy is a workout dynamo in the offseason. But he ends up with stupid things like calf injuries that take him out every year for multiple games. It is just disheartening when your star players can't seem to stay on the field. I am not surprised Harrison is always hurt. The way he plays his knees and back have to take a beating. He pretty much does the same thing on every play when he rushes the QB. And the big a $ $ left tackle leans on him on every single play putting pressure on his knees and back. Year after year of that takes its toll. I really wish he would learn a Freeney like spin move and go inside the tackle once in awhile to change it up a little bit.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #38
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan23 View Post
I will try to be polite when I say this...dude you are clueless. Troy was very fast. He fell in the draft slightly due to team needs and also an injury that forced him to miss Senior Bowl and combine. He did have a pro day where he ran a 4.35 forty and had a 43 inch verticle. That is sick athleticism. I doubt there has ever been a faster safety. So you are kinda talking out your butt. Even then he was considered less than stellar in coverage and someone who took risks and bad angles. This has not been disproven up to this point. It's just his speed, quickness, and like you said, intelligence that has made him so successful. I don't think he even runs sub 4.5 now and that is a huge difference. It causes him to cheat a little more and he can be made to look foolish like he did vs. GB in the SB. He is all done. Great player. But he needed a couple of more dominant years to be a shoo in HOF. Now, not so sure. If we had one great corner and a serviceable 2nd CB then he would look so much better but his days of being able to compensate for poor CB play are over.
I like Troy.

That said, I have to agree with most of what Steelfan23 wrote.

Troy can blow up plays, he has an incredible ability to do some amazingly athletic things and he has certainly made more than a few game-changing plays, but I still have no real sense of exactly what his purpose is on the field.

For all his speed and quickness, I think he either overruns a play or misses tackles far more often than most other "slower" safeties in the league. He DOES tend to take bad angles (which contributes to a lot of those missed tackles) and he does take too many risks many of which put him completely out of a play and actually allow an opponent to gain significant yardage.

He's fun to watch, but more in the way that I'd regard watching a juggler or a high-wire act; lots of talent but little practical purpose.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #39
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Why do one of these threads pop up every week. Last week Ike, this week polamalu and harrison.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

i think Troy is still a factor and although he has lost a step, he still makes an impact. Same with harrison when he plays. Both are probably 1-3 years from no longer being a steeler.

the concern is LB after LB has filled in for harrison with no sucess.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote