Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965
Default Re: Defense showing its age, and....

Troy and James missing? should not have mattered. The Raiders are not a good team. they got creamed the week before by the Dolphins.

they really need some emotion out there on defense. there is no fire. was at the game and watching them between plays the entire time standing around not too into it. someone needs to be yelling and firing this D up. Keisel tries but it's not that effective
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Then if that's the case, then Lebeau isn't as big a defensive genius as we say he is. Like I said, not even Rod Woodson in his prime would've been a help yesterday when he's asked to play five yards off his receiver.

Okay, the Front 7 isn't getting there, why not make adjustments and have the defensive backs play more aggressive to help them out? There are 11 guys on Defense, not 7. So you're telling me we have no trust in our Corners when they were the same group that shut down the Pats last year? We have to keep playing them off the WR's and TE's? Thus opening up even bigger holes in the Defense?

Insanity is attempting the same thing over and over and expecting different* results. Three times the Steelers tried the same shit on defense, they got burned. The Rare Time when they didn't do it (Jets game), they were as stout as ever.
Not arguing that a scheme change (playing tight to the receivers) is in order. However, if we don't get more pressure on the QB it won't matter. Good QBs will find an open receiver at some point.

Yes, the defense played well against Brady last year, but the reason we won that game had more to do with Arians adjusting to the short passing game rather than the bombs to Wallace on 3rd and short or the maddening bubble screen on 3rd and 15.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Not arguing that a scheme change (playing tight to the receivers) is in order. However, if we don't get more pressure on the QB it won't matter. Good QBs will find an open receiver at some point.

Yes, the defense played well against Brady last year, but the reason we won that game had more to do with Arians adjusting to the short passing game rather than the bombs to Wallace on 3rd and short or the maddening bubble screen on 3rd and 15.

beating New England last year also had something to do with using Miller like he should be used. what did he have the first half....11 catches or something? that could be a regular game day stat for him
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,954 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFieldFive View Post
Troy and James missing? should not have mattered. The Raiders are not a good team. they got creamed the week before by the Dolphins.

they really need some emotion out there on defense. there is no fire. was at the game and watching them between plays the entire time standing around not too into it. someone needs to be yelling and firing this D up. Keisel tries but it's not that effective
did keisel even make the trip?

i think that people are discounting cross country road games and how tough they can be, regardless of how bad the opponent may suck.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFieldFive View Post
beating New England last year also had something to do with using Miller like he should be used. what did he have the first half....11 catches or something? that could be a regular game day stat for him
6 for 76 in the first half & was targeted another 3 or 4 times.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,049 Times in 2,138 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I haven't been impressed with Diesel for years now, and the same goes for Hampton. They we're drafted clear back in the Stewart/Maddox/Batch days. No surprise that they're dropping off.

As for Troy, he can still be playmaker, and he SHOULD still be one of the best SS's in the NFL if he stays healthy. Him and Harrison constantly being injured is KILLING us.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I haven't been impressed with Diesel for years now, and the same goes for Hampton. They we're drafted clear back in the Stewart/Maddox/Batch days. No surprise that they're dropping off.

As for Troy, he can still be playmaker, and he SHOULD still be one of the best SS's in the NFL if he stays healthy. Him and Harrison constantly being injured is KILLING us.
Agree. But, don't you think it's time for Troy to cut back on all the freelancing?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,049 Times in 2,138 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Agree. But, don't you think it's time for Troy to cut back on all the freelancing?
I think it's too early to tell. He had an off year last year, and suffered through injuries the year before. You never know, he could have a breakout year yet again this year.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791

Hopefully let the coaches look at the film the next 2 weeks and put in somebody else who can make a difference.....they should put in the 4th rounder and McClendon and Heyward.......Carter cant fight off a single block so they need to put in someone who will like Adrian Robinson. Troy and Harrison and Hampton and Keisel are good leaders but they are nowhere near what they have been before and its time they let go of the reigns and let the youth come in.....I say let Sean Spence transfer to Troys position next year, cut Hampton, Harrison, and Keisel.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #30
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,600 Times in 5,991 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Good news for Steelers

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2012
posted by Dale Lolley

It appears that both James Harrison and Troy Polamalu will be back on the field for the Steelers when they return to action against the Philadelphia Eagles.

That's good news for a defense that has been cheesy soft on the road.

There has been some question as to how much Harrison can help this team because of his health.

Remember, this is a guy who started last season at about 50 percent due to two offseason back surgeries.

Harrison on one leg is better than 75 percent of the pass rushers out there.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/