Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301
Default Re: Thoughts on Haley after week 2?

I just wish someone could teach this team how to run a successful screen to a RB
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,140 Times in 858 Posts

My thoughts off the top of my head? Distinguishing. This offense has the potential to beat any type of defense in many ways. The running game lacks, but this entire landscape of an offense is still being learned. Honestly? I expected these LONG DRIVES OF POSSESSION (if there WERE going to be any) to start happening about mid-season. For these types of drives to be occurring in the first two games in a show-cased new offense, then that's mightily impressive to me. That means the players and coach's are on the same page and our offense is finally being utilized as weapons and not an X or O.

There's tons of things to improve on, like creating running lanes for our backs, OR for our backs to see and hit the hole. Ben looks outstanding and once we get this red-zone efficiency worked upon (TD's were 3/4 in the redzone VS Jets compared to just 2/4 at Denver) then the sky is endless. Truly endless.

We must get better on the road. I have no biffs at home with how any phase of our team plays, but on the road, we tend to cramp up. Go into Oakland, OWN and get accolades and confidence going into the BYE week.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,318 Times in 3,489 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I think our road success will improve if/when we establish some sort of ability to run the football. there's nothing that takes a crowd out of the game quicker than the home crowd seeing the ball stuffed down their defense's throats.

there's just something that's a lot more demoralizing about seeing a team run against you successfully
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,571 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers Notebook: Ben Roethlisberger campaigns for more no-huddle (again)

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
September 19, 2012

Big Ben is a big fan of the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers' quarterback is a fan of calling his own plays, too -- something that he can usually do if the offense isn't huddling.

Subtly, and without saying anything that might offend his coaches, Ben Roethlisberger campaigned once again Wednesday afternoon for running the no-huddle.

Asked why it wasn't used during a win against the Jets this past Sunday after it had been used successfully the week before in a loss to the Broncos, Roethlisberger said the no-huddle was brought up only once during the New York game.

"Right before halftime, coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it," Roethlisberger said. "I was all for it, but we never really got to it."

Roethlisberger also took a veiled shot at fans and observers (maybe even his own owner, Art Rooney II), who champion running the ball more.

"That's (OC Todd) Haley's call," Roethlisberger said when asked why more multiple-receiver sets weren't used Sunday. "He's the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. They saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep you guys and the fans happy, I guess."

If the way Roethlisberger is talking makes it sounds like he would call a pass play on every down, listen to this: A big topic of conversation this week is the alleged predictability of the Steelers' offense, which too often seems to go run-run-pass, respectively, during the three downs of a series.

"That's the key, not being predictable," Roethlisberger said. "That's on coaches to know what our tendencies are on different downs and things like that. We put our faith and trust in them that they'll figure out what we need to do."

It's no secret Roethlisberger had a very close relationship with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and was -- initially, at least -- slow to warm to Haley. Are these subtle shots at him? Here's another quote that involves the quarterback suggesting the team would be better off with Roethlisberger calling the shots than with the coaches calling them.

"It seems like on first and second down, nothing's really happening, and then it's, 'Hey, go make something happen on third down, you guys,'" Roethlisberger said. "We've been able to do that on third downs and make things happen."

More cautious now that he's 30? Having turned 30 and in his ninth season playing a somewhat reckless (albeit remarkably effective) style, conventional wisdom was that Roethlisberger would be more likely to throw a ball away or slide down more quickly or not hold onto the ball so long in an effort to avoid taking hits.

Through two games, it has appeared that way. But Roethlisberger says that's not by design.

"I'm not really trying to do anything different," he said. "It's just the way I'm playing the game. There was no real intention ever to slide and get down or dump the ball off. It's the way I've always played, and if guys are open on the check-downs, I get it to them. I don't really feel like I'm doing anything different."

Roethlisberger on the Greg Schiano-Tom Coughlin kneel-down controversy: "It's tough. I kind of see both sides of it. If I was at quarterback, I wouldn't be happy with it. If it was my defense, I'd say, 'Way to go until the end of the game.' It's hard. You never want to hurt anybody, especially this early in the season. It's not like it's a playoff game and something is going on. There are times when we take a knee at the end of halves and we'll tell the defense that we're taking a knee and everyone backs off. I think at this level that's probably proper etiquette."

Ben's line of the day: In reference to his most recent start in Oakland, a 20-13 loss in which he threw four interceptions a week after being knocked out of a game due to a concussion in October 2006, Roethlisberger said: "All I remember is throwing, like, six or seven picks and it being a crazy, hostile place. That's about it. And losing the game."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...huddle-again--
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Fine

ok, here he says he has faith in the coaches, but is also talking out the other end

I'd like a chance to see Ben and Haley communicate on the sidelines

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers Notebook: Ben Roethlisberger campaigns for more no-huddle (again)

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
September 19, 2012

Big Ben is a big fan of the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers' quarterback is a fan of calling his own plays, too -- something that he can usually do if the offense isn't huddling.

Subtly, and without saying anything that might offend his coaches, Ben Roethlisberger campaigned once again Wednesday afternoon for running the no-huddle.

Asked why it wasn't used during a win against the Jets this past Sunday after it had been used successfully the week before in a loss to the Broncos, Roethlisberger said the no-huddle was brought up only once during the New York game.

"Right before halftime, coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it," Roethlisberger said. "I was all for it, but we never really got to it."

Roethlisberger also took a veiled shot at fans and observers (maybe even his own owner, Art Rooney II), who champion running the ball more.

"That's (OC Todd) Haley's call," Roethlisberger said when asked why more multiple-receiver sets weren't used Sunday. "He's the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. They saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep you guys and the fans happy, I guess."

If the way Roethlisberger is talking makes it sounds like he would call a pass play on every down, listen to this: A big topic of conversation this week is the alleged predictability of the Steelers' offense, which too often seems to go run-run-pass, respectively, during the three downs of a series.

"That's the key, not being predictable," Roethlisberger said. "That's on coaches to know what our tendencies are on different downs and things like that. We put our faith and trust in them that they'll figure out what we need to do."

It's no secret Roethlisberger had a very close relationship with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and was -- initially, at least -- slow to warm to Haley. Are these subtle shots at him? Here's another quote that involves the quarterback suggesting the team would be better off with Roethlisberger calling the shots than with the coaches calling them.

"It seems like on first and second down, nothing's really happening, and then it's, 'Hey, go make something happen on third down, you guys,'" Roethlisberger said. "We've been able to do that on third downs and make things happen."

More cautious now that he's 30? Having turned 30 and in his ninth season playing a somewhat reckless (albeit remarkably effective) style, conventional wisdom was that Roethlisberger would be more likely to throw a ball away or slide down more quickly or not hold onto the ball so long in an effort to avoid taking hits.

Through two games, it has appeared that way. But Roethlisberger says that's not by design.

"I'm not really trying to do anything different," he said. "It's just the way I'm playing the game. There was no real intention ever to slide and get down or dump the ball off. It's the way I've always played, and if guys are open on the check-downs, I get it to them. I don't really feel like I'm doing anything different."

Roethlisberger on the Greg Schiano-Tom Coughlin kneel-down controversy: "It's tough. I kind of see both sides of it. If I was at quarterback, I wouldn't be happy with it. If it was my defense, I'd say, 'Way to go until the end of the game.' It's hard. You never want to hurt anybody, especially this early in the season. It's not like it's a playoff game and something is going on. There are times when we take a knee at the end of halves and we'll tell the defense that we're taking a knee and everyone backs off. I think at this level that's probably proper etiquette."

Ben's line of the day: In reference to his most recent start in Oakland, a 20-13 loss in which he threw four interceptions a week after being knocked out of a game due to a concussion in October 2006, Roethlisberger said: "All I remember is throwing, like, six or seven picks and it being a crazy, hostile place. That's about it. And losing the game."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...huddle-again--
Considering how he has to bail them out 3rd & long because Art is enamored with Granddaddy's style of football, I can't blame him for being a little upset.

Remember, the idea was to keep Ben up-right. Putting him in 3rd & long situations is really tempting fate in that regard. Perhaps they should let Ben do more on first downs, and in turn he'll have to do less on second and third downs.

Nah! Run, run pass! Run, run, sack! Run, run, punt!
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I don't mind a run on first down, but yes, certainly not run for 1 to 2 yard on 1st and 2nd, then crap its already 3rd and 7-10.

I think ultimately, as he said - being unpredictable is key. If they don't know that we're going to pass it on first or second, then things get verrry interesting

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

There needs to be a realization that the Steelers currently do not have the pedigree at the RB position to play the style they want to play. Even when Mendenhall comes back it's probably going to be some time until he's himself again. Who needs to realize this? Tomlin? Haley? Art Rooney II? Until one or all of them come to that realization, the Steelers will be pounding square pegs into round holes.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I really hope they attack that Raider's secondary big time on Sunday. Attack the weaknesses of the team you are playing instead of trying to ram your tired old game plan down their throats come hell or high water. That was why Arians sucked so much. I hope Haley changes things up a bit and isn't predictable. Perhaps he is waiting for the offense to gel and learn the plays better before unleashing hell on the NFL.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote