Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #61
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,504 Times in 5,951 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: DEFENSE????

Steelers D wilts without Polamalu

Pittsburgh needs to get injured star safety back on the field

Updated: September 25, 2012
By Vince Verhei | Football Outsiders

Despite four touchdowns from Ben Roethlisberger and a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Pittsburgh Steelers fell to the Oakland Raiders 34-31 on Sunday. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin looked on helplessly as his defense allowed the Raiders to score three touchdowns and two field goals on their final five drives.

It was so bad that Tomlin ordered his offense to go for it on fourth-and-1 with less than four minutes to go in a tie game at his own 29-yard line. Failure would have handed the ball to Oakland in field goal range, but Tomlin apparently felt that if he punted, he couldn't trust his defense to get a stop. The Steelers picked up the first down, but the drive later stalled and Pittsburgh punted on fourth-and-9.

Oakland promptly drove 49 yards for the winning field goal as time expired, proving that Tomlin's lack of faith in his defense was justified. While the loss was obviously disappointing for Tomlin and the Steelers, it shouldn't have been terribly surprising, because Troy Polamalu was in street clothes. When Polamalu is on the field, the Steelers play defense as well as any team in football. Without him, they suddenly become very vulnerable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...-troy-polamalu
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #62
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,311 Posts
My Mood: Fine

and if he gets injured again?

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #63
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,504 Times in 5,951 Posts
My Mood: Happy

2012 Pittsburgh Steelers defense conjuring memories of the defensive collapse of 2009

Submitted by Syndicated sources on September 25, 2012

As the fallout from Sunday’s horrible loss continues to build, the memory of one play should continue to standout as a potentially unwanted harbinger for Pittsburgh Steelers fans. No, it is not the 64-yard Darren McFadden touchdown run, or the borderline hit that Ryan Mundy delivered to Darius Heyward-Bey, Not even close. The play was a fourth down call by head coach Mike Tomlin in their own territory where the Steelers went for it on a fourth-and-one.With that call to the offense, Tomlin delivered a clear message that he had little to no faith in the defense to stop the Oakland Raiders offense. The Steelers converted that play, but could not finish the drive, something that overshadowed the call, and allowed the Raiders to pull out the victory.

While it is not a shock that the defense has struggled at times without stars James Harrison and Troy Polamalu, but these issues seem to run a lot deeper than those two injured players. During their two losses, the Steelers defense seemed to be outplayed in the second half, unable to either stop the run or pass in either game. In the first loss, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning shredded the defense in the no-huddle with short passes and a balance of run and pass. Sunday, quarterback Carson Palmer did not use the no-huddle, but the balanced attack was there.

Again, some will point to the injured players, but that should be viewed as s a falsity, as this same defense was in place in week two against the New York Jets and they stood up and delivered a physical performance. However, the Jets offense lacks the playmakers in the backfield that the Raiders boast and Mark Sanchez is nowhere near the quarterback that Palmer is.

Sure, the players are at fault as they are the ones that have to make plays, but schematically, the Steelers do not match-up well with a short controlled passing attack. For some this is no surprise, as memories of the 2009 season begin to creep into mind. It is hard to forget that season or this offensive game plan, one that has killed the Pittsburgh defense on-and-off for the past few seasons, especially that season.

With the bye week on tap, the coaching staff and defensive players must stand-up and face a tough reality. If they do not fix this fundamental flaw, it will be a long season in Pittsburgh.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._2009/11803183
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #64
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,820 Times in 4,477 Posts

in the middle of the 3rd qtr the raiders faced 3rd and 1 inside the steelers 10. hand off to mcfadden. l. foote knives in the hole like a speeding bullet, in perfect position to make the tackle for a loss (forcing a fg) and simply misses. 1st down. raiders score a td 3 plays later and cuts the lead 24-21.

good defensive call, but mcfadden, easilly being a top 100 player in this league, wins that round like he is supposed to.

easilly correctable.

moving on
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #65
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Timmons used to run like a deer - now he must be on Woodley and Ziggy's bulk up poundage menu - they all look fat and slow
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #66
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Timmons used to run like a deer - now he must be on Woodley and Ziggy's bulk up poundage menu - they all look fat and slow
Timmons actually lost weight, which makes things all the more confusing.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #67
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,820 Times in 4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Timmons actually lost weight.
so did ziggy and woodley.

many fans watch the games wearing beer goggles, ESPECIALLY the games that start late afternoon or in the evenings.

maybe people will become more observant with their viewing analysis once we actually play an early game.

maybe the steelers will get back to their winning ways- (make no mistake, the players love a normal routine and those early day starts... especially at home).
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #68
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so did ziggy and woodley.

many fans watch the games wearing beer goggles, ESPECIALLY the games that start late afternoon or in the evenings.

maybe people will become more observant with their viewing analysis once we actually play an early game.

maybe the steelers will get back to their winning ways- (make no mistake, the players love a normal routine and those early day starts... especially at home).
Killer pointed out that "Timmons used to run like a deer" and insinuated that maybe he's put on weight and can't do so anymore. I'm simply bringing it to his attention that Timmons actually shed some pounds this offseason, and for whatever reason he "seems" to be slower isn't because of his weight at all.

As you pointed out earlier, Foote ran like a speeding bullet and overran a tackle. Maybe Timmons is being hesitant for that very reason?
Your guess is as good as mine.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #69
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Here is the reason 2 players will make this defense better:
Clark simply makes Troy better, Troy knows Clark can tackle, wont be out of position and can cover. Clark knkws Troys tendencies and know where the holes will be whne Troy is being Troy. Having Mundy in either position kills our secondary as he has shown to be a subpar tackler, tends to over pursue, and is not the best in coverage. Troy and Clark are as good a tandem as you can get at safety, but they need to be out together. Troy and Clark together stuffed the Jets, the othe 2 games we were shredded.
Harrison demands a double team and still pushes the pocket over to Woodley. If you double team both Harrison and Woodley someone else will go free to pressure. Harrison and Woodley are a team, together they wreak havoc, seperately we get no pressure.
Two players hold the key to our def woes, not individually, but what they allow others to do in their presence.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers D wilts without Polamalu

Pittsburgh needs to get injured star safety back on the field

Updated: September 25, 2012
By Vince Verhei | Football Outsiders

Despite four touchdowns from Ben Roethlisberger and a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Pittsburgh Steelers fell to the Oakland Raiders 34-31 on Sunday. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin looked on helplessly as his defense allowed the Raiders to score three touchdowns and two field goals on their final five drives.

It was so bad that Tomlin ordered his offense to go for it on fourth-and-1 with less than four minutes to go in a tie game at his own 29-yard line. Failure would have handed the ball to Oakland in field goal range, but Tomlin apparently felt that if he punted, he couldn't trust his defense to get a stop. The Steelers picked up the first down, but the drive later stalled and Pittsburgh punted on fourth-and-9.

Oakland promptly drove 49 yards for the winning field goal as time expired, proving that Tomlin's lack of faith in his defense was justified. While the loss was obviously disappointing for Tomlin and the Steelers, it shouldn't have been terribly surprising, because Troy Polamalu was in street clothes. When Polamalu is on the field, the Steelers play defense as well as any team in football. Without him, they suddenly become very vulnerable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...-troy-polamalu
Yep - same thing happened in 2009 when the defense kept coughing up 4th quarter leads with an injured Troy on the bench, with the low point for me being the Oakland loss at home
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote