Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,123 Times in 3,468 Posts
Default Re: Ray Horton might have been the one to keep

im enjoying watching steelers west and wish them continued success. here in NM they are actually our "local" team.

Denver is a 10 hr drive away. Dallas is a 12 hr drive. Phoenix- 6.

We get every dallas and denver game every week as part of the "local market".

i havent seen a cardinals game on TV here since the playoffs and superbowl (other than the rare instance they have a night game). they are never part of a national braodcast game, and not considered worthy of local market because they suck and people love the cowboys.

go figure. i used to atleast see them twice a year before they moved to the NFC West back when they realy REALLY sucked.

make no mistake... the steelers got the right people.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Ken Whisenhunt 3-0 with Cards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Wiz has done well and I'm glad for him. But Tomlin has been very successful over 5 seasons. More successful than Cowher was. How can you give Cower Credit for Tomlin's success? Cowher went to 2 SB's and won 1 in 15 years. Tomlin has done that in his first 5 years. IDK. If you say Tomlin's success is due to Cowher's players, then I guess Cowher's 94 and 95 AFCC seasons don't count.

I tend to like both coaches. I think Tomlin will win another championship also.
The steelers had been very average for years before Cowher took over....Tomlin took over a Super Bowl roster...

Once Cowher got BR7...He got his ring....A franchise means everything!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,092 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ken wisenhunt has spent the past 6 years drafting inside the top 10, so no.

also AZ has a ton of talent on D.
Yup. I also think the Steelers two DL draft picks may be better suited for a 4-3. I think the Steelers should look into switch next year. If this continues, I see Lebeau retiring after this season.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,123 Times in 3,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Yup. I also think the Steelers two DL draft picks may be better suited for a 4-3. I think the Steelers should look into switch next year. If this continues, I see Lebeau retiring after this season.
that means hood and heyward put on 10 lbs and transition to DT (easier for hood).

get rid of harrison and hampton and keisel.

woodley transitions to a dwight freeney type DE. Timmons moves to weak side ILB.

that means we are looking for another DE, MLB and strong side linebacker in next years draft and FA.

thats quite a tall order considering we may need some safety and CB help as well (along with possible replacements for mendenhall and wallace).
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,655 Times in 8,604 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBus View Post
I am not a sky is falling, we are doomed, fire everyone Steelers fan. However, seeing how well Whisenhunt is doing with a much, much less talented Arizona squad it begs the question did the Steelers brass make a mistake. Tomlin has had success but he has won largely do to the team he adopted not the team he created. Wisenhunt has a defense playing hungry and with attitude, and he BUILT that team. the team I have seen thus far does not resemble the steelers way and I feel that all starts with what type of attitude the head coach instills in the team and Tomlin has this team going.backwards. obviously if we win Sunday a lot of these thoughts go away, but we didn't so I ask do you feel we would be better off with wisenhunt holding down the reigns? Personally I think we would but let's hope we get healthy in the bye and come out the gates refocused and ready to put players we have in a position to win
The "Tomlin inherited a SuperBowl team" is only partially true.  

Cowher could only get that current roster to one SuperBowl, and Tomlin got them to two SuperBowls.  

Cowher inherited Noll's completely loaded roster (Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson)... and if we are being even, well, are you saying that Cowher getting to the play-offs in his first six seasons due to Noll?  

Tomlin has the best winning percentage of any current coach, and  in his first five years... ugh... I'm tired.  There's a thread about this (around the time of Tomlin's extension).  
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

[QUOTE=teegre;1032859]The "Tomlin inherited a SuperBowl team" is only partially true.  

Cowher could only get that current roster to one SuperBowl, and Tomlin got them to two SuperBowls.  AGAIN...Tomlin had a franchise QB in place....Cowher never did till he got BR7..

Cowher inherited Noll's completely loaded roster (Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson)... and if we are being even, well, are you saying that Cowher getting to the play-offs in his first six seasons due to Noll?  Loaded roster??? Our best record was 9-7 the prior 6 0r 7 years before Cowher took over..

Tomlin has the best winning percentage of any current coach, and  in his first five years... ugh... I'm tired.  There's a thread about this (around the time of Tomlin's extension). George Seifert did too, till he had to go with his own players....Tomlin is heading down the same path.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,655 Times in 8,604 Posts
My Mood: Dead

[QUOTE=steeltheone;1032879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
The "Tomlin inherited a SuperBowl team" is only partially true.  

Cowher could only get that current roster to one SuperBowl, and Tomlin got them to two SuperBowls.  AGAIN...Tomlin had a franchise QB in place....Cowher never did till he got BR7..

Cowher inherited Noll's completely loaded roster (Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson)... and if we are being even, well, are you saying that Cowher getting to the play-offs in his first six seasons due to Noll?  Loaded roster??? Our best record was 9-7 the prior 6 0r 7 years before Cowher took over..

Tomlin has the best winning percentage of any current coach, and  in his first five years... ugh... I'm tired.  There's a thread about this (around the time of Tomlin's extension). George Seifert did too, till he had to go with his own players....Tomlin is heading down the same path.
Yes, having a franchise QB is essential.  Aside from Dilfer & Brad Johnson, the past 20 SuperBowls have been won by teams with elite QBs.  How does that make Tomlin a bad coach???  

Records or not, Cowher inherited a team that had Greg Lloyd, Hardy Nickerson, Carnel Lake, Rod Woodson, et cetera... just as Tomlin inherited a team full of great players.  

Tomlin needs his own players... such as Wallace, AB, DD, Pouncey, Woodley...  

You don't like Tomlin.  You are far from alone.  I am (seemingly) one of the few who think that he's a great coach.  
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
jb500ex
Banned

Member Number: 24020

Three of Tomlin five years ended terribly and were heading for a fourth. Losing jax , Tim tebow and unleashing hell tarnish that winning pct in a big way. If he steelers fail to make the playoffs there is no way you can tell me Tomlin is a good coach. I'm still waiting to see what he actually does
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,442 Times in 2,738 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

he wasn't getting it done either
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
Three of Tomlin five years ended terribly and were heading for a fourth. Losing jax , Tim tebow and unleashing hell tarnish that winning pct in a big way. If he steelers fail to make the playoffs there is no way you can tell me Tomlin is a good coach. I'm still waiting to see what he actually does
To be fair, we had practically nobody left in the Jacksonville playoff game due to injuries.. That, and we got screwed on a non-holding call on Harrison that set up the Game winning FG. The Jags spanked us in the regular season. I was proud of how we overcame a large deficit and almost pulled it out.

If you're going to bring up Tomlin's failures, you cannot overlook his successful seasons as well. 2 of those 5 years ended with Super Bowl births, one win.. 2-0 vs Baltimore in the playoffs. 2-0 in AFCCGs. 4 of 5 playoff births. We had defeated Baltimore in every big regular season game we played them in up until last season. He's had some weak draft picks, and he's had some stellar ones (Woodley, Brown, Wallace, Pouncey). Mendenhall was a good pick as well, it's just unfortunate he's had to run behind some horrible run blocking olines. Put him behind the Texans oline, and he'd be a perennial Pro Bowler.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote