Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

He also insists on graybeards Keisel and Hampton when they are finished. Heyward and Hood and McClendon should be playing and shooting gaps, not standing up playing read/react and getting their knees taken out.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

The Steelers don't have the corners to play on the line bump and run. It may work against some teams; but i can't see those 2 lining up on every play on the opposing receiver. it will be Denver all over again; this time every play. Now I do feel Lebau has to change it up. The Raiders in the second half looked like a number 1 offence. What were they like 6 for 6 on third downs. Obviously they adjusted; and Lebau; well let's leave it at that.

I've read many posts on here and you guys are spot on on most of your stuff. But promoting Butler; nah. I think Tomlin has to put his print on this team. He inherited all this from Cowher. I really would like to see what system he would run. I know we could debate all day about the 3 4 vs 4 3. But i honestly wish they would go with the 4 3. I look at the Giants d line; man they come with 4 guys only; and boy they get after the qb. The Steelers schemes seem to have been figured out. Is it the players; the coaching?? I think a little of both. Let's just hope we can turn it around and try to stay positive; I know hard to do after that crap we saw yesterday.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #23
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

The offense put up 31 points they did there job. The Defense did not. I think the WHOLE defense as a unit did not do there job.

The team isn't adjusting well at halftime. It happened in Denver and it happened at Oakland. Up 10 points going into the 4th and the D shit itself.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
So, three games into this season, the NFL has "caught up" to the system that produced the #1 D last year? Right.

No scheme that is based around a healthy Harrison and Polamalu works when, you know, they're not healthy.
That #1 D last year got torched by a guy who pretends to be an NFL QB. 447yds... thats what a Tebow led offense put on this #1 D. If that isn't embarrassing to every Steelers fan in the world, I don't know what is....

Sorry, but I am tired of this "Zone D" because it's soft. Manning went no huddle this year and torched LeBeau. Palmer didn't do Jack Schitt versus this defense at one point in his career but yesterday he made them look silly. It was like taking candy from a baby. He just took what the D gave him ALL DAY LONG and when your DB's are giving 7-10yd cushions mixed with a bunch of soft spots in the D, it becomes easy pickings. How many routes from the opposing WRs do we actually disrupt in the first 5 yds contact is allowed? I am guessing that number is a VERY LOW percentage, if anything at all.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I don't think it's all scheme, but last year's #1 defense was mostly smoke & mirrors. The soft schedule against mediocre (or worse) QBs led to the inflated defensive ranking. They couldn't produce a pass rush last year either, and one of the worst seasons in NFL history in forced turnovers.

The Steelers were the most overrated D last year and it just imploded in the first playoff game against a rookie QB.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,377 Posts

the only thing I have to add is that things can only go one direction from here

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
the only thing I have to add is that things can only go one direction from here
I wish that were true. Unfortunately, this season could get worse. But, some slight scheme changes and a few personnel changes could inject some life back into this D.

That would be my "beer mug is half-full outlook."
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,377 Posts

it terms of wins and losses, yea it could get worse unfortunately - I just hope we as fans dont have to get in the mode of "all well, at least we are seeing what youngin A, B, and C can do" - that will not be a happy situation.

Nightmare scenario - injury to playmaker on offense and/or Troy and James coming back and not much changes. You can bet your arse a few more vets won't be coming back at this rate, and that's not counting Casey Hampton

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
it terms of wins and losses, yea it could get worse unfortunately - I just hope we as fans dont have to get in the mode of "all well, at least we are seeing what youngin A, B, and C can do" - that will not be a happy situation.

Nightmare scenario - injury to playmaker on offense and/or Troy and James coming back and not much changes. You can bet your arse a few more vets won't be coming back at this rate, and that's not counting Casey Hampton
No doubt. There's no silver lining when you lose. That mentality is what keeps teams like Clevelanatti in a constant state of crap.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Quote:
Originally Posted by defence View Post
The Steelers don't have the corners to play on the line bump and run.
The Patriots game last year and 2nd Half against the Jets proves you wrong.

These corners can't play B&R, so we'll just have them stand 5-10 yards off of receivers! Have them stand there and let receivers run free and make the catch! That'll certainly work and they'll realize their potential that way!
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote