Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #41
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
No pressure on the Qb. No big plays, no turnovers. That has been the theme the last year and 3 games. Those 3 qualities are what makes the Steelers defense over the last half century. Oh, and stopping the run too. So 4. Now, lets see, why do we suck now? Harrison out? Ok. Troy out? Ok. Clark was out in both Denver games? Ok. But I just watched all the "best" defenses so far this season get torched all game long. Is it any coincidence that since this mother ****ing commissioner has destroyed football the last 2+ years, that the Steelers have sucked in the one area, EVEN BEFORE THE 70's, had always been good at? I say no.

I swear on my life, if it werent for the Steelers, I would NEVER watch the NFL as long as that mother ****ing piece of shit is commissioner. He has destroyed football, continues to destroy it and will eventually be the seed that ends the NFL as we knew it. These ****ing owners need to do something. Go ask Belichick how he feels? How bout John Fox? When the hell has John Fox ever done what he did this week? He is one of the most mild mannered coaches in the league. Bottom line is, until this ****er is out as commissioner, this league is in major trouble. The Rooney's made sure he got the throne, they need to now go talk to jerry jones, Kraft and all those rich old ****ers and get this ****er out NOW.

I will watch the Steelers forever, but i will NEVER spend one dime on any NFL apparel until that ****er is gone.

Take a breath, shoot some thorazine, whatever, man.

The Commish is NOT the problem-- the players are.

It's the same unionized, sense of entitlement that is ruining everything else in our society.

A lot of those big names from the 70's, 80's, and 90's are now aging out, and totally broke from spending their bling on coke, *****s, and Escalades for their teenage girlfriends the last couple decades. And they are developing neurological problems from all the bone-jarring hits they take.

Now they have taken to suing the NFL. DO you have any idea how many pending lawsuits for concussions the NFL has on its plate from former players? They were deceived and didn't know that ramming their head against another 300-lb man could cause health problems later in life? Really?

Playing in the NFL is a one-shooter roll on the wheel. You have this one-in-a-million chance to score some big $$$$ and retire, knowing the risk of bodily injury. Hence the huge payoff.

Smart people put that away to retire on and take care of them for the rest of their lives. The thugs buy lamborghini's, get drunk in them, and then run over a bystander, and finally, sue their former employer for another handout a couple decades later.

The NFL is answering the demand for a safer game. If parents don't let their kids play, football is done.

Unfortunately, the NFL is turning in record profits the last few years, it is safer, and draws in more fair-weather viewers. The "new NFL" is here to stay, as much as it makes the "old foggies" like you and I, who saw how it was "meant to be played", want to vommit.

Goodell is not the problem.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #42
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
its working just fine in the desert.
Yes it is. It's not that the zone D is totally dead, but the style that we play it is. Big cushions are a loss waiting to happen now days.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #43
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

B-But Seattle and Arizona is running it fine!

Yeah, they're running it fine because they're not having their D-Linemen titty fight and not having their corners stand 7-10 off of receivers. They're attacking, not reacting like our Defense is.

That still doesn't excuse the fact that whenever we sit back in a zone, we've been continually torched, but when we play aggressive, we shut teams down. 24 and 34 points given up in two weeks playing the Cushy Zone says it all. Our way isn't working. Troy and Harrison coming back isn't going to magically fix it. Troy played in Denver and the Defense still got gashed. Lebeau Apologists seem to forget that fact.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #44
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Actually, Troy and Harrison coming back will magically fix it. That's not to say that the plan shouldn't be tweaked for the long run, but one should never doubt what those two can do when healthy.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #45
SteelersRush
Water Boy

Member Number: 3207

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersRush View Post
Anybody notice the Seahawks running a 3-4? 8 sacks in the 1st half. What was that about "scheme" not working? Coaches coach and players play damn it. I rarely post as you will notice but all this doom and gloom has got me off the sidelines. We'll be fine with the return of Poly and the Silverback.
Do you understand the difference between a 2-gap read/react 3-4 and an attacking, 1-gap 3-4? Do you see our DBs smothering WRs at the LOS like Seattle's?

Yep. Seattle was able to flat out attack because the packers have no run game. Therefore the DL didn't have to pay any attention to gap control. The ball was in the air 90% of the time. The last time I saw our DB's smother WR's was the Patriots game last year. But I don't think Taylor or Lewis are as good as Seattles corners when it comes to man to man coverage. Hell those guys were playing Mel Blount style with the Packers WR's. Totally man handled them at the LOS.
SteelersRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #46
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

It's not the scheme, the d-line gets no push, LW is the only pass rush threat and the secondary is poor. The talent just isn't there any more.

Smith GONE Keisel DECLINING Hampton WASHED UP Harrison DECLINING Polamalu DECLINING....
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #47
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
True, but I don't think the talent is all there either. I haven't been impressed with Timmons or Hood yet. I would not say they are bad players, but they don't seem to be living up to what was expected, at least not yet.

Bingo, Timmons and Hood do nothing.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #48
SteelersRush
Water Boy

Member Number: 3207

[QUOTE=SteelersRush;1032930]Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersRush View Post
Anybody notice the Seahawks running a 3-4? 8 sacks in the 1st half. What was that about "scheme" not working? Coaches coach and players play damn it. I rarely post as you will notice but all this doom and gloom has got me off the sidelines. We'll be fine with the return of Poly and the Silverback.
Do you understand the difference between a 2-gap read/react 3-4 and an attacking, 1-gap 3-4? Do you see our DBs smothering WRs at the LOS like Seattle's?

Yep. Seattle was able to flat out attack because the packers have no run game. Therefore the DL didn't have to pay any attention to gap control. The ball was in the air 90% of the time. The last time I saw our DB's smother WR's was the Patriots game last year. But I don't think Taylor or Lewis are as good as Seattles corners when it comes to man to man coverage. Hell those guys were playing Mel Blount style with the Packers WR's. Totally man handled them at the LOS.
SteelersRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #49
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway to 7 View Post
Bingo, Timmons and Hood do nothing.
Of course Hood does nothing. That's pretty much what he's been asked to do. To stand there and hand fight with linemen, so the Backers can make the plays, not dominate the line of scrimmage. I don't know how long you've been watching the Steelers, but that's been a staple of Lebeau Defenses for years.

It's a tired, obsolete, dinosaur scheme that is worst of all unfitting for our personnel.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #50
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Take a breath, shoot some thorazine, whatever, man.

The Commish is NOT the problem-- the players are.

It's the same unionized, sense of entitlement that is ruining everything else in our society.

A lot of those big names from the 70's, 80's, and 90's are now aging out, and totally broke from spending their bling on coke, *****s, and Escalades for their teenage girlfriends the last couple decades. And they are developing neurological problems from all the bone-jarring hits they take.

Now they have taken to suing the NFL. DO you have any idea how many pending lawsuits for concussions the NFL has on its plate from former players? They were deceived and didn't know that ramming their head against another 300-lb man could cause health problems later in life? Really?

Playing in the NFL is a one-shooter roll on the wheel. You have this one-in-a-million chance to score some big $$$$ and retire, knowing the risk of bodily injury. Hence the huge payoff.

Smart people put that away to retire on and take care of them for the rest of their lives. The thugs buy lamborghini's, get drunk in them, and then run over a bystander, and finally, sue their former employer for another handout a couple decades later.

The NFL is answering the demand for a safer game. If parents don't let their kids play, football is done.

Unfortunately, the NFL is turning in record profits the last few years, it is safer, and draws in more fair-weather viewers. The "new NFL" is here to stay, as much as it makes the "old foggies" like you and I, who saw how it was "meant to be played", want to vommit.

Goodell is not the problem.
I'm 34 years old sally, I am not an old foggie, whatever that lame ass word means. You lost your entire argument with "Goodell is not the problem". Goodell is a tumor that will continue to grow. And if you want two hand touch football, then you can go watch that crap with goodell and all the brainwashed slaps.

Maybe people like you can go govern MMA and Boxing too so that they dont punch each other in the face, only on the shoulder so they do not get brain damage.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote