Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Edman
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,680
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3261
Thanks: 151
Thanked 476 Times in 231 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default It's Scheme, not Talent.

The Zone Defense just doesn't work anymore. The League has caught up to it.

We shut down the Jets pretty good the week before. In that same game you remember Sanchez looking quite like Palmer and Manning on his opening drives. Suddenly he couldn't do jack worth a crap and he looked like Mark Sanchez. Know why? Because the Steelers were smart enough to realize that hey, our Soft Cushion Zone D isn't working, and maybe we'd better start playing aggressive.

New York didn't score again.

The Problem with the Defense is the ego of one guy by the name of Richard Lebeau. Whenever we trotted out the Classic Zone Defense this season, it was picked apart. But on the occasion where we put that crap to rest, the Defense was solid. Even going back to last season, when we put that Zone D away, the Defense played at a new level. Palmer had it too damn easy. It was basically pitch and catch. The Defense didn't put in any effort to challenge the dude or his receivers at all.

Tom Brady constantly made a mockery of the Zone Defense. We played him more aggressively last season, we shut him down.

This "Sit back in a cushion and hope we fool the QB" crap doesn't fly anymore. It's failed all three times we tried it. It has to go. This Defense isn't going to get it's mojo back by trotting out ***** 5-10 yard cushions.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,302
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 324
Thanked 389 Times in 248 Posts
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Zone Defense just doesn't work anymore. The League has caught up to it.

We shut down the Jets pretty good the week before. In that same game you remember Sanchez looking quite like Palmer and Manning on his opening drives. Suddenly he couldn't do jack worth a crap and he looked like Mark Sanchez. Know why? Because the Steelers were smart enough to realize that hey, our Soft Cushion Zone D isn't working, and maybe we'd better start playing aggressive.

New York didn't score again.

The Problem with the Defense is the ego of one guy by the name of Richard Lebeau. Whenever we trotted out the Classic Zone Defense this season, it was picked apart. But on the occasion where we put that crap to rest, the Defense was solid. Even going back to last season, when we put that Zone D crap to bed, the Defense played at a new level. Palmer had it too damn easy. It was basically pitch and catch. The Defense didn't put in any effort to challenge the dude or his recievers at all.

Tom Brady constantly made a mockery of the Zone Defense. We played him more aggressively last season, we shut him down.

This "Sit back in a cushion and hope we fool the QB" crap doesn't fly anymore. It's failed all three times we tried it. It has to go.
I don't care if it's man or zone, if you pressure the QB and stop the run, you win more than you lose. We don't have the personnel to get to the QB consistently.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
casteeler
Assistant Coach
 
casteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Heinz field West
Posts: 1,479
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15446
Thanks: 199
Thanked 272 Times in 184 Posts
My Mood: Crappy
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Ahhhhhh and those Giant Eagle bag boys the Steelers have employed as CBs don't deserve blame?
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,680
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3261
Thanks: 151
Thanked 476 Times in 231 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I don't care if it's man or zone, if you pressure the QB and stop the run, you win more than you lose. We don't have the personnel to get to the QB consistently.
The Front 7 put plenty of pressure on Palmer today. The problem is that Raider recievers were constantly running free and he was getting rid of the ball quickly. I can't count the number of times today I saw a Raider catch the ball with no Defender within a few yards of him.

That has been the chief weakness of the Zone Defense, in the past we could get away with it because of Troy and the Front 7. But the Elite QB's could pick it apart, now with no Troy and no top-tier pass rush, it's exposed, but we had plenty of success running an Aggressive D and not bullshit cushions.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,302
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 324
Thanked 389 Times in 248 Posts
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Ahhhhhh and those Giant Eagle bag boys the Steelers have employed as CBs don't deserve blame?
Sure they do. But, how many star CBs have been on this team since Rod Woodson? Our pass rush has always allowed the talent in our secondary to be less than top-notch. Clearly, the issue is absolutely no pressure whatsoever.

The friggin Raiders could have thrown Ken Stabler out there today and won.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,302
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 324
Thanked 389 Times in 248 Posts
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Front 7 put plenty of pressure on Palmer today. The problem is that Raider recievers were constantly running free and he was getting rid of the ball quickly. I can't count the number of times today I saw a Raider catch the ball with no Defender within a few yards of him.

That has been the chief weakness of the Zone Defense, in the past we could get away with it because of Troy and the Front 7. But the Elite QB's could pick it apart, now with no Troy and no top-tier pass rush, it's exposed, but we had plenty of success running an Aggressive D and not bullshit cushions.
We'll have to agree to disagree in regards to pressure today. I'd also suggest that we may be playing so much zone because our DBs can't cover m2m all day, and without a pass rush, that's what they'd have to do.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,680
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3261
Thanks: 151
Thanked 476 Times in 231 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree in regards to pressure today. I'd also suggest that we may be playing so much zone because our DBs can't cover m2m all day, and without a pass rush, that's what they'd have to do.
So you agree the Steelers should keep going what they're doing when it clearly isn't working, but not do what brought them success.

You could put Rod Woodson in his prime back there and he wouldn't be as effective by having him standing yards off of his receiver.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
casteeler
Assistant Coach
 
casteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Heinz field West
Posts: 1,479
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15446
Thanks: 199
Thanked 272 Times in 184 Posts
My Mood: Crappy
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Sure they do. But, how many star CBs have been on this team since Rod Woodson? Our pass rush has always allowed the talent in our secondary to be less than top-notch. Clearly, the issue is absolutely no pressure whatsoever.

The friggin Raiders could have thrown Ken Stabler out there today and won.
The issue is and has been for a couple of years now that the Steelers refuse to address their CB situation." less than top notch" is being kind
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

We all hear about how "complex" LeBeau's schemes are and that it may take a few years for newly drafted players to come through in his system. When you look throughout the NFL, other team's rookies are able to come in, and while they may not be world-beaters, they make some type of impact. Does anyone feel it's time for LeBeau to simplify things for the younger players?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,777
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 194
Thanked 1,205 Times in 605 Posts
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

No pressure on the Qb. No big plays, no turnovers. That has been the theme the last year and 3 games. Those 3 qualities are what makes the Steelers defense over the last half century. Oh, and stopping the run too. So 4. Now, lets see, why do we suck now? Harrison out? Ok. Troy out? Ok. Clark was out in both Denver games? Ok. But I just watched all the "best" defenses so far this season get torched all game long. Is it any coincidence that since this mother ****ing commissioner has destroyed football the last 2+ years, that the Steelers have sucked in the one area, EVEN BEFORE THE 70's, had always been good at? I say no.

I swear on my life, if it werent for the Steelers, I would NEVER watch the NFL as long as that mother ****ing piece of shit is commissioner. He has destroyed football, continues to destroy it and will eventually be the seed that ends the NFL as we knew it. These ****ing owners need to do something. Go ask Belichick how he feels? How bout John Fox? When the hell has John Fox ever done what he did this week? He is one of the most mild mannered coaches in the league. Bottom line is, until this ****er is out as commissioner, this league is in major trouble. The Rooney's made sure he got the throne, they need to now go talk to jerry jones, Kraft and all those rich old ****ers and get this ****er out NOW.

I will watch the Steelers forever, but i will NEVER spend one dime on any NFL apparel until that ****er is gone.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts