Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Stressed
Default Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: The Difference Makers

Monday, September 24th, 2012
By Tiger Rowan
Steelers Fever Columnist

If one were to scour Steelers message boards, there is one ubiquitous theme: Fire Dick LeBeau. I have heard it time & time again. And, being the defensive coordinator for the Steelers, some culpability should indeed be directed his way. Regardless of blame, the fact is that LeBeau does not have the players to run "his" defense.

Of course, the counter-arguement would be that if LeBeau does not have the players, one might suggest that he simply alter his scheme. Well... hmmm... that is easier said than done (but, I will get back to that idea later on).

LeBeau's defensive philosophy, in its simplest form, is this: keep everything in front of the defense... and after enough plays, the offense will make a crucial mistake. This philosophy has worked for a long, long time... but, not necessarily due to the scheme; I contend that it is the players that have made it successful.

We are all familiar with LeBeau's formula: the cornerbacks play ten yards off; the opposition can have anything underneath/anything short; and after making an opponent drive down the field, taking ten to thirteen plays... at some point, a "difference maker" WILL rise up, and create a "splash" play: an interception, a forced fumble, a momentous sack, and/or a key tackle on third down.

In the 90s, the difference makers were Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake, and Rod Woodson. In the early part of the 2000s, it was various players, such as Joey Porter, James Farrior, Kendrell Bell, and even Casey Hampton. For the past few years, it has been James Harrison and Troy Polamalu. And, alas, currently... there is NO ONE making "splash" plays on this defense......

Read more: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1012.html

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: The Difference Makers

Looks like its one of those falling out years....Man i hope not!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Looks like its one of those falling out years....Man i hope not!
Wouldn't be a bad thing. Get a high good draft pick!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

I was very excited going into this year, now not so much. Still early but I do not like one bit of the defense.

Hoping to get Troy and Harrison back after the bye. Could make a world of difference. If it doesn't, we are done for.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Wouldn't be a bad thing. Get a high good draft pick!
We're not going to finish below .500. Write that down.

This was my "trap" game as soon as the schedule was announced, and the defense fell into it.

The good news is the offense DIDN'T, and it looked better than the Patriots offense from last night.

Why does this matter? The Pats defense isn't the best defense either, and NO ONE has them missing the playoffs. Don't get caught up in the medias woes. We'll be fine.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
We're not going to finish below .500. Write that down.

This was my "trap" game as soon as the schedule was announced, and the defense fell into it.

The good news is the offense DIDN'T, and it looked better than the Patriots offense from last night.

Why does this matter? The Pats defense isn't the best defense either, and NO ONE has them missing the playoffs. Don't get caught up in the medias woes. We'll be fine.
Although I try and stay positive, the defense has been atrocious. But all it takes is ONE stop in the second half and we could be a 3-0 team. We need to get off the field in the 2nd half.

One other thing to note. This offense is only going to get BETTER.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I agree that nobody is making splash plays and that we no longer have the talent we used to, but that's about it. First off, the Pats are yet to win a Lombardi without being able to tape the other teams signals, so that is not a defense we should model ourselves after. The defense we played against the Pats last year is the defense we should be playing, and the talent is nearly the same now as it was then (remember Farrior and Harrison were out).

As far as the offense turning into something special, I can definitely see that, but I don't see it being good enough to overcome how far the defense has fell. It wasn't a "shoot out" against the Raiders, they were just allowed to make an 8-12 yard catch every time because of the cushions. Losing to them like that isn't frustrating, it's flat out f****** embarassing and it didn't have to happen, regardless of "splash" plays.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

In other words, blaming the "D" to the point of posts like "...LEBEAU MUST GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!..." just shows how "spoilt" we have all been over the past few years, with this Steelers #1 NFL Defense.
Sooo, when will our Offense finally step up to the plate then?.
Don't just constantly "blame' the "D" this early on.\

I'm still waiting for our "O" to alteast get to #3, how 'bout #2 in the NFL, which it has NOT been for what now, - over a couple decades now. ???
"Scouring the Forums" haha. Ya right. for what, to listen to a bunch of couch "QB's", in the NFL, such as us all ?

I want our "O" to finally DO what our "D" has been doing for years now -mainly get to #One, son !!!
Then, and only then, squak all u want about our "D".
Talkin' bout our Offense, it is plain we NEED to be able to run, to setup the pass, and vice-versa, it's basic Football-101, without it, no one is goin' nowhere.

So, lets NOT embarrass ourselves anymore with pre-mature water boy posts such as has been already seen around here.
TY.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
In other words, blaming the "D" to the point of posts like "...LEBEAU MUST GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!..." just shows how "spoilt" we have all been over the past few years, with this Steelers #1 NFL Defense.
Sooo, when will our Offense finally step up to the plate then?.
Don't just constantly "blame' the "D" this early on.\

I'm still waiting for our "O" to alteast get to #3, how 'bout #2 in the NFL, which it has NOT been for what now, - over a couple decades now. ???
"Scouring the Forums" haha. Ya right. for what, to listen to a bunch of couch "QB's", in the NFL, such as us all ?

I want our "O" to finally DO what our "D" has been doing for years now -mainly get to #One, son !!!
Then, and only then, squak all u want about our "D".
Talkin' bout our Offense, it is plain we NEED to be able to run, to setup the pass, and vice-versa, it's basic Football-101, without it, no one is goin' nowhere.

So, lets NOT embarrass ourselves anymore with pre-mature water boy posts such as has been already seen around here.
TY.
I agree. The "DEFENSE SUCKS FIRE LEBEAU" threads are annoying as hell, and if you noticed, any new threads have been locked immediately.

However, last year doesn't matter. The year before doesn't matter. What matters is this year, and the defense hasn't showed up yet.

I sure hope they improve with the arrival of Troy and Harrison, and I hope we can be competent again.

And by the way, we mustered up all of 40-50 yards rushing and the passing game racked up 300+ yards. We obviously don't need to run to setup the pass. That shit became a myth just as soon as Goodell starting transitioning this league into a passing league.

A running game certainly would help now that Haley's calling a great passing game, and we'll have Mendenhall back in two weeks.

But seriously, quit bringing up the fact that our defense has bailed out the offense for the better part of the last decade, because honestly, none of that matters. What matters now is that we're 1-2, and that MANY other ELITE teams are 1-2 as well.

The season is NOT over. The offense is NOT at it's peak. The offense WILL get better. The defense IS bad, and we're missing some pieces that can change that.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,654 Times in 2,404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Having the #1 defense doesn't matter if you make the #30- offenses look great
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote