Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #61
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,910 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Time to stick a fork in Polamalu and Harrison

Regardless of him slowing down due to injury or age, the chess match between him and Peyton in Denver in Wk 1, where Peyton had to stop EVERYTHING because he wanted to see if he could call Troy's bluff says it all - every offense respects him enough to locate him, has he gotten some accolades on reputation alone? Sure - all the great ones have. He has had his share of bad games though. If I may say, I think a lot of Steelers fans are just dying for him to make a splash play - he is "overdue" in that regard.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #62
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Regardless of him slowing down due to injury or age, the chess match between him and Peyton in Denver in Wk 1, where Peyton had to stop EVERYTHING because he wanted to see if he could call Troy's bluff says it all - every offense respects him enough to locate him, has he gotten some accolades on reputation alone? Sure - all the great ones have. He has had his share of bad games though. If I may say, I think a lot of Steelers fans are just dying for him to make a splash play - he is "overdue" in that regard.
One of my many problems with Tomlin as a head coach is his love for splash plays. Our offense under Arians was full of splash plays, but didn't actually do their job--score points and control the football. Last year's defense didn't bother me a bit. They did their job, without any highlight reel moments. The lack of splash plays is why there are so many people who don't appreciate Ike Taylor's coverage skills. They would rather he got blown up half the time as long as he made some interceptions. Personally, I would rather see the team, (Troy and Harrison included), excel at the important things first.
jiminpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #63
steelfan23

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Tell me if I am understanding your points correctly.  In all seriousness, this is what I am reading/this is what is coming across... and I want to see if this what you actually intended to say.  [I don't want to put words in your mouth.]  

1. Troy had two good seasons: 04 & 05.  

2.  Troy had bad years in: 06, 07, & 08.  

3.  Alge Crumpler falling on his knee in 09, and his hamstring (or was it a knee) in 10 had little to do with the downswing in his play, because he was already declining (see point #2).  

4.  His only real asset was his speed, and now that he's slower, he is basically ineffective.  

Again, were these your points?

If so... if all if that is true, I think that your list would actually be even LONGER... no?  

[My list: Eric Berry, Ed Reed, Troy... everyone else.]  
Just for the record:

I don't think Troy has had bad years per se. In fact I would rank him top three safety up until he got hurt before the Super Bowl. In fact wasn't he the D MVP that year? He was exceptional all those years. I think his speed allowed him to get to the spot faster than offense could account for. Especially in the run game. His speed and vertical allowed him to get to some pretty insane INTs as well. Sure he took bad angles and sometimes missed tackles but easily worth it.

Now however, being much slower, he can no longer get by with his athleticism. He is just another guy out there. Hey, maybe he never truly got healthy from that injury. It sure appears that way to me. Seriously, the drop off from a MVP type season to what we got last year and so far this year is dramatic. He obviously should not have rushed back for the SB because he was a liability but we had no one else so I understand. Then with lockout and off the field endeavors maybe he didn't take training as serious. I hope that maybe he just needs the first half of this year to finally get healthy and he can return to his form. Problem there is that he easily looks 5 to 10 lbs overweight (as do Timmons, Woodley) and healthy or not, you can't be elite at that position with added weight.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #64
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,910 Posts
My Mood: Fine

while I agree the important things need to come before any splashy plays, I'll argue that the teams that win it all find a way to make those happen more often than not

I think for us to bring home #7, the turnovers need to start happening more often, especially towards the last quarter of the season. I believe this team will start relying on the offense more, but having more possessions and shorter fields is key

I don't think the defense will be in 08' or in 10' form for the foreseeable future - if they want to be championship caliber, the splash plays have to happen IMO

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #65
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
One of my many problems with Tomlin as a head coach is his love for splash plays. Our offense under Arians was full of splash plays, but didn't actually do their job--score points and control the football. Last year's defense didn't bother me a bit. They did their job, without any highlight reel moments. The lack of splash plays is why there are so many people who don't appreciate Ike Taylor's coverage skills. They would rather he got blown up half the time as long as he made some interceptions. Personally, I would rather see the team, (Troy and Harrison included), excel at the important things first.
Disagree. Turnovers are key in the NFL. Splash plays are important. Sacks, Fumbles, INT's are the most important things a defense can do. We sucked at forcing TO's last year and it cost us games.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #66
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

He's made some incredible, big plays for this team. I don't remember one last year, and the team as a whole didn't force TO's last year.
But remember, the INT in the snow against SD. That was the most insane interception I've ever seen. diving across the field and one handing it in the snow. I didn't believe he caught it until the slow mo replay.
The 08 championship pick 6 against Baltimore to seal the SB trip.
The 10 Baltimore strip of Flacco with 2 minutes to go. That play propelled us to another SB. Without it, we would have been on the road as a wildcard.

There are many more, but I think we'll get 1 or 2 more big plays out of him this year. He has a nose for the ball and he's not quite done yet.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #67
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,028 Times in 1,779 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
He's made some incredible, big plays for this team. I don't remember one last year, and the team as a whole didn't force TO's last year.
But remember, the INT in the snow against SD. That was the most insane interception I've ever seen. diving across the field and one handing it in the snow. I didn't believe he caught it until the slow mo replay.
The 08 championship pick 6 against Baltimore to seal the SB trip.
The 10 Baltimore strip of Flacco with 2 minutes to go. That play propelled us to another SB. Without it, we would have been on the road as a wildcard.

There are many more, but I think we'll get 1 or 2 more big plays out of him this year. He has a nose for the ball and he's not quite done yet.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #68
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

To play this game in the positions like Troy an James for as long as they have is a blessing in itself at the level they have played. Believe it or not we all get older!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #69
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,104 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
To play this game in the positions like Troy an James for as long as they have is a blessing in itself at the level they have played. Believe it or not we all get older!
Stop it, lets make a deal Troy and James can get older, lets just say you and I will always stay 30 or at the most 35. I agree, the way Troy plays the game this was meant to happen he came in the league in 2003, it seems as if he has been in the league since 1998 when Hines came in. James has always known one way to play, lights out until (or after) the whistle, he has always taken the challenge and when he was younger seemed to prevail. I hate to say it but these might be two positions the Steelers need to address in the 2013 draft, I really don't see a formidable "player in waiting" to replace either, I was really hoping that kid from Florida State (You know the walking Doogie Howser) would have made the team.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #70
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

I do not think they suck like Ike, but I do think we are watsing money for them to play a half season. Each season its a different reason. Right now its 20million riding th ebench.

Harrisons knee shouldve been dealt with long ago and the FO waited and delayed and let th eplayer call the shots. Thats BS

As far as troy goes, watch him in warmups, there is no warming up prior togames, he tosses a football around, rarely stretches, rarely runs with the team. I"m not sayingthis is good or bad,I'm just bringing up the fact that there is no visible running or stretching prior to a game. Yet always is pulling something,
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote