Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #31
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

With no pass rush, it doesnt matter if they played man or zone......
Old 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,502 Times in 786 Posts
My Mood: Hot

It's definitely both, not one or the other.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #33
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

I agree. Ryan Mundy will suck no matter what scheme he plays.

But when you have talented players like Hood, Timmons, Woodley, and Heyward who are not performing well to their fullest extent, you have to question the scheme.

The Offense for the past several years have been mediocre, would you say Ben Roethlisberger, YMC, Heath Miller are bad players? No. The Scheme is what has been holding them back. Now that we have a competent OC who is running an offense that maximizes their talents, the Offense is playing at a level that we haven't seen them perform before.

It's Lebeau's responsibility to to adjust his scheme to fit the talent of his players. Hood and Heyward are a different breed of Linemen from the likes of Aaron Smith and Kimo Von Oelhoffen. They are athletes that can terrorize Offenses when have been turned loose, instead we have them standing around titty-fighting with linemen to compensate for an ineffective and aging Casey Hampton in a tired and pathetic scheme that has continually failed since the onset of 2011. It's a classic case of square peg, round hole.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

The Offense production makes me giddy like a little kid come Christmas but then our Defense steps on the field and some ****ing Grinch comes and smashes all the toys....

Its a cruel twist of fate....

****ing Steelers....
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #35
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Is it really though? The same guys shut down the Jets playing man, they shut down the SB bound Pats last year playing man without Harrison and Farrior. This talent has shown that it's capable if used correctly. It won't be like 2008 or 2010 again, not with who we have now and not with the way the game has changed, but so far they beat good teams when playing the right scheme. On the contrary, we've came close to losing to some scrub teams, and have been embarrassed by some good teams while playing the big cushion defense, even with all our starters on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post
With no pass rush, it doesnt matter if they played man or zone......
Right now the opposing offense has a player open almost instantaneously due to the 7-10 yard cushions. This is why we see quick passes beating us so much. If the QB has to wait a few seconds to see which WR's are able to beat their guy (who's playing man coverage) then maybe our guys will be able to get to the QB instead of watching the ball go over their heads the second after it's snapped.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #36
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Front 7 put plenty of pressure on Palmer today. The problem is that Raider recievers were constantly running free and he was getting rid of the ball quickly. I can't count the number of times today I saw a Raider catch the ball with no Defender within a few yards of him.

That has been the chief weakness of the Zone Defense, in the past we could get away with it because of Troy and the Front 7. But the Elite QB's could pick it apart, now with no Troy and no top-tier pass rush, it's exposed, but we had plenty of success running an Aggressive D and not bullshit cushions.
BINGO!

And it wasn't just against the Raiders, it's been happening for the last few seasons.

Of course it could NEVER have anything to do with LeBeau, so it must be that Troy is out, or Harrison is out, or Hampton is too fat, or Hood hasn't "developed" yet and blah, blah, blah.

The simplest answer is usually the correct one and to me the simplest answer here is that LeBeau's best days are behind him and he's been mailing it in for quite a while.
It's time to stop worshiping him and start looking for his replacement.

I think a fifty-year career in the NFL is a pretty good run for anybody.
He may once have been a genius but even genius gets old.

It's time to get rid of this "One Size Fits All" defense and start game planning on a team by team basis and like it or not, a 75-year-old man simply doesn't have the horses for that kind of commitment - no matter how much golf he plays.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #37
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
BINGO!

And it wasn't just against the Raiders, it's been happening for the last few seasons.

Of course it could NEVER have anything to do with LeBeau, so it must be that Troy is out, or Harrison is out, or Hampton is too fat, or Hood hasn't "developed" yet and blah, blah, blah.

The simplest answer is usually the correct one and to me the simplest answer here is that LeBeau's best days are behind him and he's been mailing it in for quite a while.
It's time to stop worshiping him and start looking for his replacement.

I think a fifty-year career in the NFL is a pretty good run for anybody.
He may once have been a genius but even genius gets old.

It's time to get rid of this "One Size Fits All" defense and start game planning on a team by team basis and like it or not, a 75-year-old man simply doesn't have the horses for that kind of commitment - no matter how much golf he plays.
This Defense is not a lost cause. It's proven it can get the job done, when Lebeau's **** Zone Defense is put on the shelf. This Season after three games...

Steelers D in the Zone Defense: 68 Points surrendered.

Steelers D in Aggressive Man Defense: 0 Points surrendered.

The Zone Defense is of course, supposed to stop the big play, well, guess what. NFL Offenses don't care about the big play. They're more than happy to go short and medium and they cruise move right down the field. Manning Tore it up, Palmer tore it up, and if the Steelers didn't adjust against New York, Dirty Sanchez was ready to tear it a new one too. He was nigh-unstoppable in the First Quarter of the Jet game.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #38
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Zone Defense just doesn't work anymore. The League has caught up to it.

its working just fine in the desert.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #39
SteelersRush
Water Boy

Member Number: 3207

Anybody notice the Seahawks running a 3-4? 8 sacks in the 1st half. What was that about "scheme" not working? Coaches coach and players play damn it. I rarely post as you will notice but all this doom and gloom has got me off the sidelines. We'll be fine with the return of Poly and the Silverback.
SteelersRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #40
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersRush View Post
Anybody notice the Seahawks running a 3-4? 8 sacks in the 1st half. What was that about "scheme" not working? Coaches coach and players play damn it. I rarely post as you will notice but all this doom and gloom has got me off the sidelines. We'll be fine with the return of Poly and the Silverback.
Do you understand the difference between a 2-gap read/react 3-4 and an attacking, 1-gap 3-4? Do you see our DBs smothering WRs at the LOS like Seattle's?
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote