Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #11
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: ahhh, the bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina
Pirates need Mark Cuban to buy the team. That is the only way this team will win. They went out and spent a ton of money on Burnitz and he is batting .185. Big payday for Casey and Randa and they are hurt.

Haven't lived there in quite some time but you don't want that circus known as Cuban unless it's tabacco rolled tighter than (fill in the blank)...

Bring on the NFL!!
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Sorry, I disagree. In the '60s, the Burgh was a baseball town. Clendenon, Maz, Schofield, Bailey, Pagliaroni, Stargell, Virdon, Clemente. Believe me, I couldn't name more than one or two Steelers from the '64 team, but there's the Pirate's '64 starting lineup from memory. I was 10 in '64. I didn't have to look that up at all.

First came Three Rivers Stadium... and the first time you tried to watch baseball there you knew the Bucs were screwed. The place held the heat in, there was no air, the field views were awful (you couldn't see the baseline from behind the dugout), the sound system was horrible, and the upper deck was too far away for baseball. And it was on the North side, hard to get to and hard to get out of. There were maybe 30000 OK baseball seats there, and that's what the Bucs normally averaged. Now for football, Three Rivers was pretty good with the grandstand rotated so that the stands were elliptical, and part or the nature of watching live football is that distance isn't as big a factor as much as being able to see the whole field. A Steelers game 2 rows from the top in the end zone, while not the same as 200 level 40 yard line, was still watchable. Binoculars helped (but they don't help at a baseball game).

Second, there was the rise in popularity of football vs baseball. It isn't so much a Steelers/Pirates as it is a football/baseball.

Third, Pittsburgh is like everywhere else; they love winners. I agree 100% with the poster that wrote that during the '70s and '80s it was close. The Bucs won the Series in '71 and '79, and they were good enough to win it in '72, '74, '75, '77, and '78 (despite only 88 wins in '78, they were only one win away from forcing a divisional playoff game, coming from 16 games back in early August in a season that set the table for '79's championship run). If the Bucs put a real team on the field, with a chance of winning, a ticket to PNC Park will be just as tough a nugget to find as one to Heinz Field. But with a shrinking economy narrowing competition for a less and less avalable entertainment dollar, the idea of spending in excess of $150 to see, lets say Bucs/Brewers, is not near the top of the list. Heck, even the crappy Phillies teams from the '70s had Steve Carlton going out every 4th or 5th turn, to bring fans in. Believe me, I'm not going to spend $150+ to watch Oliver Perez stink out the joint.

I want to go see a Pirates game this year, but it's a 4.5 hour drive for me. I might try to make that St Louis series in mid-June, maybe get to see Pujols. I hope so. But I won't make the drive to watch the Bucs lose to the Brewers.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I love the Pirates though, and I love that all three teams are black & Gold. But the Steelers are my first love.

Same here, i still enjoy going to Pirate games.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote