Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
No pressure on the Qb. No big plays, no turnovers. That has been the theme the last year and 3 games. Those 3 qualities are what makes the Steelers defense over the last half century. Oh, and stopping the run too. So 4. Now, lets see, why do we suck now? Harrison out? Ok. Troy out? Ok. Clark was out in both Denver games? Ok. But I just watched all the "best" defenses so far this season get torched all game long. Is it any coincidence that since this mother ****ing commissioner has destroyed football the last 2+ years, that the Steelers have sucked in the one area, EVEN BEFORE THE 70's, had always been good at? I say no.

I swear on my life, if it werent for the Steelers, I would NEVER watch the NFL as long as that mother ****ing piece of shit is commissioner. He has destroyed football, continues to destroy it and will eventually be the seed that ends the NFL as we knew it. These ****ing owners need to do something. Go ask Belichick how he feels? How bout John Fox? When the hell has John Fox ever done what he did this week? He is one of the most mild mannered coaches in the league. Bottom line is, until this ****er is out as commissioner, this league is in major trouble. The Rooney's made sure he got the throne, they need to now go talk to jerry jones, Kraft and all those rich old ****ers and get this ****er out NOW.

I will watch the Steelers forever, but i will NEVER spend one dime on any NFL apparel until that ****er is gone.
The NFL competition committee votes on these rule changes...the commissioner just doesn't unilaterally impose them...it aint just Goodell
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
The NFL competition committee votes on these rule changes...the commissioner just doesn't unilaterally impose them...it aint just Goodell
You mean like congress? It's congress fault, not Bush or Obama or whoever is president?
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I agree it's the scheme. Man coverage worked vs the Jets and it worked when we used it last year (Pats game for example) yet we keep playing this HUGE cushion BS. When we played man vs the Jets they were debilitated, and the Raiders would have been too if we played man against them. We don't get the pass rush to sit back in the zone anymore, plus with the rule changes that's not a good idea anyway. On top of that we don't stop the run. We will lose to the majority of the teams on our schedule IF we play the big cushion defense against them. The talent isn't what it was in 2008-2010, but they still can be a good defense if they play the right style of pass coverage, they showed us that just last week. Unfortunately I think LeBeau either can't/isn't understanding that the league has long passed up the big cushion zone defense or he's already hung it up and isn't going to make any changes.

I never thought LeBeau would become a hinderance, he might be the best D coordinator ever, but it looks like it's time for him to retire. The one argument that can be made in his favor is that he has always based his plays around the pass rush and now our pass rush is mediocre AT BEST, but even then it doesn't excuse the HUGE cushions. The run defense is more on the players IMO, mainly due to Hood and old Hampton/McClendon on the line instead of Smith and young Hampton. Plus Foote is being used more in coverage due to the new passing style offenses. I think some of us, especially me, took for granted how excellent Hampton (younger) and Farrior were against the run, total beasts.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Zone Defense just doesn't work anymore. The League has caught up to it.
True, but I don't think the talent is all there either. I haven't been impressed with Timmons or Hood yet. I would not say they are bad players, but they don't seem to be living up to what was expected, at least not yet.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
So you agree the Steelers should keep going what they're doing when it clearly isn't working, but not do what brought them success.

You could put Rod Woodson in his prime back there and he wouldn't be as effective by having him standing yards off of his receiver.
I'm not saying that the scheme isn't part of the problem. Maybe, maybe not. What I am saying is that we don't have the personnel to play bump and run man coverage either. If we don't generate more pass rush our DBs will get torched.

IMHO the issue up front (and the secondary for that matter) is personnel more than scheme. Poor drafting, poor scouting.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

All that i know is that this "scheme" is ABSOLUTELY not stopping the pass........both scheme and personnel both. And its only going to get worse from here.

There's no question that a change is in order. One is a different look (which we can do).
The other change we need is personnel. That one's much harder. We're going to have to do it through the draft and low-priced free agents that we will give a chance too. That one's going to take a lot of time.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
All that i know is that this "scheme" is ABSOLUTELY not stopping the pass........both scheme and personnel both. And its only going to get worse fromTwpo here.

There's no question that a change is in order. One is a different look (which we can do).
The other change we need is personnel. That one's much harder. We're going to have to do it through the draft and low-priced free agents that we will give a chance too. That one's going to take a lot of time.
All true. But, why not simplify the scheme a bit and get guys like McLendon, Heyward, and Brandon Johnson on the field? If they can get that push we are missing, then maybe the secondary will suffice..for now.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

So, three games into this season, the NFL has "caught up" to the system that produced the #1 D last year? Right.

No scheme that is based around a healthy Harrison and Polamalu works when, you know, they're not healthy.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
All that i know is that this "scheme" is ABSOLUTELY not stopping the pass........both scheme and personnel both. And its only going to get worse from here.
Of course it isn't when the scheme specifically has our corners playing off of receivers. You may as well put up a big flashing neon sign that says "THROW HERE!"

Yeah, it's only going to keep getting worse when we keep doing it.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
So, three games into this season, the NFL has "caught up" to the system that produced the #1 D last year? Right.

No scheme that is based around a healthy Harrison and Polamalu works when, you know, they're not healthy.
I don't think it's all scheme, but last year's #1 defense was mostly smoke & mirrors. The soft schedule against mediocre (or worse) QBs led to the inflated defensive ranking. They couldn't produce a pass rush last year either, and one of the worst seasons in NFL history in forced turnovers.